Subject: SC22 N2691 - Summary of Voting on Appointment of Larry Jones (USA) as Project Editor of Fortran Revision

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 17:17:10 -0400 (EDT)

_______________________ beginning of title page ________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2691

TITLE:
Summary of Voting on Nomination of Mr. Larry Jones (USA) to be Project
Editor for Project JTC 1.22.20.01 (Revision of ISO/IEC 9899 - Programming
Language C)

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-04-16

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Summary of Voting

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.20.01

STATUS:
WG14 has been notified of the appointment of Mr. Jones.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI to SC22 Member Bodies
ACT to WG14

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2627

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

________ end of title pages; beginning of summary ______________________

                          SUMMARY OF VOTING ON

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N2627
Circulated by:               JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:            1997-12-24
Closing Date:                1998-04-07

SUBJECT:  Nomination of Mr. Larry Jones (USA) to be Project Editor of
Project JTC 1.22.20.01 (Revision of ISO/IEC 9899 - Programming Language C)

------------------------------------------------------------------
The following responses have been received on the subject of appointment:

"P" Members supporting the nomination
      without comment                         10

"P" Members supporting the nomination
      with comment                             0

"P" Members not supporting the nomination      0

"P" Members abstaining                         2

"P" Members not voting                        10

"O" Members supporting the nomination
      without comment                          2

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Secretariat Action:

WG14 has been notified of the appointment of Mr. Jones.

The comments accomapnying the abstention vote from Japan are attached.

_______________ end of summary; beginning of detailed summary _______

                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY

PROJECT NO:    JTC 1.22.20.01

SUBJECT:   Nomination of Mr. Larry Jones (USA) to be Project Editor of 
           Project JTC 1.22.20.01 (Revision of ISO/IEC 9899 - Programming
           Language C)
          
Reference Document No:  N2627           Ballot Document No:  N2627
Circulation Date:   12-24-1997          Closing Date:  04-07-1998 
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, O, L             Circulated By: Secretariat

                  SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                     Approve  Disapprove  Abstain Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia               ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
Austria                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Belgium                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Brazil                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)    
Canada                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
China                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic          (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Denmark                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Egypt                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Finland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Germany                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Ireland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Japan                   ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Netherlands             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Romania                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Russian Federation      ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Slovenia                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
UK                      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Ukraine                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
USA                     (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

'O' Members Voting

Korea Republic          (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Sweden                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

_________ end of detailed summary; beginning of Japan comments _____
                         LETTER BALLOT

FROM THE MEMBER BODY OF _____JAPAN________________________

On the nomination of Mr. Larry Jones (USA) to be Project Editor of Project
JTC 1.22.20.01 (Revision of ISOIEC 9899 - Programming Language C)

This Letter Ballot is to be returned by each "P" Member to the Secretariat
of JTC 1/SC22 by APRIL 7, 1998.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

_____  We support this nomination.

                  or

_____  We do not support this nomination.

                  or

__X__  We abstain from voting (for reasons below).
       (We attached a separate paper as annex)

       ("P" MEMBER BODIES HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO VOTE.)

*   CHECK WHICHEVER APPLIES.

Name (please print) ____________________

Signature (if mailed ___________________  Date: ______________________
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

============================================
Annex:  The Reason of Japan's Abstain Vote
============================================

The National Body of Japan abstains from SC22 N 2627 voting
for reasons below.

The Project Editor of Project JTC 1.22.20.01 (Revision of
ISOIEC 9899 - Programming Language C) was already assigned
to Frank Farance, and the backup project editor was assigned
to David Keaton.  Please refer the following documents:

    N1787 - Nomination of Frank Farance (USA) as project
            editor for JTC1 22.20.01 (revision of ISO/IEC
            9899 C) and letter ballot [deadline 1995-06-20] 

    N1865 - Summary of voting on nomination of Frank Farance
            (USA) as project editor for JTC1 22.20.01
            (revision of ISO/IEC 9899 C)
            20.01 [Nomination approved.] 

    N2485   Business Plan and Convener's Report ISO/IEC
            JTC1/SC22/WG14 (The Programming Language C)
            >   4.3. PROJECT EDITORS
            >      The following individuals have been
            >      appointed project editors and backup
            >      project editors:
            >      JTC1.22.20.01 Programming Language C
            >      (Revision of ISO/IEC 9899:1990) Frank
            >      Farance (Project Editor), David Keaton
            >      (Backup Project Editor)

The reasons of abstain:
1) SC22 N2627 does not explain the reason why a new vote
   happened.
2) It is not clear whether or not the existing project
   editors, Frank Farance and David Keaton, agree with
   the change of the project editors.

______________________ end of SC22 N2691 _____________________________