Subject: SC22 N2610 - Disposition of Comments on PDTR 15581: Fortran Enhanced Derived Type Facilities

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 16:18:59 -0500 (EST)

___________________ beginning of title page _____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming langugages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2610

TITLE:
Disposition of Comments Report for PDTR 15581 - Information technology -
Programming languages - Enhanced Derived Type Facilities in Fortran

DATE ASSIGNED:
1997-11-12

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Disposition of Comments Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
JTC 1.22.02.01.04

STATUS:
The revised PDTR has been forwarded to ISO/IEC JTC 1 for ballot.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2429

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_______________ end of title page; beginning of report __________________

    Disposition of Comments Report on Approval Ballot for PDTR 15581:
Information technology - Programming languages - Enhanced Derived Type
                        Facilities in Fortran

1.  Introduction

This document records the actions taken in response to the PDTR ballot
comments.  All changes have been approved by WG5.

2.  Responses to DIN comments

(1) "Change all "1996" that refer to IS 1539-1 to "1997".

Response:  Changes done.

(2) page i, title:
    Change "Enhanced Derived Type Facilities" to "Enhanced Data Type
    Facilities".  This is to line up with SC22's change of subject of JTC
    1.20.02.01.04.

Response:  Changes done.

(3) Page iv, Introduction:
    The first paragraph does not fully comply to WG5/N1152, section 3.
    Especially, delete "with other new facilities": there might also be
    difficulties in integrating with existing features.

Response:  Changes done.

(4) Page 1, title:
    Change "Data-type enhancements" to "Enhanced Data Type Facilities".

Response:  Changes done.

(5) Page 1, section 1.1
    First par. is incomplete: mention dummy arguments and function results.

Response:  Changes done.

(6) Page 3, section 3.1, last bullet:
    Change "On exit" to "If it is currently allocated on exit" -- if it is not
    currently allocated, no deallocation and thus no change in the  
    allocation status occurs.

Response:  Changes done (slightly reworded).

(7) Page 4, Example:
    Before the ALLOCATE statement, add a line

	IF (ALLOCATED(ARRAY)) DEALLOCATE(ARRAY) ! or STOP

    It is illegal to allocate a currently allocated array, this should be
    checked instead of causing an error in the subsequent ALLOCATE.

Response:  Changes done (slightly reworded).

(8) page 4, section 3.3:
    Change "after execution of the statement" to "after evaluation of the
    expression": this allows more economic use of memory, which may be very
    important in expressions involving large arrays.

Response:  Change not done; the text is correct as it stands, making this
change would cause a technical flaw.

(9) page 6:
    Change "optimizations, when" to "optimizations, if"?  To avoid  
    confusion: isn't it so that the optimization occurs at the time *when*
    the variable's allocatable component is allocated, but only *if* the
    expression's allocatable component is allocated?

Response:  Change not done; the text is correct as it stands and the
replacement text is less clear.

(10) page 7, Example, FUNCTION RP_ADD_R:
     Before the assignments, add
     IF (.NOT.ALLOCATED(P1%COEFF)) STOP "P1%COEFF IS NOT ALLOCATED."
     IF (SIZE(P1%COEFF)==0   ) STOP "P1%COEFF HAS SIZE ZERO."

     Both conditions would cause problems with the assignments, and should be
     checked.

Response:  Change not done; the example is correct as far as it goes, and
sufficient to show the use and utility of the extension.

(11) page 7, Example:
     Also show the program output.

     Change not done; the example is merely illustrating the use of the
     extension and is not intended to be a complete software product or to
     illustrate the results of computations.

(12) pages 8+:
     Check/update edits to refer to WG5/N1191 or X3J3/96-007r1.

Response:  Changes done.

(13) page 12, edit for [109]
     Change "allocatec" to "allocated".

Response:  Change done.

__________________________ end of SC22 N2610 ___________________________