Subject: SC22 N2744 - Summary of Voting on PDAM1 to IS 14515-1 - POSIX System API Realtime Extension (C Language)

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:44:10 -0400 (EDT)

_____________________ beginning of title page ________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2744

TITLE:
Summary of Voting on PDAM Approval for PDAM1 to IS 14515-1: Information
technology - Test Methods Specifications for Measuring Conformance to
POSIX - Part 1: System Application Program Interface (API) - Amendment 1:
Realtime Extension (C Language)

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-06-29

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Summary of Voting

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.14515-1.02

STATUS:
WG15 is requested to prepare a Disposition of Comments Report and a
recommendation on the further processing of the PDAM.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI to SC22 Member Bodies
ACT to WG15

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2647

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_________ end of title page; beginning of overall summary ______________

                          SUMMARY OF VOTING ON

Letter Ballot Reference No:   SC22 N2647
Circulated by:                JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:             1998-02-16
Closing Date:                 1998-06-02
Extended to:                  1998-06-22 (at the request of Australia)

SUBJECT:  PDAM Approval Ballot for PDAM1 to IS 14515-1: Information
technology - Test Methods Specifications for Measuring Conformance to
POSIX - Part 1: System Application Program Interface (API) - Amendment 1:
Realtime Extension (C Language)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
The following responses have been received on the subject of approval:

"P" Members supporting approval              
     without comment                         8
 
"P" Members supporting approval
     with comment                            0

"P" Members not supporting approval          2

"P" Members abstaining:                      4

"P" Members not voting:                      8

"O" Members supporting approval
     without comment                         1

"O" Members abstaining:                      1

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Secretariat Action:

WG15 is requested to prepare a Disposition of Comments Report and make a
recommendation on the further processing of the PDAM.

The comment accompanying the abstention vote from France was "Due to lack
of resources."  The comment accompanying the abstention vote from
Netherlands and Sweden was "Due to lack of expertise".  The comment
accompanying the abstention vote from the USA and the comments
accompanying the negative votes from Germany and the United Kingdom are
attached.

_______________ end of overall summary; beginning of detail summary ____

                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY

PROJECT NO:    JTC 1.22.14515-1.02

SUBJECT:  PDAM Approval Ballot for PDAM1 to IS 14515-1: Information
technology - Test Methods Specifications for Measuring Conformance to
POSIX - Part 1: System Application Program Interface (API) - Amendment 1:
Realtime Extension (C Language)
          
Reference Document No:  N2233           Ballot Document No:  N2647
Circulation Date:   1998-02-16          Closing Date:  1998-06-02 
                                        Extended to:   1998-06-22            
                                        (At request of Australia)            
  
Circulated To: SC22 P, O, L             Circulated By: Secretariat

                  SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                     Approve  Disapprove  Abstain Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia               (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Austria                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Belgium                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Brazil                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)    
Canada                  ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
China                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic          ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Denmark                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Egypt                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Finland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France                  ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Germany                 ( )      (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )
Ireland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Japan                   (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Netherlands             ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Norway                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Romania                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Russian Federation      ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Slovenia                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
UK                      ( )      (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )
Ukraine                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
USA                     ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )

'O' Members Voting

Korea Republic          (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Sweden                  ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )

________ end of detail summary; beginning of comments _________________

COMMENT ACCOMPANYING THE NEGATIVE VOTE FROM GERMANY

"We disapprove the draft for the following reason:
 
In our view the test assertions presented by the PDAM1 are antiquated.
There are two realtime test systems used in the global market which are
independent from the requirements of the PDAM.  So the test assertions of
the PDAM are not verifiable by implementations, and the  have not passed
a quality assurance level.

Therefore, we disapprove the PDAM and propose to cancel the project due
to a lack of market relevance."

COMMENT ACCOMPANYING THE NEGATIVE VOTE FROM UNITED KINGDOM

"We have several general concerns against progressing this to the status
of an ISO standard.

The slow progress of development and the small number of active
participants in its development leads to a question of continued market
relevance.  The development organization should review the progress of
this project, assure continued market relevance, consider changes to
improve progress, and report back to WG15.

Unlike IS 14515, this work is not being validated by implementations of
test suites.  The lack of validation leads to concerns over the accuracy
of the final standard.  As such until the accuracy of the standard can be
assured we cannot approve this for ISO status."

COMMENT ACCOMPANYING THE ABSTENTION VOTE FROM THE USA

"A substantial number of Members of the US committee responsible for
developing a US position on this document expressed several general
concerns against progressing this to the status of an ISO/IEC standard, as
expressed below, but the result did not constitute a consensus position.

The slow progress of development and the small number of active
participants in its development leads to a question of continued market
relevance.  The development organization should review the progress of
this project, assure continued market relevance, consider changes to
improve progress and report back to WG15 or alternatively withdraw the
work item.

Unlike IS 14515, this work is not being validated by implementations of
test suites.  The lack of validation leads to concerns over the accuracy
of the final standard.  As such until the accuracy of the standard can be
assured, some believe that JTC 1 should withdraw the work item."

_______________________ end of SC22 N2744 ______________________________