Subject: SC22 N2739 - Netherlands National Body Activity Report for August 1998 SC22 Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 17:26:18 -0400 (EDT)

___________________ beginning of title page ______________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2739

TITLE:
Netherlands National Body Activity Report for the August 1998 SC22 Plenary

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-06-29

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Activity Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
Discussion of this document will be an agenda item for the August 1998 JTC
1/SC22 Plenary

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

__________ end of title page; beginning of report ____________________

          National Activity Report from the Netherlands
            to the SC22 Plenary, Copenhagen (Denmark)
                      24-27 August 1998

The Dutch Programming Language Committee has currently 16 members
and meets 2-3 times per year to discuss SC22 issues and, when
necessary, relevant JTC1 documents.

There is active participation from the Netherlands in the SC22
WGs on COBOL, Fortran, Ada, Bindings, C, Modula-2, POSIX and C++.
Other SC22 projects, such as APL, M(umps), VDM, Prolog and
Internationalization are followed on a more individual basis.

With respect to SC22 document N2674 - List of SC22 Standards for
Periodic Review in 1999, NNI advises to withdraw ISO/IEC 11730:1994 -
Form Interface Management System (FIMS). All other mentioned
documents should be re-confirmed.

With respect to the voting on ISO/IEC DIS 15897 - Procedures for
European Registration of Cultural Elements, NNI notes the following.
The original WG20 proposal for an NWI on Cultural Convention Sets
Registry (see SC22 N1513) was withdrawn after the ballot (SC22 N1573,
result: 5 YES votes, 3 NO votes) by WG20 (the WG20 minutes of their
meeting in Oxford mention as decision "tactical withdrawn"; see
SC22 N1641). The main reason for the lack of support was that the
whole issue of Cultural Conventions was not yet well understood, 
that the development of the `base' document on Specifications for
Cultural Conventions (CD 14652) was still in its early stages (at
that time) and that the latter document should first be adopted
before the issue of registration could be considered. Therefore, we
were very surprised to see that the European Pre-standard ENV 12005
was actually presented for adoption under the fast-track procedure,
while CD 14652 is still in the CD stage. From correspondence between
Mr. K. Brannon (ITTF) and Mr. B Follett (SC22 Chair), included in
the results on the fast-track ballot (SC22 N2717), it looks as if
CEN (in its TC304) tries to get an ISO Registry standard `through the
backdoor' as SC22 closed the front-door. We consider this an
improper use of the CEN and ISO rules.
Our position remains:
1- first 14652 should be standardized;
2- then experience should be gained in using 14652;
3- then it should be considered whether a registry standard is
necessary.

W.F. Wakker, chairman
June 1998

______________ end of SC22 N2739 _________________________________

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
!
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               !
!