Subject: SC22 N2756 - SC24 and SC29 Liaison Reports for the August 1998 SC22 Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 13:10:05 -0400 (EDT)

_______________________ beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A. (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2756

TITLE:
Liaison Report on SC24 and SC29 Activities for the August 1998 JTC 1/SC22
Plenary

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-07-07

SOURCE
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Liaison Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax: +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________ end of title page; beginning of report __________________

                LIAISON REPORT ON SC24 AND SC29 ACTIVITIES
                  FOR THE AUGUST 1998 JTC 1/SC22 PLENARY

SC24 continues to use Java in graphics and other work. They set up a
working group to follow Java standardization activities. Although Sun's
PAS application has changed the Java standardization situation, we have
remained in contact.

SC29 has put me on their general mailing list, but we didn't work on any
specific issues together. I found this an unsatisfactory liaison
relationship.

With the recent JTC1 reorganization in the areas covered by SC24 and SC29
(the two SC's are to work together under Method B and encouraged to move
to Method A (basically a single SC)) and with the Sun PAS approach to Java
standardization, I feel that I am no longer the most appropriate one to
serve as a liaison from SC22. Although I remain happy to work on any
specific issue, I would like to be relieved of the general liaison
responsibility here.

Bob Mathis

________________ end of SC22 N2756 _______________________________