Subject: Re: (SC22docs.449) SC22 N2669 - SC22 Chairman Report on JTC 1 Ad Hocs

From: [email-masked] (Keld J|rn Simonsen)
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 01:51:36 +0100

John C Klensin writes:

> While JTC1 seems to have no interest in listening, the real 
> problem here continues to be the adoption of a highly 
> proprietary, undocumented, non-standard format that can change 
> without notice and substantially at the whim of the vendor.  
> 
> A different alternative would be to accept/require HTML, ideally 
> an HTML subset that was easy to handle and browser independent, 
> and to use it in conjunction with an ISO-specified Style sheet.  
> Even MS Word 97 can produce a plausible approximation to HTML, 
> so that might be a plausible course of action for those who are 
> convinced that Word is the *real* International Standard.  But I 
> haven't seen much sympathy for that position either.

Well, JTC 1 is putting more and more emphsis on HTML as the preferred 
document exchange format, even in preference of MS Word, so they are
lsistening to some extent.

Keld