Subject: CORRECTED SC22 N2695 - Explanatory Report for FPDISP 15287.02

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 13:21:23 -0400 (EDT)

(Note:  The only correction to this document is in the title.  The
Explanatory Report accomapnies a Final Proposed DISP Ballot, not a Final
DISP Ballot.  There are no other changes.)

______________________ beginning of title page ______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2695
Corrected

TITLE:
Explanatory Report to Accompany the Final Proposed DISP Ballot for FPDISP
15287.02 - Information technology - Portable Operating System Interface
(POSIX) - Standardized Application Environment Profile - POSIX Realtime
Application Support (AEP)

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-04-20

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Explanatory Report for Final Proposed DISP Ballot

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.15287.02

STATUS:
The only correction is to the title of the ballot.  This Explanatory
Report accompanies a Final Proposed DISP Ballot, not a Final DISP Ballot.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2594

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email: [email-masked]

______________ end of title page; beginning of report ___________________

Title:	 Explanatory Report for submission of IEEE P1003.13 –IEEE Draft
Standard for Information Technology – Standardized Application
Environment Profile – POSIX Realtime Application Support (AEP)

Source:	J. T. Oblinger, ISO Project Editor JTC1/SC22/WG15

Date:	1997-11-14

Purpose:
To accompany the submission of profile POSIX P1003.13 to SC22 for 
PDISP/DISP processing.

Contact point:
J. T. Oblinger, ISO Project Editor JTC1/SC22/WG15
Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Division Newport
Code 2233, Bldg 1171-2
Newport, Rhode Island, 02841-1708 USA
Tel: 401 841 4381 x21366,   Fax: 401 841 2130
email: [email-masked]

A. General profile information

1.	Profile identifier

There are four taxonomy identifiers for POSIX 1003.13, ISO Project Number
15287-02, that  apply to this PDISP: 
	PSE 51-P	Minimal Realtime System Profile
	PSE 52-P	Realtime Controller System Profile 
	PSE 53-P	Dedicated Realtime System Profile
	PSE 54-IP	Multi-Purpose Realtime System Profile

2.	Profile title

Standardized Application Environment Profile – POSIX Realtime Application Support (AEP)

3.	Submitting organisation and contact point

The submitting organisation is:
Attn:  Mr M. Deane 
ANSI
11 West 42nd Street
New York, New York  10036
Tel:  +1 212 642 4992
Email:  [email-masked]

The individual who will serve as the contact point during the review and
approval process is the editor of this PDISP part:

Mr. James T. Oblinger
Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Division Newport
Code 2233, Bldg 1171/2
Newport, Rhode Island, 02841-1708 USA
Tel: +1 401 841 4381 x21366,   Fax: +1 401 841 2130
email: [email-masked]

4.	Date of notification to SGFS

The submitting organisation has provided SGFS with regular copies of its
Program of Work, in which the target submission date for POSIX-based
profiles is included
.
5.	Declaration of commitment to maintain

PASC undertakes that this PDISP will be maintained.  The contact point
for maintenance is the PASC Chairman, may be contacted via the IEEE
Computer whose address is given above.

B. Base standards referenced

1.	List of international standards referenced
	ISO8652: 1995,	Information Technology - Programming Languages -
Ada [Revision of the first addition (ISO 8652:1987)], 15 February 1995.
-	ISO/IEC 9899: 1990, Information processing systems – Programming
languages - C.
-	ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (IEEE Std 1003.1-1990), Information
Technology - Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) - Part 1:System
Application Program Interface (API) [C Language].
-	ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993 (IEEE Std 1003.2-1992)(includes 1003.2a User
Portability Extension),	Information Technology - Portable Operating System
Interface (POSIX) - Part 2:Shell and Utilities.
-	IEEE Std 1003.1b-1993,	Information Technology - Portable
Operating System Interface (POSIX) - Part 1: Application Program
Interface (API) - Amendment 1: Realtime Extension [C Language].
-	IEEE Std 1003.1i-1995, Information Technology - Portable Operating
System Interface (POSIX) - Part 1: System Application Program Interface
(API) - Amendment: Technical Corrigenda to Realtime Extension [C
Language].
-	IEEE Std 1003.5-1992, IEEE Standard for Information Technology -
POSIX Ada Language Interfaces - Part 1: Binding for System Application
Program Interface (API).
-	IEEE Std 1003.1c-1995, Standard for Information Technology -
Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) - Part 1: System Application
Program Interface (API) - Amendment 2: Threads Extension [C Language].
-	IEEE Std 1003.1g/Dxx,	Standard for Information Technology -
Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) - Part XX: Protocol
Independent Interface (PII).
-	IEEE Std 1003.5b-1996,	Standard for Information Technology -
POSIX Ada Language Interfaces - Part 1: Binding for System Application
Program Interface (API) - Amendment 1: Realtime Extensions

All referenced international standards have either been published or have
completed the approval process and are awaiting publication.

