Subject: SC22 N2724 - Explanatory Report for FPDISP 15287.01

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 1998 16:11:07 -0400 (EDT)

_________________ beginning of title page ____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A. (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2724

TITLE:
Explanatory Report to Accompany the Final Proposed DISP Ballot for FPDISP
15287.01 - Information technology - Portable Operating System Interface
(POSIX) - Standardized Application Environment Profile - POSIX-Based
Supercomputing Application Environment Profile (AEP)

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-06-02

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Explanatory Report for Final Proposed DISP Ballot

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.15287.01

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2723

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

__________________ end of title page; beginning of report ____________

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG15 Nxxx

Title:	Explanatory Report for submission of IEEE Std 1003.10-1995 -
IEEE Standard for Information Technology - POSIX-Based Supercomputing
Application Environment Profile.

Source:	J. T. Oblinger, ISO Project Editor JTC1/SC22/WG15

Date:	1997-11-14

Purpose:	To accompany the submission of profile POSIX 1003.10 to
SC22 for PDISP/DISP processing.

Contact point:
J. T. Oblinger, ISO Project Editor JTC1/SC22/WG15
Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Division Newport
Code 2233, Bldg 1171-2
Newport, Rhode Island, 02841-1708 USA
Tel:  +1 401 841 4381 x21366,  Fax: +1 401 841 2130
email:  [email-masked]

A. General profile information

1.	Profile identifier

The taxonomy identifier POSIX 1003.10, ISO Project Number 15287-01,
applies to this PDISP is: PSE 10-HIP	Supercomputing Application
Environment Profile.

2.	Profile title

POSIX-Based Supercomputing Application Environment Profile

3.	Submitting organisation and contact point

The submitting organisation is:
Attn:  Mr M. Deane 
ANSI
11 West 42nd Street
New York, New York  10036
Tel:  +1 212 642 4992
Email:  [email-masked]

The individual who will serve as the contact point during the review and
approval process is the editor of this PDISP part:
		Mr. James T. Oblinger
		Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Division Newport
		Code 2233, Building 1171/2
		Tel:  +1 401 841 4381 x21366, 
		Fax:  +1 401 841 2130

4.	Date of notification to SGFS

The submitting organisation has provided SGFS with regular copies of its
Program of Work, in which the target submission date for POSIX-based
profiles is included.

5.	Declaration of commitment to maintain
PASC undertakes that this PDISP will be maintained.  The contact point
for maintenance is the PASC Chairman, may be contacted via the IEEE
Computer whose address is given above.

Base standards referenced
1.	List of international standards referenced
-	ISO1001:1986	Information processing - File Structure and
        labeling of magnetic tapes for information interchange.
-	ISO/IEC 1539:1991,	Information technology - Programming
        Languages - FORTRAN.
-	ISO 8652:1987	(ANSI/MIL 1815A-1983),	Programming Languages -
        Ada.
-	ISO/IEC 9899:1990	(ANSI X3-159),	Programming Languages - C.
-	ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990	(IEEE Std 1003.1-1990),	Information
        Technology Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) - Part
        1:System Application Program Interface (API) [C Language].
-	ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993	(IEEE Std 1003.2-1992),	Information
        Technology Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) - Part
        2:Shell and Utilities
-	IEEE Std 1003.1b-1993,	IEEE Standard for Information Technology -
        Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) - Part 1: Application
        Program Interface (API) [C Language] - Amendment: Realtime
        Extensions.
-	IEEE Std 1003.2d-1994,	IEEE Standard for Information Technology -
        Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) - Part 2: Shell and
        Utilities - Batch Extensions.
-	IEEE Std 1003.5-1992,	IEEE Standard for Information Technology -
        POSIX Ada Language Interfaces - Part 1: Binding for System
        Application Program Interface (API).
-	IEEE Std 1003.9-1992,	IEEE Standard for Information Technology -
        POSIX FORTRAN 77 Language Interfaces - Part 1: Binding for System
        Application Program Interface (API).
-	IEEE Std 1224.2-1993,	IEEE Standard for Information Technology -
        Directory Services - Application Program Interfaces (API)
        ]Language Independent]
.       ANSI X3.9-1978 (Reaff. 1989), Programming Language FORTRAN.

All referenced international standards have either been published or have
completed the approval process and are awaiting publication.

2.	Compliance with documentation requirements on conformance

The documentation requirements in ISO/IEC TR 10000-1 on conformance have been met in so far as they are applicable to this PDISP.

3.	Non-compliance with base standards

There are no aspects of actual or potential non-compliance with the base
standards.

4.	Amendments and technical corrigenda

Other than those referenced in section B.1 there are no amendments or
technical corrigenda that are considered to have a potential impact on
inter-working and no such amendments are referred to in this PDISP.

C. Relationship to other publications

1.	List of regional or national standards referenced

No national or regional standards are referenced in this PDISP part.

D. Profile purpose

1.	Executive summary

The purpose of the POSIX 1003.10 is 

To define a supercomputing application environment profile, based on the
POSIX suite of standards, in order to provide application and user
portability in a supercomputing environment.

To identify additional supercomputing requirements not currently met by
formal standards.

2.	Relationship to other ISPs and usage of common text 
This profile is one of four POSIX Profiles being developed.  Two for
these four have been approved and published within IEEE.  It is the
intent of this Explanatory report to bring these profiles forward to the
ISO/IEC.

E. PDISP development process

1.	Origin and development history

This PDISP has been developed by PASC.

2.	Openness and Harmonisation
Participation in PASC, as in all IEEE standards activities, is open to any
individual who wishes to participate. While there is no requirement that
PASC participants be IEEE members, membership in the IEEE is encouraged 
of all PASC participants. Once a draft standard is completed and enters
the balloting process, only IEEE members are permitted to vote on its
ratification as an official IEEE standard.

There are two levels of participation in PASC. The first, and most
important, is participation in quarterly PASC meetings. These meetings
are held throughout the United States (and periodically in Europe). The
second is to participate through receiving, reviewing, and commenting on
PASC Working Group materials that are distributed eight times per year.
These distributions have traditionally been conducted via paper, but are
now also available through the Internet.  

3.	Joint planning between submitting organisation and SC22

There has been no joint planning operation between the submitting
organisation and SC22.

F. ISP Content and Format

1.	Compliance with requirements of TR 10000-1 on content and format

The requirements of clauses 6.3, 8 and annex A of TR 10000-1 on the
content and format of an ISP have been met.

2.	Divergence from requirements of TR 10000-1

There is no divergence from the requirements of TR 10000-1 on the content
and format of an ISP.

3.	Multi-part structure

POSIX 1003-10 has a single-part structure.

G. Any other pertinent information

None

____________________ end of SC22 N2724 _____________________________