Subject: SC22 N2640 - Comments Disposition on DIS 13813 - Ada Generic Packages

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 18:25:47 -0500 (EST)

_________________ beginning of title page _____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2640

TITLE:
Disposition of Comments Report for ISO/IEC DIS 13813 - Information
technology - Programming languages - Generic Packages of Real and Complex
Type Declarations and Basic Operations for Ada (Using Vector and Matrix
Types)

DATE ASSIGNED:
1997-12-30

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Disposition of Comments Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.10.04

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2580

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

________________ end of title page; beginning of report __________________

Disposition of Comments Report for ISO/IEC DIS 13813
Information technology - Programming languages - Generic Packages of Real
and Complex Type Declarations and Basic Operations for Ada (Using Vector
and Matrix Type)

 Japan Comments on ISO/IEC DIS 13813:
 
 1) In several sections (for example, 13.4 and 15.2), Clause 12 is
referred to for the treatment of overflow conditions.  However, overflow
handling is defined in Clause 10, not 12.

    The project editor concurs with this comment; incorrect reference
    labeling led to this systemic erratum.  References to Clause 12 have
    been replaced, where appropriate, by references to Clause 10 in
    sections 13.4, 15.2, 15.5, 16.3, 16.4, 16.8 and 16.9.
  
 2) In Clause 2, International Standards are referred to as ISO xxxxx. 
 We suspect that this is not correct.  They should be changed to ISO/IEC
 xxxxx.  See the references section of DIS 13814.
  
  The project editor concurs with this comment; all normative references
 to ISO standards in Clause 2 of DIS 13813 have been modified to begin
 with ISO/IEC.
  
 3) In the main text of the Standard, other International Standards are
 referred to as ISO xxxxx:yyyy including the established year.  This
 seems inadequate and conflicting to the first paragraph of Clause 2. 
 "yyyy" part should be dropped.  ISO xxxxx should be changed to ISO/IEC
 xxxxx.
 
 This comment requests the adoption of two distinct changes: (1)
 elimination of the year of standardization or revision from all
 references to ISO standards in the main text of the draft standard, and
 (2) the modification of these same references to begin with ISO/IEC
 instead of ISO.  I will discuss the two requested changes separately.
 
 (1) The project editor concurs with the request to drop the established
 year from references to ISO standards, insofar as it applies to the
 normative text of DIS 13813.  Hence, all references to ISO standards in
 the normative text of DIS 13813 omit the year of standardization or
 revision, while references in the informative text of DIS 13813 include
 it when a distinction must be made between two editions of the same
 standard.  The informative text includes Annexes F, G and H, and notes
 (labeled as such) in the normative sections of the draft standard.
 (2) The project editor agrees that all references to ISO standards in
 this document should be changed to begin with ISO/IEC.  This change has
 been made in the normative and informative text of DIS 13813.

  France Comments on ISO/IEC DIS 13813:
 
 1) Change the French title.
 
 The project editor agrees that the French title should be modified as
 suggested.  The project editor cannot implement this change since the
 project editor is not responsible for the translation of the DIS 13813
 title into other languages.  However, the project editor does hereby
 recommend that ISO/IEC adopt the title suggested in this comment as the
 French title for DIS 13813.
 
  ISO Comments on ISO/IEC DIS 13813:
 
 1) Remove "most recent" from the second sentence of the first paragraph
 of Clause 2, and move the normative reference to ISO 8652:1987 from
 Clause 2 to Annex H since the 1987 edition is not "publicly available"
 as it is no longer in print.
  
  The project editor agrees that the suggested changes should be made and
 has implemented the corresponding modifications in DIS 13813.  The
 reference to ISO 8652:1987 was removed from Clause 2 in response to a
 Japanese comment.
  
 2) All of the normative references to ISO standards in Clause 2 are
 incorrectly specified.  ISO should be changed to ISO/IEC, "Information
 Technology " should be inserted prior to "Programming Languages" and a
 period should be added at the end of each of the titles.
  
  The project editor concurs with this comment and the corresponding
 modifications have been made in DIS 13813.  ISO was changed to ISO/IEC
 in response to a Japanese comment.
  
 3) The normative reference to ISO 13814 in Clause 2 should not include
 the year of publication since it is still a DIS and has not yet been
 published.
  
  The project editor concurs with this comment.  The year of publication
 was removed from all of the normative references to ISO/IEC standards in
 Clause 2 in response to a Japanese comment.
  
 4) The informative references to ISO/IEC standards in Annex H are
 incorrectly specified. "Information Technology " should be inserted
 prior to "Programming Languages" in each of the titles, and each of the
 titles should be italicized.
 
 The project editor concurs with this comment and the corresponding>
 modifications have been made in DIS 13813.

____________________ end of SC22 N2640 _______________________________