Subject: SC22 N2687 - Vote Summary of JTC 1 Approval Ballot for DTR 15581 - Fortran Enhanced Data Types

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 13:23:28 -0400 (EDT)

_______________________ beginning of title page ______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2687

TITLE:
Summary of JTC 1 Vote on Approval of DTR 15581 - Information technology -
Programming languages - Enhanced Data Type Facilities in Fortran

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-04-10

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Summary of Voting

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.02.01.04

STATUS:
WG5 should prepare the document for publication taking into consideration
the comments accompanying the United Kingdom and USA votes.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI to SC22 Member Bodies
ACT to WG5

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

________________ end of title page; beginning of summary ____________
ISO/IEC JTC 1

Information Technology

ISO/IEC  JTC 1 N 5267

DATE:  1998.04.06

REPLACES

DOC TYPE:

Summary of Voting/Table of Replies

TITLE:

Summary of Voting on Document JTC 1 N 5113, Text of DTR 15581, Information
technology - Programming languages - Enhanced Data Type Facilities in
Fortran

SOURCE:

JTC 1 Secretariat

PROJECT:

STATUS:

Based on the results of this ballot, this DTR has been approved.  SC 22 is
asked to consider the NB comments and to prepare the document for
publication.

ACTION ID:  ACT

DUE DATE:

DISTRIBUTION:  P and L Members

MEDIUM:

DISKETTE NO.:

NO. OF PAGES:  5

Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1, American National Standards Institute, 11 West
42nd Street, New York, NY  10036; Telephone:  1 212 642 4932; Facsimile:
1 212 398 0023; Email:  [email-masked]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

                       Voting Summary of JTC 1 N 5113

    'P' Members      Approve    Approve with  Disapprove   Abstain     Comments
                                  Comments

    Australia *                                               X

     Austria *          X

     Belgium *

      Brazil *

      Canada *                                                X

      China *

     Denmark *

      Egypt *

     Finland *          X

      France *          X

     Germany *                                                X

      Hungary

     Ireland *

       Italy

      Japan *           X

 Korea, Republic of     X

       Mexico

   Netherlands *        X

    New Zealand

      Norway *          X

     Romania *

 Russian Federation
         *

     Slovenia *         X

      Sweden

    Switzerland         X

 United Kingdom *                    X                   SEE ATTACHED

       USA *                         X                   SEE ATTACHED

                     *P Member of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 22

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

United Kingdom

UK Comments accompanying vote of approval on J1N5113 Information technology
- Programming languages - Enhanced Data Type Facilities in Fortran

Two omissions in the DTR have been noted by the Project Editor for the
revision of the Fortran standard (1539-1).

The following corrections have been supplied by the DTR Editor, who is
based in the UK, and therefore form part of the UK vote.

(1) Section 3 of the DTR misses a necessary edit to a constraint in
Fortran that currently prohibits allocatable dummy arguments and function
results.  This is in contradiction to sections 2.2 and 2.3 of the DTR,
which discuss  such entities.

Add the following edit in section 3 of the DTR.

5.1, R501-R506, 3rd constraint [48:1-2]

Delete: "that is not a dummy argument or a function result"

(2) The DTR fails to specify the semantics of deallocation of objects with
allocatable components. This specification was part of the original
(Fortran 95) requirement but was accidentally omitted when it was
converted to a TR.

Add a new paragraph to section 2.4 (after the existing second para):

"Deallocation of a variable containing an ultimate allocatable array
component automatically deallocates all such components of the variable
that are currently allocated."

Add the following edit in section 3 of the DTR.

6.3.3.1, new paragraph at end of section [83:18+]

"When a variable of derived type is deallocated, any ultimate component
that is a currently allocated allocatable array is deallocated (as if by a
DEALLOCATE statement."

United States

The U.S. National Body votes to Approve with comments ISO/IEC DTR 
15581,Information technology - Programmng languages - Enhanced Data Type
Facilities in Fortran. See comments below.

Technical comment 1.

The DTR misses a necessary edit to a constraint that otherwise prohibits
allocatable dummy arguments and function results. Such a prohibition would
make much of the TR moot.

Add the following edit in section 3 of the DTR.

5.1, R501-506, 3rd constraint [48:1-2]

Delete: "that is not a dummy argument or a function result"

Technical comment 2.

The DTR fails to specify the semantics of deallocation of objects with
allocatable components. This specification is claimed to have been in  
prior drafts, but was apparently accidentally omitted.

Add a new paragraph to section 2.4 (after the existing second para):

"Deallocation of a variable containing an ultimate allocatable array
component automatically deallocates all such components of the variable
that are currently allocated."

Add the following edit in section 3 of the DTR.

6.3.3.1, new paragraph at end of section [83:18+]

"When a variable of derived type is deallocated, any ultimate component
that is a currently allocated allocatable array is deallocated (as if by  
a DEALLOCATE statement." {Prevent memory leaks from nested allocatable
array components.}

_____________________ end of SC22 N2687 ___________________________