Subject: SC22 N2731 - Ireland National Body Activity Report for August SC22 Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 12:44:46 -0400 (EDT)

______________________ beginning of title page _______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2731

TITLE:
Ireland National Body Activity Report for the August 1998 SC22 Plenary

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-06-11

SOURCE
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
National Body Activity Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
Discussion of this document will be an agenda item for the August 1998 JTC
1/SC22 Plenary

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI 

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________ end of title page; beginning of report __________________

IRELAND NATIONAL BODY ACTIVITY REPORT FOR THE AUGUST 1998 SC22 PLENARY

In this field, the Irish Member Body really has as its particular interest
only one WG of SC22, namely SC22/WG20, which is concerned with sorting the
UCS. Frankly it is a bit burdensome to have to deal with all the SC22
correspondence and make sure Ireland votes on time and so forth when
interest in this area in general by people in Ireland other than the expert
currently attending SC22/WG20 is currently rather low. Having discussed
this with members of our national committee, we point out the following:

1. The chief reason Ireland became a P-Member of SC22 was because there was
a danger that there would not be enough P-Member participation in WG20 and
it was a formal requirement.

2. The Irish national position on the JTC1 restructuring is that a new
Technical Direction should be established comprising at least the work
items of JTC1/SC2 and JTC1/SC22/WG20. We are disappointed that the chair of
SC22 has not made a recommendation to JTC1 in this regard.

3. We continue to participate in the work of SC22 solely because of our
interest in the work of SC22/WG20 pending the decision of JTC1 on the
matter.

_____________________ end of SC22 N2731 _____________________________