Subject: SC22 N2716 - Disposition of Comments Report for 10514-3 - Object Oriented Modula-2

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 16:49:44 -0400 (EDT)

_________________ beginning of title page ___________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat: U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2716

TITLE:
Disposition of Comments Report for DIS 10514-3: Information technology -
Programming languages - Modula-2, Part 3: Object Oriented Modula-2

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-05-14

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Disposition of Comments Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.18.02

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2614

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

________________ end of title page; beginning of report ____________
 
                   Disposition of Comments Report on
DIS 10514-3 (Information technology - Programming languages - Modula-2,
                    Part 3: Object Oriented Modula-2)

Status: This document constitutes the responses to comments
generated in the final round of voting on IS 10514-3

Summary: The IS for object oriented extensions to Modula-2
generated a number of comments during the second voting cycle. The
purpose of this paper is to allow WG13 to respond to the National
Bodies.

Format: The comments from the national bodies have been reproduced
exactly as passed to the author and these have been interspersed   
with the suggested responses. In the case of the United States  
comments, numbering has been added.

Germany:

DIN votes YES with the following (editorial) comments:

a) Table of contents: Fix the page nbrs (starting with section 2,
   they begin to diverge by an increasing amount of up to 5 pages).

Response: The project editor has made this correction.

b) Table of contents: Line "Annex B: Changes to the Syntax of the
   Base "Language" (informative)" [= add "Language" after "Base"]

Response: The project editor has made this correction.

c) section "4.6 Errors": change the NOTE to read as follows: "The
   intent of this provision is to allow a version of Modula-2 to
   support _e.g._ both object oriented and generic _(see ISO
   10514-2)_." [= replace "say" by "e.g." and delete "if a
   standard ... were ... adopted"]

   Reason: Documents that have reached DIS level may be referenced
   directly.

Response: The project editor has made this correction, but spelling out
"for example".

d) section "6.1.2 Class Declaration", subsection "Declaration
   Semantics", 2nd line: Add a period (".") between "class type"
   and "As classes".

Response: The project editor has made this correction.

e) section "6.1.7 Class Components", subsection "Declaration
   Semantics", 4th line: Add a period (".") after "object".

Response: The project editor has made this correction.

f) section "6.1.8 Overridden Methods", subsection "Static
   Semantics", 2nd paragraph, 2nd line: "... will result in _a_
   compilation error." [= "a" instead of "an"]

Response: The project editor has made this correction.

g) section "6.1.10 Destructor", subsection "Dynamic Semantics", 3rd
   line from bottom: Add a period (".") after "superclass".

Response: The project editor has made this correction.

h) section "6.7 Garbage Collection", NOTE 3: "... does not provide
   a means _(for a user of an implementation)_ to replace ..." [=
   add the text in parentheses to clarify who cannot change the
   storage management scheme].

Response: The project editor has made this correction.

i) section "6.8.7 Environment", 3rd line: "This type structure
   Class-structure ..." [= add a blank before "Class-structure"]

Response: The project editor has made this correction.

j) section "7.1.3 Aggregation of the Exceptions of the Language
   Extensions", 2nd line from bottom: "NOTE: A call to an abstract
   method _can_ only occur ..." [= replace "may" by "can" to avoid
   the ISO meaning of "may"]

Response: The project editor has made this correction.

k) Annex C, entry "Ancestor", 2nd line: "... the parent class),
   that ..." [= switch "," and ")"]

Response: The project editor has made this correction.

l) Annex C, entry "Reveal": "To make a component of a class public"
   [= delete "is" before "public"]

Response: The project editor has made this correction.

m) Annex "D6 Constructor and Destructor", 4th line:
   "attribute1 := starting;" [instead of "attribute := 0", as
   'attribute1' is not of type INTEGER].

Response: The project editor has made this correction.

n) Annex "D7 Type Inquiries", 5th line:
   IF ISMEMBER(draw[i], ...) ["draw[i]" instead of "draw", as
   the whole ARRAY cannot be an argument to ISMEMBER]

Response: The project editor has made this correction.

o) Annex "D9 Coroutines and Garbage Collection":
   Fix the spelling of "Main" (upcase) in the TRANSFER statement of
   procedure "P", and of "Workspace" (upcase) in the DISPOSE
   statement at the end of "ModuleX".

Response: The project editor has made these corrections.

p) Annex "E Finalization Order": Add a line of "..." between "CLASS
   Class1;" and "END Class1" in "UNSAFEGUARDED IMPLEMENTATION
   MODULE A;" [as "Meth1" is not an abstract method, its
   declaration must appear here!]

Response: The project editor has made this correction.

q) Annex "E Finalization Order", 2nd last paragraph, 2nd line from
   bottom: "... and thus makes a call to 'B.Proc' which _must_ not
   be called after ..." [= replace "has" by "must"]

Response: The project editor has made this correction.

r) Annex "F Participating Individuals and Organisations": Fix the
   font of the word "Organisations" in the headline, and fix the
   spelling of "Germany" next to the name of Elmar Henne.

Response: The project editor has made these corrections.

Japan

  Japanese National Body does not find any interest in
standardization of the proposed subject, and has consistently shown
its position in JTC1 ReEngineering discussions as well as in project
reviews of SC22.
  Japanese National Body, therefore, has no groups organized to
review the proposal from the technical points and abstains on this
matter.

Response: No substantive issues are raised in this comment.

United States

As the USNB stated in its response to the CD 10514-3 on this project,
the USNB believes that the base standard ISO/IEC 10514 is badly
flawed and believes that there is no point in developing extensions
to that document.

Response: As stated in the responses to comments on the base
standard, and also in response to an identical comment on two
previous versions of this proposal, WG13 believes the base standard
is not flawed. Thus, WG13 believes that it is appropriate to
consider extensions to the base standard. The current comment does
not identify any specific new issues not already dealt with in the
responses to comments on the base standard and that require a new
response.

______________________ end of SC22 N2716 _______________________________