Subject: Re: (SC22docs.446) SC22 N2669 - SC22 Chairman Report on JTC 1 Ad Hocs

From: [email-masked] (James W. Moore, reply to [email-masked])
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 98 22:01:53 -0500

I have a question about the Chairman's report:

[snip]

>ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
>N2669
>
>TITLE:
>SC22 Chairman's Report on JTC 1 Ad Hoc Meetings

[snip]

>
>A number of modifications were made to the web policy document.  A new
>version was produced and is being circulated in JTC1 for ballot.  Some
>significant changes are:
>
>* Elimination of Word 7.0 as an acceptable document distribution format;

As written, this seems to be a mistake. Although there is a version of
Microsoft Word designated as Version 7.0, it produces the same format as
Microsoft Word Version 6.0.  If JTC1 wishes to abolish the Word 7 format, then
it also abolishes the Word 6.

I would suggest that what is meant is that JTC1 does not allow the "Word 97"
format. That is, in fact, a different format from Word 6.

I would appreciate it if the chairman would clarify this issue.

Regards, Jim Moore