2.  Compliance with documentation requirements on conformance

The documentation requirements in ISO/IEC TR 10000-1 on conformance have
been met in so  far as they are applicable to this PDISP.

3.	Non-compliance with base standards
There are no aspects of actual or potential non-compliance with the base
standards.

4.	Amendments and technical corrigenda

Other than those referenced in section B.1 there are no amendments or
technical corrigenda that are considered to have a potential impact on
inter-working and no such amendments are referred to in this PDISP.

C. Relationship to other publications

1.	List of regional or national standards referenced

No national or regional standards are referenced in this PDISP part.

D. Profile purpose

1.	Executive summary

The purpose of the POSIX 1003.13 is to define realtime application
environments based on the ISO/IEC 9945 series of standards.  This is
intended for realtime system implementers and realtime applications
software developers.

This standard is designed to support building systems where not all the
connected boxes use the  same profile.  For example, one can envision a
hierarchical system where the bottom-level device controllers use the
"minimal" profile, the next level up follows the somewhat larger
"control" profile, and so on.  There are interfaces called out for the
smaller profiles that made sense in an isolated box; those interfaces are
there solely to support the construction of heterogeneous systems, and
systems of communication peers, such systems are very common in practice.

2.	Relationship to other ISPs and usage of common text

This profile is one of four POSIX Profiles being developed.  Two for
these four have been approved and published within IEEE.  It is the
intent of this Explanatory report to bring these profiles forward to the
ISO/IEC.

E. PDISP development process

1.	Origin and development history

This PDISP has been developed by PASC.

2.	Openness and Harmonisation

Participation in PASC, as in all IEEE standards activities, is open to
any individual who wishes to participate. While there is no requirement
that PASC participants be IEEE members, membership in the IEEE is
encouraged of all PASC participants. Once a draft standard is completed
and enters the balloting process, only IEEE members are permitted to vote
on its ratification as an official IEEE standard.

There are two levels of participation in PASC. The first, and most
important, is participation in quarterly PASC meetings. These meetings
are held throughout the United States (and periodically in Europe). The
second is to participate through receiving, reviewing, and commenting on
PASC Working Group materials that are distributed eight times per year.
These distributions have traditionally been conducted via paper, but are
now also available through the Internet.  

3.	Joint planning between submitting organisation and SC22
 
There has been no joint planning operation between the submitting
organisation and SC22.

F. ISP Content and Format

1.	Compliance with requirements of TR 10000-1 on content and format

The requirements of clauses 6.3, 8 and annex A of TR 10000-1 on the
content and format of an ISP have been met.

2.	Divergence from requirements of TR 10000-1

There is no divergence from the requirements of TR 10000-1 on the content
and format of an ISP.

3.	Multi-part structure

POSIX 1003.13 is a multi-part ISP containing a multi-part ISP structure
defining four closely related profiles.  The POSIX 1003.13 standard
defines realtime application environments based on the ISO/IEC 9945
series of standards.  

This standard is designed to support building systems where not all the
interconnected boxes use the same profile.  For example, one can envision
a hierarchical system where the bottom-level device controllers use the
"minimal" profile, the next level up follows the somewhat larger  
"control" profile, and so on.  There are interfaces called out for the  
smaller profiles that make no sense in an isolated box; those interfaces
are there solely to support the construction ofheterogeneous systems, and
systems of communicating peers.  Such systems are very common in practice.

To summarize, this standard is embedded in a much larger and widely
supported set of standards, which yields benefits during code
development, as one does much development and testing on the larger and
more comfortable systems.  It also may be used in the construction of
large and heterogeneous systems.

Four profiles have been defined to reflect the wide range of system
requirements presented by realtime designs.  The intent is to provide a
meaningful and coherent set of interfaces that will provide software
vendors and consumers with a uniform framework for describing and
specifying operating system capabilities.  This allows an application
writer to construct an application that may be easily moved to a
different system that supports the same profile.  Similarly, it allows a 
vendor to claim conformance with an established standard, even if that
vendor's implementation does not support the full POSIX feature set.

G. Any other pertinent information

None

4
 _________________ end of SC22 N2695 _________________________________