Subject: SC22 N2652 - Minutes of WG11 November 1997 Meeting

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 12:49:28 -0500 (EST)

_____________ beginning of title page ___________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2652

SUBJECT:
Minutes of SC22/WG11 (Binding Techniques) Meeting on November 24-26, 1997
in London, United Kingdom

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-02-09

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Minutes of WG11 Meeting

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________ end of title page; beginning of minutes ___________________

DRAFT MINUTES OF MEETING		      SC22/WG11/N444

Committee:   ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG11

Place:	     British Standards Institution (BSI)
	     London (UK)

Date:	     November 24-26, 1997

Attendees:   Mr. John Dawes	      UK
	     Prof. Katsuhiko Kakehi   Waseda University, Japan
	     Mr. Kent Karlsson	      Chalmers University, Sweden
	     Mr. Roger Scowen	      HoD (UK)
	     Mr. Willem Wakker	      ACE, Netherlands (Convener)

1.  Introduction

Two prominent members of WG11, Ms. Mary Payne and Mr. Brian Meek, passed
away during the last year; they were remembered in a few words.

2.  Agenda

It was agreed to start with the LISS discussion, followed by the discussion
on LIA-2.

3.  Minutes of previous meeting (WG11/N432)

The minutes were approved without changes.

4.  Project status

The following summary of WG11 projects was given:

- LID (ISO/IEC 11404) is published
- LIPC (ISO/IEC 13886) is published
- LIA-1 (ISO/IEC 10967-1) is published
- LIA-2: the results on the 2nd CD ballot were: 10 YES without comments, 1
  YES with comments (UK), 3 NO votes (Japan, Germany and the USA), 4 NBs
  abstained and 5 NBs did not vote.  Although this is seemingly a good
  result, the fact that 2 NBs that are active in WG11 have submitted a NO
  vote is a matter of concern.
  Mr. Kent Karlsson is appointed as new project editor (for all parts of
  10967).
- LIA-3: no progress.
- LISS (PDTR 14369): a version was sent to SC22 for review and comment;
  only comments from Mr. John Dawes were received.  SC22 has granted a
  project extension of 1 year for this late project; there is no project
  editor.

5.  Work Item 22.17 - Language-Independent Datatypes

The document is published by ITTF as IS 11404:1996.

6.  Work Item 22.16 - Language-Independent Procedure Calling

The document is published by ITTF as IS 13886:1996.

7.  WDTR 14369 - Language-Independent Service Specification

Brian Meek had prepared an almost complete version which was sent to SC22
for review and comment.  It was the sentiment of the meeting to ensure that
this document is published as soon as possible.  As the document is
considered to be practically complete, the editing activities should be
minimal.  It was agreed that for the time being, the convener will act as
project editor.

Remembering the work that Brian Meek has done to promote language-
independent issues in general, and specifically his work on the LISS
document, WG11 considered it appropriate to dedicate the LISS TR to Brian.
The convener will contact ITTF to see if this is possible.

The comments of John Dawes were discussed; it was agreed that the document
would be sent to SC22 for PDTR ballot as soon as possible.

8.  CD 10967-2 - Language-Independent Arithmetic, part 2: Elementary
    Numerical Functions

The outcome of the ballot is summarized above.

Seeing the nature of the comments and the changes that the project editor
deems necessary to get the document correct and consistent it is decided to
produce a 3rd CD.

The editor will produce a new version (again an FCD) plus a Disposition of
Comments document by the end of February 1998.

9.  WD 10967-3 - Language-Independent Arithmetic, part 3: Complex Floating
    Point Arithmetic and Complex Elementary Numerical Functions

Work on this project will start as soon as the work on 10967 part 2 has
resulted in a stable document (March 1998).

10.  Planning and Future Meetings

It was decided that the next meeting of WG11 should be scheduled in the
same time frame (and hopefully colocated with) the SC22 Plenary in August
1998 in Copenhagen.

11.  Close of Meeting

The host, BSI, and especially Ms. Jean Stride were thanked for organizing
and hosting the meeting.

_______________________ end of SC22 N2652 ___________________________