Subject: Re: (SC22docs.448) SC22 N2669 - SC22 Chairman Report on JTC 1 Ad Hocs

From: Bob Follett <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 1998 15:51:35 -0500

Jim -

I didn't take precise notes on the discussion, but more than one member
of the Ad Hoc mentioned undocumented differences between Word 7
(produced by the Office 95 version of Word)and Word 6, even though the
formats are the same.  Because of difficulties that had been
experienced, such as those mentioned in John Klensin's note, it was
decided to eliminate Word 7 from the distribution format list.  

The Ad Hoc emphasized, however, that it was not specifying what version
of Word can be used, only the distribution format.  So using Word 7 or
the current Word 97 is OK as long as the document is saved and
distributed in Word 6.  Note, however, that Word 97 uses a new
underlying model of some sort (as I understand it) and as a result, some
automatic features will be saved as text and not carried over into a
document saved as Word 6.  Word 97 often gives a warning message before
saving as Word 6, saying that some formatting may be lost.

Regarding John's comments about Word versions, the Ad Hoc is keenly
aware of this and is, as Keld mentioned, encouraging as much use of HTML
as possible.  Bear in mind that the policy is attempting to cover a wide
range of documents, from simple text to complex standards, produced by a
large number of people all over the world, and accessed by a
significantly larger number, at a reasonable cost to all those
participants.  At least at this stage, it hasn't seen a good way to
avoid use of the most commonly used word processing packages.

One final note on a different topic:  In the future, please use the SC22
reflector for a discussion of this type, not the SC22docs reflector. 
The SC22docs reflector is intended solely for the distribution of
official documents.  Thanks.

Regards,
Bob

James W. Moore, reply to [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> I have a question about the Chairman's report:
> 
> [snip]
> 
> >ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
> >N2669
> >
> >TITLE:
> >SC22 Chairman's Report on JTC 1 Ad Hoc Meetings
> 
> [snip]
> 
> >
> >A number of modifications were made to the web policy document.  A new
> >version was produced and is being circulated in JTC1 for ballot.  Some
> >significant changes are:
> >
> >* Elimination of Word 7.0 as an acceptable document distribution format;
> 
> As written, this seems to be a mistake. Although there is a version of
> Microsoft Word designated as Version 7.0, it produces the same format as
> Microsoft Word Version 6.0.  If JTC1 wishes to abolish the Word 7 format, then
> it also abolishes the Word 6.
> 
> I would suggest that what is meant is that JTC1 does not allow the "Word 97"
> format. That is, in fact, a different format from Word 6.
> 
> I would appreciate it if the chairman would clarify this issue.
> 
> Regards, Jim Moore