Subject: SC22 N2725 - Vote Summary on PDAM5 to IS 9945-1 - POSIX System API - C Language

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 11:50:02 -0400 (EDT)

_____________________ beginning of title page ________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2725

TITLE:
Summary of Voting on PDAM5 to IS 9945-1: Information technology - Portable
Operating System Interface (POSIX) - Part 1: System Application Program
Interface (API) (C Language)

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-06-08

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Summary of Voting

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.39

STATUS:
WG15 is requested to prepare a Disposition of Comments Report and make a
recommendation on the further processing of the PDAM.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
ACT to WG15
FYI to SC22 Member Bodies

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2648

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________ end of title page; beginning of overall summary ________

                        SUMMARY OF VOTING ON:

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N2648
Circulated by:               JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:            1998-02-16
Closing Date:                1998-06-02

SUBJECT:  PDAM Approval Ballot for PDAM5 to IS 9945-1: Information
technology - Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) - Part 1: System
Application Program Interface (API) (C Language)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
The following responses have been received on the subject of approval:

"P" Members supporting approval
      without comments                    13

"P" Members supporting approval
      with comments                        1

"P" Members not supporting approval        2

"P" Members abstaining                     1

"P" Members not voting                     5

"O" Members supporting approval
      without comments                     1

"O" Members abstaining                     1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Secretariat Action:

WG15 is requested to prepare a Disposition of Comments Report and make a
recommendation on the further processing of the PDAM.

The comment accompanying the abstention vote from France was:  "AFNOR
abstains due to lack of resources."  The comment accompanying the
abstention vote from Sweden was:  "Abstain, due to lack of expertise."

The comments accompanying the affirmative vote from Canada and the
comments accompanying the negative votes from Germany and the USA are
attached.

___________ end of overall summary; beginning of detail summary ________
                      JC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY

PROJECT NO:    JTC 1.22.39

SUBJECT:  PDAM Approval Ballot for PDAM5 to IS 9945-1: Information
          technology - Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) - Part
          1: System Application Program Interface (API)(C Language)
          
Reference Document No:  N2648           Ballot Document No:  N2648
Circulation Date:   1998-02-16          Closing Date:  1998-06-02 
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, O, L             Circulated By: Secretariat

                  SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                      Approve Disapprove  Abstain Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia               (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Austria                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Belgium                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Brazil                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)    
Canada                  (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )
China                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic          (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Denmark                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Egypt                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Finland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France                  ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Germany                 ( )      (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )
Ireland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Japan                   (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Netherlands             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Romania                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Russian Federation      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Slovenia                (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
UK                      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Ukraine                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
USA                     ( )      (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )

'O' Members Voting

Korea Republic          (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Sweden                  ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )

____________ end of detail summary; beginning of comments _________

COMMENT ACCOMPANYING THE AFFIRMATIVE VOTE FROM CANADA

"We recommend that the current IEEE draft be substituted."

COMMENT ACCOMPANYING THE NEGATIVE VOTE FROM GERMANY

"For the time being there is an IEEE Institutional Ballot with further
modifications proposed by the Open Group.  SC 22 should wait and see the
changes, and proceed with the PDAM afterwards."

COMMENT ACCOMPANYING THE NEGATIVE VOTE FROM THE USA

"There are unresolved issues at the IEEE level with respect to the
document on which this PDAM is based:  IEEE Draft Standard P1003.1a, Draft
14, that need to be resolved before the US should forward this work for
approval at the ISO/IEC level."

_________________ end of SC22 N2725_______________________________________