Subject: SC22 N2676 - Vote Summary of Ada Semantic Interchange Spec

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 17:54:49 -0500 (EST)

_______________________ beginning of title page _______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2676

TITLE:
Summary of Voting on Concurrent CD Registration and FCD Approval for FCD
15291 - Information technology - Programming languages - Ada Semantic
Interface Specification

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-03-13

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Summary of Voting

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.15291

STATUS:
Registration of FCD 15291 has been approved.  WG9 is requested to prepare
a Disposition of Comments Report and make a recommendation on the further
processing of the FCD.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
ACT to WG9
FYI to SC22 Member Bodies

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFRENCE:
SC22 N2588

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_______ end of title page; beginning of overall summary ________________

                      SUMMARY OF VOTING

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N2588
Circulated by:               JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:            1997-10-20
Closing Date:                1998-03-09

SUBJECT:  Concurrent CD Registration and FCD Approval for FCD 15291 -
          Information technology - Programming languages - Ada Semantic
          Interface Specification

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
The following responses have been received on the subject of CD
registration:

"P" Members supporting registration without comments      12

"P" Members supporting registration with comments          2

"P" Members not supporting registration                    0

"P" Members abstaining                                     4

"P" Members not voting                                     5

The following responses have been received on the subject of FCD approval:

"P" Members supporting approval without comments          12

"P" Members supporting approval with comments              2

"P" Members not supporting approval                        0

"P" Members abstaining                                     4

"P" Members not voting                                     5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Secretariat Action:

Registration of FCD 15291 has been approved.  WG9 is requested to prepare
a Disposition of Comments Report and make a recommendation on the further
processing of the FCD.

The comments accompanying the abstention vote from Sweden was:  "No expert
resources available."

The comment accompanying the affirmative vote from Japan was:

"A typographic error:

2.4.3 (third bullet) "these are the only ones that shall be used before
closing a context" should read"... shall be used after closing ..."

The comments accompanying the affirmative vote from the USA are attached.

____________ end of overall summary; beginning of detail summaries

                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY
                           Registration Ballot

PROJECT NO:    JTC 1.22.15291

SUBJECT:  Concurrent CD Registration and FCD Approval for FCD 15291 -
          Information technology - Programming languages - Ada Semantic
          Interface Specification
          
Reference Document No:  N2588           Ballot Document No:  N2588
Circulation Date:       10-20-1997      Closing Date:  03-09-1998 
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, O, L             Circulated By: Secretariat

                  SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                     Approve  Disapprove Abstain Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia               ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
Austria                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Belgium                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Brazil                  ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )    
Canada                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
China                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic          (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Denmark                 ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
Egypt                   (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Finland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Germany                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Ireland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Japan                   (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )
Netherlands             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Romania                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Russian Federation      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Slovenia                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Sweden                  ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
UK                      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Ukraine                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
USA                     (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY
                             Approval Ballot

PROJECT NO:    JTC 1.22.15291

SUBJECT:  Concurrent CD Registration and FCD Approval for FCD 15291 -
          Information technology - Programming languages - Ada Semantic
          Interface Specification
          
Reference Document No:  N2588           Ballot Document No:  N2588
Circulation Date:       10-20-1997      Closing Date:  03-09-1998 
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, O, L             Circulated By: Secretariat

                  SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                     Approve  Disapprove  Abstain Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia               ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
Austria                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Belgium                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Brazil                  ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )    
Canada                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
China                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic          (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Denmark                 ( )      ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
Egypt                   (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Finland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Germany                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Ireland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Japan                   (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )
Netherlands             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Romania                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Russian Federation      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Slovenia                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Sweden                  ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
UK                      (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Ukraine                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
USA                     (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )

______________ end of detailed summaries; beginning of USA comments ____

The US National Body votes to approve with comments the CD registration
and FCD vote for FCD 15291.
                        
