Subject: SC22 N2705 - SC22 Chairman Report on SC22 Comments - Cultural Adaptability Workshop

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 16:08:07 -0400 (EDT)

___________________ beginning of title page __________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A. (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2705

TITLE:
SC22 Chairman's Report on Request for SC22 Comments on the Recommendations
from the JTC 1 Cultural Adaptability Workshop (CAW), January 20-22, 1998
in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-04-30

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Information from SC22 Chairman

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2668

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________ end of title page; beginning of report ___________________

To:  		SC22 Member Bodies

Subject:	Cultural Adaptability Workshop

In document SC22 N2668, the SC22 Secretariat invited SC22 Member Bodies
who wished to comment on the recommendations from the Cultural
Adaptibility Workshop to submit them by April 6 so that an SC22 response
could be prepared.  I would like to thank those Member Bodies who
responded to this request.  

We have received comments from four Member Bodies.  I regret to say
that these four sets of comments are not in agreement and I do not
sense a consensus that could form the basis for an SC22 position.

The Danish Member Body sent in the most extensive comments, giving a
detailed explanation of the issues involved in cultural adaptibility and
the expertise required to deal with them, leading to the conclusion that
SC22/W20 should remain within SC22.  In contrast, the Irish Member Body
favored transfering WG20 out of SC22 and combining the work of WG20 and
SC2 in a single SC.  The UK Member Body felt that the work of WG20
should be combined with the work of SC2 and the work of JTC1/WG5 in a
new SC.  The US Member Body's position on organization is similar to the
UK's.

In view of the above, I do not believe it is possible to submit an SC22
position to JTC1, and I do not plan to do so.  It is unfortunate that we
do not have a plenary in time to discuss this issue and perhaps reach a
consensus.  There is also insufficient time prior to the JTC1 plenary to
conduct a ballot on the alternatives.  Instead, I encourage Denmark,
Ireland, the United Kingdom and the United States to submit their
comments to JTC1 as comments on JTC1 N5219, so that they may be
considered in Sendai in June when this issue will be further discussed
by JTC1.

Bob Follett
Chairman, SC22

______________________ end of SC22 N2705 _____________________________