Subject: SC22 N2727 - WG17 Convener's Report for SC22 Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 13:00:38 -0400 (EDT)

_______________ beginning of title page __________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2727

TITLE:
WG17 Business Plan and WG17 Convener's Report for the August 1998 JTC
1/SC22 Plenary - PLENARY AGENDA ITEM

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-06-10

SOURCE
Secretriat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
WG Convener's Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
This document will be on the agenda for the August 1998 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax: +1 (703) 912-2973
email: [email-masked]

____________________ end of title page; beginning of report _______

 BUSINESS PLAN AND CONVENER'S REPORT: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG17 (PROLOG)

PERIOD COVERED: 
June 1997 - May 1998

SUBMITTED BY: 
R S Scowen  (ISO/IEC JTC1 SC22 WG17 Convener)
9 Birchwood Grove, Hampton, Middlesex
United Kingdom     TW12 3DU
E-mail: [email-masked]
8 June 1998

1. MANAGEMENT SUMMARY

1.1 JTC1/SC22/WG17 STATEMENT OF SCOPE 

  Development of ISO/IEC standards related to the programming language
  Prolog.

1.2 PROJECT REPORT 

1.2.1 COMPLETED PROJECTS 

JTC1.22.22.01 -- ISO/IEC 13211-1 Prolog - Part 1: General core

  ISO/IEC 13211-1 was published in June 1995.  So far, no serious
  problems have been reported.

1.2.2 PROJECTS UNDERWAY 

JTC1.22.22.02 -- ISO/IEC 13211-2 Prolog - Part 2: Modules

  CD 13211-2 was approved in a ballot ending in January 1997. A
  disposition of comments has been published (SC22 N2578), and the FCD,
  originally is scheduled for December 1997, will be published in May 1998
  as SC22 N2xxx (=WG17 N159).

  If necessary, a meeting wil be scheduled to handle the Disposition 
  of Comments and prepare the publication of the DIS.

1.2.3 NEW PROJECTS

  None.

1.2.4 COOPERATION AND COMPETITION 

  WG17 has always tried to cooperate with the whole Prolog community.
  Although many are not well aware of Prolog and its unique
  functionality, there are many important applications.  Where
  appropriate, WG17 has established contact with other SC22 working
  groups. There is no direct competition with any other efforts.

2.0 PERIOD REVIEW 

2.1 MARKET REQUIREMENTS 

  The Prolog user community has not expressed any wish for changes or
  extensions to ISO/IEC 13211-1 except for the definition of a module
  facility (which will be Part 2).

2.2 ACHIEVEMENTS 

  ISO/IEC 13211-1 (Prolog, General core) was published in June 1995.

  FCD 13211-2 (Modules) was published in May 1998.

  SC22 WG17's web site is:
    http://www.sju.edu/~jhodgson/wg17/wg17web.html

2.3 RESOURCES 

  Although resources in general are declining, the future of the
  current WG17 projects seems to be secured.  There is a project editor
  and backup project editor for Part 2 as well as for the completed
  core Language Standard.

3.0 FOCUS NEXT WORK PERIOD 

  For the upcoming work period, WG17's main task will be resolving 
  comments received from ISO/IEC FCD 13211-2 and the preparation, 
  publication, and balloting of of the DIS for Part 2.

3.1 DELIVERABLES 

  ISO/IEC 13211-2 Prolog - Part 2: Modules 
  Final CD - Disposition of comments      1998-12-31
  Publication of DIS                      1999-02-28
  Camera ready copy of standard to ITTF   1999-09-30
  
3.2 STRATEGIES 

  The final CD has been considered inside WG17 prior to publication 
  in order to try and obtain the maximum possible agreement from the
  countries who voted 'NO' to the CD.

3.2.1 RISKS 

  Further heavy technical comment could delay the Part 2 DIS and standard.  
  However, no problems are anticipated.

3.2.2 OPPORTUNITIES 

  The standard will undoubtedly be more widely adopted when it is freely
  available electronically over the web.

3.3 WORK PROGRAM PRIORITIES 

  The completion of ISO/IEC 13211-2 has priority at present.

4. OTHER ITEMS 

  This section lists other items that are not part of the "Business
  Plan" but are appropriate for Convener's Report.

4.1 POSSIBLE ACTION REQUEST AT FORTHCOMING PLENARY

  None.

4.2 CONVENERS AND PROJECT EDITOR

  Roger Scowen is WG17 convener, his term of office expires in 2000.

  The following individuals have been appointed project editors and
  backup project editors, respectively:

  JTC1.22.22.01 -- Prolog, Base Language
    Roger Scowen (main), Jonathan Hodgson (backup)

  JTC1.22.22.02 -- Prolog, Modules
    Jonathan Hodgson (main), Roger Scowen (backup)

4.4 ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT DISTRIBUTION

  WG17 has been working over e-mail for a considerable time now, and
  all recent discussions and decisions within the working group 
  have been taken using e-mail.

4.5 RECENT MEETING

  The last meeting of WG17 took place at Schliersee, Bavaria, Germany,
  28-30 April 1997.

4.6 FUTURE MEETINGS

  As soon as the end of the Final CD ballot for ISO/IEC 13211-2 is
  known, a meeting will be scheduled to handle the Disposition of
  Comments and the preparation of the DIS.

__________________ end of SC22 N2727 _______________________________