Subject: SC22 N2604 - Venue Information for WG21 March 1998 Meeting

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 17:09:42 -0500 (EST)

___________________ beginning of title page ___________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2604

TITLE:
Venue Information for SC22/WG21 (C++) Meeting on March 9-13, 1998 in
Sophia Antipolis, France

DATE ASSIGNED:
1997-11-07

SOURCE
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Venue Information

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDXENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

______________ end of title page; beginning of text ___________________

Venue Information for the Meeting of SC22/WG21 (C++) Meeting on March
                 9-13, 1998 in Sophia Antipolis, France

Here are some informations about the accomodation for the 9-13 of march  
1998 ISO-C++ meeting in Sophia Antipolis (France). The rates have been  
calculated on the basis of 1 USD = 6FF. The exchange rate may of course  
vary before march. The prices indicated have been negociated especially  
for the meeting. Renting a car is highly recommended, because most  
distances are long and the public transport network is not very dense.
The weather in march is very difficult to predict, it may be rainy,  
sunny, cold, cool, or even almost warm. But if you plan to have a bath in  
the mediterranean, better take a diving suit with you!

Nice Airport:
 
The airport which is closest to Sophia Antipolis is Nice Airport. Sophia  
is something like 25 km away from the airport. The airport offers various  
direct international connexions (via Delta Airlines  
http://www.delta-air.com) among which New York. Flights from Paris arrive  
or leave Nice Airport roughly every half an hour (two main airlines:  Air
Inter and AOM). If you plan to take a taxi from Nice Airport to Sophia  
Antipolis, be ready to pay something like $65, in french currency (only  
cash is accepted in most taxis).
     
    Meeting location:
 
The meeting will be held in the University of Nice, more specifically at  
the "Ecole Superieure en Sciences Informatiques" aka "ESSI":
    http://www.essi.fr
    ECOLE SUPERIEURE EN SCIENCES INFORMATIQUES
    930, Route des Colles
    BP 145
    F-06903 Sophia Antipolis CEDEX
    Phone: (+33) 4-92-96-50-50
    Fax: (+33) 4-92-96-50-55
    
    During the meeting ESSI will provide access to workstations (Sun and  
PC) and full Internet connection. It will be possible to reserve a room  
nearby to have lunch.
     
Hotels:
 
All Hotels are at the same distance (roughly 2 km) from the meeting rooms,  
and all located in a 500m long area. In order to get the rates indicated,  
reservation must be done at latest 15th of january and referencing  
ILOG/AFNOR rate. Do not use the Web sites for reservation, only for  
browsing.
    a.. Grand Hotel Mercure
    Rated **** (Executive Class).
    3550, Route des Dolines
    BP 15 
    F-06901 Sophia Antipolis 
    Phone: (+33) 4-92-96-68-78 
    Fax: (+33) 4-92-96-68-96 
    http://www.hotelweb.fr/HOTELWEB/G/12/1279G.htm#NIVEAU-0
     
    Rate: $95 per night, breakfast included. 
     
    a.. Hotel Mercure
    Rated ***. 
    Rue Albert Caquot 
    F-06560 Valbonne
    Phone: (+33) 4-92-96-04-04
    Fax: (+33) 4-92-96-05-05 
    http://www.hotelweb.fr/HOTELWEB/G/11/1122G.htm#NIVEAU-0
     
    Rate: $82 per night, breakfast included. 
     
    a.. Hotel IBIS
    Rated **. 
    Rue Albert Caquot 
    F-06560 Valbonne 
    Phone: (+33) 4-93-65-30-60 
    Fax: (+33) 4-93-95-83-99 
    http://www.hotelweb.fr/HOTELWEB/G/07/0711G.htm#NIVEAU-0
     
    Rate: $60 per night, breakfast included.
     
        Car Rental:
As indicated above, renting a car is highly recommended. Hotels are a bit  
too far to be considered as "walking distance" from the meeting rooms in  
the University of Nice. Furthermore, to be able to access all the nice  
places on the French Riviera, it will be very valuable. Before reserving,  
be aware that "automatic gearbox" is very expensive (Group D at AVIS)...  
The cheapest we've found is AVIS, but you're invited to check prices  
directly on the Web, because you may find lower prices there. Notice when  
comparing that a generous number of kilometers are included in the AVIS  
offer.
    a.. AVIS
    http://www.avis.com
    Available directly in Nice Airport. The rate is negociated provided  
that the car is returned at the airport. 
    Phone: (+33) 4-93-80-63-52 
    Fax: (+33) 4-93-87-32-82
    The rates are meant for seven days, and include 300km per day. 
    Subcompact (Manual): $259 
    B Category (Manual): $313
    When booking, specify "JN". 
     
    Social event:
We have been thinking of a tour to Monaco on the saturday 14th. The best  
offer we've found is the following one. We need to be aware early enough  
to which bracket the attendance will belong to (20->30, 31->40, more?).
    MONACO/MONTE CARLO
    This tour passes through enchanting Eze, a 14th-century hilltop  
village 1200 feet above Nice level which you enter through a fortified  
double gateway. The steep narrow streets are full of boutiques and  
artists' workshops and you can see most of the French Riviera from the  
exotic garden. There is also a Fragonard perfume factory to visit.
    Monaco, the old town and the capital of the independent principality  
which is surrounded by France, is built on a rock with perpendicular  
drops to the sea. You will arrive in time to see the Changing of the  
Guard outside Prince Rainier's Palace at noon. The principality has been  
in the hands of the Grimaldi family since 1297 and the present Prince is  
particularly known in the U.S. for his marriage to the American film star  
Grace Kelly.
    Monte Carlo, the new town, is famous worldwide for its casinos,  
palaces, rich villas, luxury shops, flowered terraces, trees and rare  
plants. If you plan to try your luck at the tables or slot machines,  
there is an entrance fee of FF 50 to go into the celebrated Monte Carlo  
Casino (jacket and tie are required in winter and shirt and tie in summer).
    Departure: 09.00            Return: 18.30
    Price per person:
    - 20 to 30 persons: with lunch $78
    - 31 to 40 persons: with lunch $62
    Prices include:
    a.. private coach 
        b.. english speaking guide 
        c.. lunch (drinks not included)
        For reservation, you can use the following e-mail address:  
[email-masked] (sorry I did not check it), or use the fax number  
of the tour agency: (+33) 4-93-13-95-05.
    In addition to your name and the number of participants, specify your  
e-mail address (in the e-mail or on the fax) so that we can confirm your  
reservation by e-mail. In case you do not receive any confirmation from  
us after a reasonable time, send mail to [email-masked]. When  
reserving by e-mail, better put [email-masked] and  
[email-masked] in carbon copy. If you are using a fax, you can  
specify your Visa, Europcard or Mastercard number (along with expiry  
date). No Amex or Diner's or others, sorry.
    
    Be aware that no show will be charged 100% of the total price.  
    Interesting web sites:
a.. http://www.french-riviera.fr
    b.. http://www.beyond.fr
    c.. http://www.riviera-isp.com
    d.. http://www.nice-coteazur.org 
    e.. http://citynet1.excite.com/countries/france/french_riviera
    f.. http://www.french-riviera-mag.com
    g.. http://www.mougins-coteazur.org/sophia.html (only french)
    h.. http://www.provenceweb.fr (only french)
    i.. http://wwww.alpes-azur.com (only french)
    j.. http://hem1.passagen.se/fredmart/riviera.html (!)
    k.. http://www.france.com
    For any further information, get in touch with Vincent Lextrait: [email-masked]

_____________________ end of SC22 N2604 __________________________