Subject: SC22 N2649 - SC22 Response Re JTC 1 Pilot Project

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 16:43:06 -0500 (EST)

_______________________ beginning of title page ______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2649

TITLE:
SC22 Response to JTC 1 Request for Comments on JTC 1 Pilot Project

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-01-28

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Information from the SC Secretariat

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
The Secretariat appreciates the comments received from the WG Conveners
which greatly aided in the development of this response.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (7030 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

__________ end of title page; beginning of document ___________________

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

January 28, 1998

Ms. Lisa Rajchel
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1
American National Standards Institute
11 West 42nd Street
New York, NY l0036

SUBJECT:  JTC 1 Pilot Project

Dear Lisa:

Reference is made to your email message of December 22, 1997 requesting  
the JTC 1 Subcommittees to provide responses to several questions
concerning the JTC 1 Pilot Project that permits public availability of
Working Drafts and Committee Drafts.

JTC 1/SC22 has had considerable experience using this Pilot Project and  
strongly endorses its continuation.

Following is the SC22 response to the specific questions posed:

1)  Has your SC gained enough experience with this project to provide any  
information.

Yes.  More than 20 of our Working Drafts and/or Committee Drafts have been  
made publicly available during the period covered by the Pilot Project.
In a number of cases, valuable comments have been received from public
review.

2)  What are the benefits or disadvantages of making WDs and CDs freely  
available.

There have been no disadvantages.

The benefits include:

- The ability for review of the specificiation from a larger technical  
arena than that represented on the development group thereby identifying
problems and differences of view at an early stage in the development
process.

- The ability to preserve rapport between the Working Group developing the
standard and the larger worldwide community of users of the product(s)
which will result from the standardization process.

- The opportunity to collect National opinion from those National Bodies  
not active on the development group at a point where these opinions can be
recognized and actions take to resolve them before they are raised in the
final balloting process.

- Wider visibility of the standard in progress among the community for  
which the standard is being developed.

- Widely publicizing the standardization effort.

3)  Should the pilot deadline be extended to allow for more time to gain  
information and experience?

SC22 has had sufficient experience to recommend that JTC 1 adopt the  
permanent policy that these specificiations be made publicly available.

In this regard, however, SC22 would point out that some documents  
processed within SC22 come from other standards bodies and may require
special considerations regarding Intellectual Property Rights.  The
current pilot project doesn't take this into full consideration.

JTC 1/SC22 appreciates the opportunity to comment on the Project.

Sincerely

WILLIAM C. RINEHULS
Secretariat, JTC 1/SC22

_______________________ end of SC22 N2649 ________________________________