Subject: SC22 N2743 - Convener Report - DIS 16262 Resolution of Comments Meeting

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:17:38 -0400 (EDT)

__________________ beginning of title page ___________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2743

TITLE:
Report of the Convener, Resolution of Comments Meeting on DIS 16262 -
ECMAScript: A General Purpose Cross-Platform Programming Language
(Fast-track Process)

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-06-29

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Other

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.16262

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2706

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_________ end of title page; beginning of report ______________________

            Report of the Convener, Resolution of Comments Meeting 
                         on DIS-16262, June 15, 1998

The Ballot Resolution meeting for DIS 16262 ECMAScript was held Monday,
June 15, 1998, at Sun Microsystems, in Menlo Park, California. Only the
US sent a delegation. The ECMA Project Editor (Mike Cowlishaw) and other
ECMA TC-39 members were also present.

I convened the meeting and led the discussion of the draft Disposition of
Comments Report. The resulting final version is being sent both
electronically (HTML) and printed

ECMA TC-39 very much appreciated the detailed reviews done by ISO/IEC
members. In response to these comments, the document was improved even
though the changes were very minor/.

The Japanese and Danish comments related to character set issues were
responded to as affirmatively as possible without changing the basic
technical approach and maintaining consistency with current practice. The
ECMA group (TC-39) would like to maintain a more active liaison with these
countries during the development of the next version of ECMAScript.

The French suggestion was accepted so I assume their vote would change to
"approval." I do not expect that any other country would change their vote.
Therefore the standard is approved.

Mike Cowlishaw is revising the document in line with the Disposition of
Comments Report. He indicated you had sent him some editorial comments from
ITTF, which he will also incorporate. He will be submitting the revised
text to the ECMA General Assembly for adoption as a revision of the ECMA
Standard and to ITTF for publication as ISO/IEC 16262.

Approval has been very quick and smooth in this case because of close
cooperation in the industry and between ECMA and ISO/IEC. The first meeting
of ECMA TC-39 was in November 1996; the first version of ECMA-262 was
approved in June 1997; the ISO/IEC ballot lasted from October 1997 to April
1998; and the final coordinated ISO/IEC 16262 and ECMA 262 will be
published during the summer of 1998. Less than two years between the first
meeting and the ISO/IEC publication of this standard is probably some kind
of record.

I think this successfully completes our work. If there are any remaining
questions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely yours,

Robert F. Mathis
Convener, DIS 16262 Ballot Resolution Meeting

______________________ end of SC22 N2743 ______________________________