> Attached please find 23 comments for the ASIS Ballot.
> They are ordered by clause.  Each comment is marked  as a technical
> and/or editorial issue together with information on its level of
> importance.
> 
> 1. Clause 1.1.3.1 (Implementation conformance requirements) needs to
> address the issue of categorization pragmas. ASISneeds a sensible
> policy in the use of pragmas which could change the semantics of an
> ASIS implementation.  Technical; very important - must be resolved in
> the final standard.
> 
> 2. Clause 2.2 (ASIS queries) should have additional descriptions for
> context and operations on elements. The following additional figures
> and descriptive text should be provided: relationship between the Ada
> environment and the ASIS context, compilation unit from a black box
> perspective, compilation unit from a white box perspective, and a
> figure depicting the operations on an element.  Technical and
> Editorial; nice to have.
> 
> 3. Clause 2.2.3.5 (Semantic references) Figure 3 incorrectly
> demonstrates the use of Corresponding_Type_Declaration as the
> reference is to a predefined type. Either a user-defined type should
> be provided for the example or the example should use
> Corresponding_Name_Definition.   Technical and Editorial; important -
> must be resolved in the final standard.
> 
> 4.  Clause 3.12.3 (type Unit_Orgins) states "Ada predefined language
> environment units defined in Annex A." These units are "listed" in
> Annex A (2);several are defined elsewhere.  Editorial; nice to have.
> 
> 5.  Clause 10.11 (function Corresponding_Children)
> A_Package_Instantiation appears as part of the Appropriate Unit_Kinds.
> This should be A_Package_Instance instead. A_Package_Instantiation is
> a declaration kind, not a unit kind.  Editorial; important - must be
> resolved in the final standard.
> 
> 6.  Clause 10.17 (function Is_Equal) and Clause 10.18 (function
> Is_Identical) should not discriminate based on compilation time stamp.
> Instead, they should discriminate based on compilation unit name,
> program text, and features allowed by ISO/IEC 8652:1995 (Ada 95).
> Technical; important - should be resolved in the final standard.
> 
> 7.  Clause 10.32 (function Subunits) should include the following
> appropriate Unit_Kinds: A_Procedure_Body, A_Function_Body,
> A_Package_Body, A_Procedure_Body_Subunit, A_Function_Body_Subunit,
> A_Package_Body_Subunit,
> A_Task_Body_Subunit, and A_Protected_Body_Subunit.  Editorial; nice to
> have.
> 
> 8.  Clauses 13.33 (function Is_Part_of_Implicit), 15.45 (function
> Generic_Actual_Part), and 17.22 (function Actual_Parameter) reguire
> changes in the commentary concerning normalized generic associations.
> The commentary needs to address the semantics in the case for implicit
> predefined operations.  Technical; important - should be resolved in
> the final standard.
>                    
>  9.  Clause 15.26 (function Corresponding_Declaration) has the last
> two items wrong on each of the three lists. The last two items on the
> first list should be A_Protected_Body_Declaration and
> A_Protected_Body_Stub. The last two items on the second and third list
> should be A_Protected_Type_Declaration and
> A_Single_Protected_Declaration. Technical and Editorial;
> important - should be resolved in the final standard.
> 
> 10. Clauses 15.26 (function Corresponding_Declaration)
> and 15.27 (Corresponding_Body) should also return
> A_Formal_Package_Declaration and
> A_Formal_Package_Declaration_With_Box. Technical;
> important - should be resolved in the final standard.
> 
> 11. Clauses 15.26 (Corresponding_Declaration) and 15.27
> (Corresponding_Body) need to add generic_renaming_declarations as
> appropriate parameters.  Technical; important - should be resolved in
> the final standard.
> 
> 12. Clause 15.27 (function Corresponding_Body) needs
> A_Package_Renaming_Declaration removed from the list of returned
> Declaration_Kinds.  Editorial; nice to have.
> 
> 13. Clause 15.29 (function Corresponding_Type) should return
> Definition_Kinds:  A_Type_Definition.   Editorial; important - should
> be
> resolved in the final standard.
> 
> 14. Clause 16.4 (function Implicit_Inherited_Declarations) should
> identify the returned Declaration_Kinds as:
> An_Enumeration_Literal_Specification, A_Discriminant_Specification,
> A_Component_Declaration, A_Procedure_Declaration,
> A_Function_Declaration, and An_Entry_Declaration.  Editorial; nice to
> have.
> 
> 15. Clause 17 (package Asis.Expressions) should have interfaces for
> Is_Dispatching_Operation and Corresponding_Called_Function_Unwound.
> The procedure counterparts in Clause 18 (package Asis.Statements)
> should have interfaces for Is_Dispatching_Call and
> Corresponding_Called_Entity_Unwound. These are  necessary to support
> OOP queries.  Technical; important - should be resolved in the final
> standard.
> 
> 16. Clause 17.1 (function Corresponding_Expression_Type) requires
> clarification concerning the return of elements for task objects.
> Currently either a Nil_Element or A_Task_Type_Declaration
> are possible. Editorial; nice to have.
> 
> 17. Clause 17.1 (function Corresponding_Expression_Type) requires
> clarification concerning the unwinding of subtypes and derived types.
> Technical; important - should be resolved in the final standard.
> 
> 18. Clause17.1 (function Corresponding_Expression_Type)
> should identify general rules for the return of Nil_Element for the
> cases when an Expression actually does not represent an Ada
> expression having an Ada type such as an enumeration_aggregate which
> is part of an enumeration_representation_clause.  Technical; important
> - should be resolved in the final standard.
> 
> 19. Clause 17.21 (function Formal_Parameter) needs to include the
> return of An_Operator_Symbol Element.  Editorial; important -
> should be resolved in the final standard.
> 
> 20. Clause 17.26 (function Is_Defaulted_Association) should have the
> An_Array_Component_Association removed from the expected
> Association_Kinds list.  An_Array_Component_Association can never be
> in the normalized form, and it can never have any default expression
> passed for an array component.  Also A_Discriminant_Association an
> A_Record_Component_Association should be removed from the list of
> expected Association_Kinds because they also can never have default
> expressions (even though they can be normalized). Also the note should
> be flagged with a sentinel and moved to the end of the clause.
> Technical and Editorial; important - should be resolved in the final
> standard.
> 
> 21. Clause 18.20 (function Corresponding_Loop_Exited) should include
> Element_Kinds returned as: A_Loop_Statement, A_While_Loop_Statement,
> and A_For_Loop_Statement.  Editorial; nice
> to have.
> 
> 22. Clause 20.1 (type Line) and 20.13 (function Is_Nil) require
> clarification on the difference between an empty line and a Nil_line.
> Technical and  Editorial; important - should be resolved in
> the final standard.
> 
> 23. Appendix B examples should replace use of String with the use of
> Wide_String and Program_Text. Editorial; nice to have..

____________________ end of SC22 N2676 ______________________________