Subject: SC22 N2654 - Vote Summary of SC22 LB 2591 - POSIX Ada Binding

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 16:51:01 -0500 (EST)

_________________________ beginning of title page ______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A. (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2654

TITLE:
Summary of Voting on Proposed WG15 Record of Responses for Defect Reports
01 through 10 for: ISO/IEC 14519:1994 - Information technology - Portable
Operating System Interface (POSIX) - POSIX Ada Binding

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-02-13

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Summary of Voting

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.21.04.02

STATUS:
The Record of Responses has been approved as published in document SC22
N2591

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2591

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________________ end of title page; beginning of summary ________

                     SUMMARY OF VOTING ON

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N2591
Circulated by:               JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:            1997-10-24
Closing Date:                1998-02-09

SUBJECT:  
Proposed WG15 Record of Responses for Defect Reports 01 through 10 for:
ISO/IEC 14519:1994 - Information technology - Portable Operating System
Interface (POSIX) - POSIX Ada Binding

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following responses have been received on the subject of approval:

"P" Members supporting approval
            without comment                   11

"P" Members supporting approval
            with comment                       2

"P" Members not supporting approval            0

"P" Members abstaining                         2

"P" Members not voting                         8

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Secretariat Action:

The Record of Responses has been approved as published in document SC22
N2591.

The comment accompanying the abstention vote from Austria was:  "Lack of
expert resources."  The comment accompanying the abstention vote from
Sweden was:  "Expert resources not available."

_________ end of summary; beginning of comments ______________________

COMMENT ACCOMPANYING AFFIRMATIVE VOTE FROM THE UNITED KINGDOM

"The UK approves the responses to the defect reports, however we have
concerns over how the defect information will be publicly available, and
request that SC22 and WG15 address this issue."

Secretariat comment:  Based on the results of this letter ballot, SC22
N2591 is the publicly available publication of the defect reports.

COMMENT ACCOMPANYING AFFIRMATIVE VOTE FROM THE USA

"In principle, the USNB agrees with the Record of Responses for Defect
Reports 1 through 10 for: ISO/IEC 14519:1994 - Information technology -
Portable Operating System Interface (POSIX) - POSIX Ada Binding, as given
in Document SC22 N2591.   However, the USNB believes that this document is
a bit premature, since ISO/IEC 14519:1994 does not exist.

By way of explanation:  IEEE Standard IEEE Std. 1003.5-1992 was submitted
to JTC 1 for approval under the Fast Track Procedures and was approved.
However, the DIS was never published as an International Standard.  The
interpretations circulated as Defect Reports in JTC 1/SC22 N2591 apply to
the IEEE Std. 1003.5-1992.

In the meantime, that IEEE standard together with a supplement thereto
(IEEE Std 1003.5b-1996) is presently being balloted in JTC 1 under the
Fast Track Procedure as DIS 14519, with a closing date of 18 March 1998."

Secretariat comment:  Whether or not actually published, ISO/IEC IS
14519:1994 was approved by JTC 1.  These Defect Reports pertain to that IS
and not the one currently being balloted within JTC 1.  The Secretariat
feels that the SC22 letter Ballot on the Proposed Record of Responses was
in order and to delay that letter ballot until after approval of ISO/IEC
IS 14519:1998 would have been unnecessarily confusing.

 _______ end of comments; beginning of detailed summary _______________

                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY

PROJECT NO:    JTC 1.22.21.04.02

SUBJECT:  Proposed WG15 Record of Responses for Defect Reports 01 through 10
          for: ISO/IEC 14519:1994 - Information technology - Portable
          Operating System Interface (POSIX) - POSIX Ada Binding
     
Reference Document No:  N2591           Ballot Document No:  N2591
Circulation Date:       10-24-1997      Closing Date:  02-09-1998 
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, O, L             Circulated By: Secretariat

                  SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

                     Approve  Disapprove Abstain Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia               (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Austria                 ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
Belgium                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Brazil                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)    
Canada                  ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
China                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic          (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Denmark                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Egypt                   ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Finland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Germany                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Ireland                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Japan                   (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Netherlands             (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway                  (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Romania                 ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Russian Federation      ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Slovenia                ( )      ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Sweden                  ( )      ( )       (X)       (X)       ( )
UK                      (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )
Ukraine                 (X)      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
USA                     (X)      ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )

_________________ end of SC22 N2654 __________________________________