Subject: SC22 N2644 - Request for SC22 Recommendation on CHILL - DEFAULT LETTER BALLOT

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 16:24:41 -0500 (EST)

_________________ beginning of title page ____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2644

TITLE:
Request for SC22 Recommendation on Revision of ISO/IEC 9496:1996 -
Programming language CHILL - DEFAULT LETTER BALLOT

DATE ASSIGNED:
1998-01-08

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Default Letter Ballot

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.9496

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
ACT (only if objection)

DUE DATE:
1998-03-28 (only if objection)

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email: [email-masked]

__________________ end of title page; beginning of letter ______________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

January 7, 1998

TO:       JTC 1/SC22 P-member Bodies

SUBJECT:  Request for SC22 Recommendation on Revision of ISO/IEC 9496 -
          Programming language CHILL - Default Letter Ballot

In 1996, ITU-T requested processing of their specification of Programming
Language CHILL under the JTC 1 fast track procedures, identifying JTC 1/     
SC22 as the organization to which the specification should be assigned if
the fast track processing led to approval of the specification as an
ISO/IEC IS.  SC22 agreed with this assignment and project number JTC
1.22.9496 was established.

The SC22 Secretariat has now been requested by ISO/IEC ITTF to make a
recommendation on the fast track processing of a revision of ISO/IEC IS
9496 using the specification that ITU-T adopted as its 1997 version of
programming language CHILL.

The Secretariat, in consultation with the SC22 Chairman, determined that a
two-month default ballot be issued to obtain this SC22 recommendation.
This decision was made taking into consideration the following:

1)  ISO/IEC IS 9496 was not the subject of SC22 development activity;

2)  An affirmative recommendation from SC22 will result in further action
within ISO/IEC JTC 1 since a JTC 1 approval letter ballot would still be
required;

3)  The recommendation could have been made at an SC22 Plenary had it been
requested at a time when that method of approval was the most expeditious
manner in which to handle the request.

Accordingly, any SC22 Member Bodies who wish to register an objection to
an affirmative SC22 recommendation should notify the SC22 Secretariat of
that objection not later than March 28, 1998.  The reason for the
objection should be included in the response.  Lack of a response will be
considered as agreement that SC22 recommend fast track processing of the
revision to ISO/IEC IS 9496.

Since the 1997 ITU-T revision is an extremely large document, available
only in paper form, a paper copy is not included with this letter but will
be made available by the SC22 Secretariat, upon request, to any SC22
P-member Body that wishes to review the ITU-T revision before responding
to this request.

Sincerely

William C. Rinehuls
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

cc:	L. Rajchel, JTC 1 Secretariat
	K. Brannon, ISO ITTF

____________ end of SC22 N2644 _________________________________