Subject: SC22 N2741 - Disposition of Comments Report for DTR 15581

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 17:41:43 -0400 (EDT)

_________________ beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2741

TITLE:
Disposition of Comments Report for DTR 15581 - Information technology -
Programming languages - Enhanced Data Type Facilities in Fortran

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-06-29

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Disposition of Comments Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.02.01.04

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2687

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

______________ end of title page; beginning of report ________________

      Disposition of Comments on Approval Ballot for DTR 15581
           Information technology - Programming languages
              Enhanced Data Type Facilities in Fortran

Both the United States and the United Kingdom submitted idential comments
(which originated from the Project Editor):

(1) Section 3 of the DTR misses a necessary edit to a constraint in
Fortran that currently prohibits allocatable dummy arguments and function
results.  This is in contradiction to sections 2.2 and 2.3 of the DTR,
which discuss  such entities.

Add the following edit in section 3 of the DTR.

5.1, R501-R506, 3rd constraint [48:1-2]

Delete: "that is not a dummy argument or a function result"

(2) The DTR fails to specify the semantics of deallocation of objects with
allocatable components. This specification was part of the original
(Fortran 95) requirement but was accidentally omitted when it was
converted to a TR.

Add a new paragraph to section 2.4 (after the existing second para):

"Deallocation of a variable containing an ultimate allocatable array
component automatically deallocates all such components of the variable
that are currently allocated."

Add the following edit in section 3 of the DTR.

6.3.3.1, new paragraph at end of section [83:18+]

"When a variable of derived type is deallocated, any ultimate component
that is a currently allocated allocatable array is deallocated (as if by
a DEALLOCATE statement."

Both of these comments have been accepted and the recommended changes have
been made to the document.

There were no other comments.

___________________ end of SC22 N2741 ________________________________