Subject: Document SC22 N2156

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 12:48:51 -0400 (EDT)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A. (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

N2156

June 1996

TITLE:               Summary of Voting on PDAM Registration for:  ISO/
                     IEC 9945-2 - Portable Operating System Interface
                     (POSIX), Part 2: Shell and Utilities - Amendment 2

SOURCE:              Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:           JTC 1.22.41

STATUS:              N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:     SC22 N1896, N2054

DOCUMENT TYPE:       Summary of Voting

ACTION:              The PDAM has been registered.

                     To SC22 Member Bodies for information.
     
                     To SC22/WG15 for consideration of comments
                     accompanying the negative vote from Denmark,
                     preparation of a Disposition of Comments Report,
                     and recommendation on further processing of the
                     PDAM.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email :  [email-masked]

__________________________________________________________________________

                           SUMMARY OF VOTING ON

Letter Ballot Reference No:  SC22 N2054
Circulated by:               JTC 1/SC22
Circulation Date:            1996-01-16
Closing Date:                1996-05-15

SUBJECT:  PDAM Registration for:  ISO/IEC 9945-2 - Portable Operating 
          System Interface (POSIX) Part 2: Shell and Utilities - 
          Amendment 2

The following responses have been received on the subject of registration:

'P' Members supporting registration
    without comment                               15

'P' Members supporting registration
    with comment                                   0

'P' Members not supporting registration            1

'P' Members abstaining:                            0

'P' Members not voting:                            5

Secretariat Action:

The PDAM has been registered.

The Secretariat has notified the SC22/WG15 Convener of this action and
forwarded the comments for WG15 consideration.

____________________________________________________________________________

                 ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22  LETTER BALLOT SUMMARY

PROJECT NO:    JTC1.22.41

SUBJECT:  PDAM registration for: ISO/IEC 9945-2 - Portable Operating System
          Interface (POSIX) Part 2: Shell and Utilities - Amendment 2

Reference Document No:  N1896, N2054    Ballot Document No:  N2054
Circulation Date:01-16-96               Closing Date:  05-15-96 
                                                              
Circulated To: SC22 P, O, L                  Circulated By: Secretariat

SUMMARY OF VOTING AND COMMENTS RECEIVED

              Approve  Disapprove Abstain   Comments   Not Voting
'P' Members

Australia     	(X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Austria  	( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Belgium         ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Brazil          (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )    
Canada          (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
China           ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Czech Republic  (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Denmark         ( )       (X)       ( )       (X)       ( )
Egypt           ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Finland         (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
France          (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Germany         (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Japan           (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Netherlands     (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Romania         ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       (X)
Slovenia        (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Sweden          (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Switzerland     (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
UK              (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Ukraine         (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
USA             (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

'O' Members

Argentina       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Bulgaria        ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Cuba            ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Greece          ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Hungary         ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Iceland         ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
India           ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Indonesia       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Italy           ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Korea Rep       (X)       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
New Zealand     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Norway          ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Poland          ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Portugal        ( )       ( )       (X)       ( )       ( )
Russian fed     ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Singapore       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Thailand        ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Turkey          ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )
Yugoslavia      ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )       ( )

____________________________________________________________________________

Title: DS ballot on SC22 N2054 PDAM on POSIX shell and Utilities .2b/D11

Date: 1996-05-15

Danish Standards votes "no" on the document N2054.

This is because a number of major comments from DS have not been
accomodated in the draft.

Addressing the following comments adequately will reverse our vote ot a
"yes" vote. The document numbers in the following are ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC22/WG15 numbers unless otherwise noted.

Input as requested in .2b

The following refers to request noted in 1003.2b/D10, these references were
removed without the concensus of WG15.

1. Page 7, line 82: Extended identifiers.
A number of documents have been presented. WG15 liaison statement N283 to
WG20 have been approved. WG20 has made a recommendation that DS can support
in N420.

2. Page 10, line 185: Substitute
We believe 1003.2/D8 section 2.5.2.2 has the most recent text.

3. Page 10, line 190: replace-after
A number of documents have been presented, the most recent is from CEN
including the "reorder-after" description in N566 annex E. 

4. ISO 646 invariant support
Page 12, line 263: 
Page 17, line 1: 
Page 19, line 2: 
Page 19, line 7:
Page 120, line 21:
Page 120, line 26:
The DS input is N416.

3. Other input:

There are other papers that we think are accomodated in .2b.

