Subject: SC22 N2669 - SC22 Chairman Report on JTC 1 Ad Hocs

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 1998 16:29:38 -0500 (EST)

________________ beginning of title page _____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2669

TITLE:
SC22 Chairman's Report on JTC 1 Ad Hoc Meetings

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-02-27

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
SC22 Chairman's Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
txt

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2664, N2665, N2666, N2667

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________ end of title page; beginning of report ___________________

SC22 Chairman's Report on JTC1 Ad Hoc Meetings                                                                                          

I participated on your behalf at the meeting of the JTC1 Ad Hoc on
Implementing Information Technology that met in San Diego, California on
4-6 February 1998.  I also participated as document editor in the JTC1
Ad Hoc on Procedures in San Diego on 9-12 February 1998.

The Ad Hoc addressed the subject of the JTC1 pilot period for
unrestricted availability of draft documents (WGs and CDs) on the web. 
It noted that the initial 1-year pilot period was too short to draw a
general conclusion but said that the responses to date have been
favorable and recommended that the pilot should be extended for another
two years.

The current web policy document recommends that passwords be changed at
least once or twice per plenary cycle.  Thus far, the JTC1 web password
has not been changed and many SC passwords have also not been changed. 
The Ad Hoc recommended to JTC1 that its password be changed effective 1
March.  (Since the meeting, JTC1 has sent out a notice with a new
password.)  We will need to take similar action in SC22.

A number of modifications were made to the web policy document.  A new
version was produced and is being circulated in JTC1 for ballot.  Some
significant changes are:

* Elimination of Word 7.0 as an acceptable document distribution format;
* Considerations for future upgrading of acceptable document
distribution formats;
* A note that defined-access documents on the JTC1 web site may be
copied to SC web sites in order to avoid the need for multiple passwords
by SC personnel;
* Clarification of the section on log-file data;
* Direction not to use imbedded passwords within a document.

The Ad Hoc discussed the implementation of on-line balloting.  The IT
Strategy and Timeline document (SC22 N2514) indicated a target date of
March 1998 for electronic voting.  The Ad Hoc developed a number of
criteria for ANSI to use as it implements this capability for JTC1 (see
recommendation 8 in the meeting report).  There was also discussion of
the possibility of the same on-line voting system being made available
for use by SCs as well as JTC1; this will need to be further considered
by ANSI as it implements the JTC1 voting system. 

There were several NB comments about the slow response time on the ANSI
web site.  The Ad Hoc requested ANSI to investigate this situation.

This was the final meeting of this Ad Hoc.  However, since there will be
continuing need for some technical advice on this subject to JTC1, the
Ad Hoc recommended that JTC1 establish a rapporteur group for
implementing information technology.  Clyde Camp of the US has
volunteered to serve as the JTC1 rapporteur.

At the Ad Hoc on Procedures held the following week, a draft revision to
the JTC1 Procedures was produced and will be made available on the JTC1
web site as JTC1 N5202, in Word 6 and WordPerfect 5.1 formats.  JTC1 is
requesting comments by 4 May, for discussion at the JTC1 plenary in
Sendai the first week in June.  I encourage all who are interested to
review this document and send any comments through your National Body. 
If you have concerns that are specifically related to SC22, please let
me know.

Robert H. Follett
Chairman, JTC1/SC22

________________________ end of SC22 N2669 ___________________________