5. N441: character concepts in POSIX standards
This paper recommends multibyte characters as the general coded character
set type.

6. N558: In response to AI 9410-27, 9 issues are listed. Proposals include
reference to CEN registry.
In response to AI 9410-35, 5 comments were listed. Proposed are:
1. repertoiremap as in CEN registry
2. comments in localedef collating weight statements
3. use repertoiremaps with locales and charmaps

7. N561: Proposes new utilities for
1. compression, ala "gzip"
2. editing, a better utility than "vi" 
3. versioning, ala "sccs"

8. In addition we ask for support for language dependent character
conversion and transliteration faclities.

9. We need support for character code switching mechanisms for charmap or
better a encoding definition file, for IS 2022 support.

10. We need support for symbolic ellipses in the locale. A proposal was
included in the DS comments on the DIS ballot on ISO/IEC 9945-1.

11. We need support for hexadecimal symbolic elipses in the locale and
charmaps.

12. The document sould be aligned as much as possible with the
specification standard ISO/IEC 14652, currently at CD stage.

Editorial comments.

Danish Standards has the following editorial comments on the P103.2b/D11
document.

@ 2.2 c 1

2.2.3.201 The SC2 name is "UTF-8" with a hyphen. Please refer to the
standard, it has recently been approved as an IS.

@ 2.4 c 2

We do not see what the revised wording accomplishes, what it says is that
you can have names like <Uxxxx> or <Uxxxxxxxx> but that was already the
case. See our comments on the localedef utility.

@ 2.4 o 3

2.4.1 WIDTH, WIDTH_VARIABLE, WIDTH_DEFAULT statements should be in the
locale definition, as it is not coded related, but character related. For
example the character <double width A> is present in a number of coded
character sets, including IS 10656, JIS X0208, GB2312 and KSC 5601. So this
is independent of coding and a property of an abstract character, and the
right place is then in the locale, possibly in LC_CTYPE. The WIDTH etc can
also be used to represent fonts, and then it should be the same regardless
of the coded character set, for example an <a> in ASCII or ISO 8859-1 or
ISO 8859-2 has the same properties in the Helvetica font.

@ 2.5 o 4

2.5.2.2.4 - we do not understand why coding of NUL was retained, as the
standard should cater for other languages than C, and not impose C
ideosyncraziees on the other languages.

@ 2.8 o 5

line 379: The range experssion should not be dependent on the collation
element order, but rather the result of the comparison using the relevant
collation. Using the collating element order is not proper, and confusing
to users that only has expectations as defiend by the collation rules.

@ 4.35 o 6

line 1102: We should use the repertoiremap files as requested by WG20,
Denmark and Canada, and defined by CEN and X/Open.

The repertoiremap files should be used on the localedef command line to in
a well-defined way be able to use locales and charmaps using diferent
symbolic character notations. Two new options are proposed:

     -l repertoire_name          Specify the name of a repertoiremap for mapping
                                 the locale symbolic character names to IS 10646 

     -r repertoire_name          Specify the name of a repertoiremap for mapping
                                 the charmap symbolic character names to IS
                                 10646  

The -u option should be removed as the above covers the same functionality
in a much more well defined way, and as much data for this is available.

A naming conviention should be introduced to reference standard locales,
charmaps and repertoiremaps from the international cultural conventions
registry, for example introduced by the three letters "std".

@ 4.48 o 7

Line 2150: the name should be "codeset" not "charset" - we are talking
about coded character sets, not the character sets which is without coding,
acording to SC2 terminology.

Line 2155: plese do not use the term "ISO-IR" as this means ISO
International Registry , as done in ISO 2375, and what you refer to on the
following is not IS 2375 entries. For example UTF-8 is not in the IS 2375
registry. If you use just "ISO" or
"ISO/IEC" or "IS" it would be fine. We would suggest that you use a
notation as close as possible to the ISO naming, for example "ISO 8859-
1:1987" - not just spaces. It would be preferrable that such an item could
be specified as just one token in a shell command line, and it is proposed
to use <underscore> for <space>. Alignment with the forthcoming
international registry that includes POSIX charmaps is requested.

Please use "UTF-8" instead of "UTF8", and please specify wheather it is
UCS2 or UCS4, and possibly also the endianness,
not just ISO 10646.

@ D.1 c 8

Annex D: a new RFC is available in RFC 1521

end of document