Subject: SC22 N2603 - Resolutions from JTC 1 September 1997 Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 16:23:43 -0500 (EST)

_________________ beginning of title page ___________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat: U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2603

TITLE
Resolutions of the Eleventh Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1, 9-12 September 1997,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

DATE ASSIGNED:
1997-11-07

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Resolutions of JTC 1 Meeting

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________ end of title page; beginning of text _____________________

ISO/IEC JTC 1 
Information Technology 

ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 5018 

DATE: 1997.09.22 

REPLACES 

DOC TYPE:
Resolutions 

TITLE:
Resolutions of the Eleventh Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1, 9-12 September 1997, Ottawa, Ontario,
Canada 

SOURCE:
JTC 1 Ottawa Plenary 

PROJECT: 

STATUS:
Ottawa Plenary Resolutions for information. 

ACTION ID: FYI 

DUE DATE: 

DISTRIBUTION: P and L Members 

MEDIUM: D

DISKETTE NO.: 152 

NO. OF PAGES: 19 

Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1, American National Standards Institute, 11 West  
42nd Street, New York, NY 10036; Telephone: 1 212 642 4932;  Facsimile: 1
212 398 0023; Email: [email-masked]

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Resolutions of the Eleventh Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1, 9-12 September 1997,
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Resolution 1 Appointments                              

In accordance with the JTC 1 Directives, JTC 1 makes the following  
appointments effective this date:

Prof. K. Shibano, Chairman, SC 2 (appointment)
Dr. J. Carlo, Chairman, SC 6(appointment)
Mr. F. Coallier, Chairman, SC 7(appointment)
Ms. E. Blanchon, Chairman, SC 1 (re-appointment)
Mrs. I. Valet-Harper, ITU-T/JTC 1 Liaison (through the next Plenary)

UNANIMOUS

Resolution 2 SWG-CA Recommendations To JTC 1 and its SCs Regarding  
Interoperability
                           
1. JTC 1 accepts the Report and Recommendations of its Special Working  
Group on Conformity Assessment on SC Responses to the Request for
Information and Action Plans. Specifically JTC 1 agrees with the findings
of SWG-CA that
         
          A standards project, when begun, must be well-structured, of  
sufficient market relevance, and encompass the items and areas necessary
for its focus (including concerns for cost-effectiveness, testability and
interoperability) from the project's beginning rather than try to embed  
such concerns later.

          JTC 1 should focus on ensuring that insofar as possible when an  
NP begins some form of project planning has been done and structure put in
place to make sure that the necessary elements for a "successful" SC,
standard, etc. are part of the NP itself and become part of the work as
developed. Existing JTC 1 policies, such as those on conformity and  
interoperability, should explicitly be part of the project plan and be
taken into account in the structure of each NP.

2. JTC 1 directs its Secretariat to modify the New Work Item Proposal --  
Project Acceptance Criteria as shown in document ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 4477 by
adding a new section to the table. This section will be "Conformity
Assessment and Interoperability" and will provide Conformity Assessment  
and Interoperability as subsections.  

For these subsections, the Validity choices will be "Yes" or "No"
        
For Notes to Proforma, for each subsection, the text will read 
 
           "Indicate here if (Conformity Assessment/Interoperability) is  
           relevant to your project.  If so, indicate how it is addressed
           in your project plan". 

  3. JTC 1 directs its Secretariat to modify the Business Plan for JTC 1  
or JTC 1/SCxx as shown in document ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 4478 by adding a
reference to Conformity Assessment and Interoperability to Section 3.3,
Work Program Priorities, so that the first sentence reads 
          
          "Based on the scope, market needs, strategies, resource  
          availability, status of existing projects, and need for 
          conformity assessment and interoperability, provide an overview
          of the work program priorities in capsule form."
          
UNANIMOUS

Resolution 3 Disbandment Of The Special Working Group On Conformity  
Assessment
                               
1. JTC 1 notes that with the exception of ongoing items related to  
ISO/CASCO liaison and documents, the major work items assigned to its
Special Working Group on Conformity Assessment have been completed,
specifically
          
- The JTC 1 Policy on Conformity Assessment

- The JTC 1 Policy on Interoperability

- The evaluation of SC Action Plans on Conformity Assessment and  
Interoperability and recommendations to JTC 1

- The Ad Hoc Group on Supplier's Declaration
 
  2.Therefore, JTC 1 disbands the Special Working Group on Conformity  
Assessment. JTC 1 wishes to thank the National Bodies which have been
active in SWG-CA for their contributions. JTC 1 also thanks Messrs.
Robichaux and Thewlis for their service as Convenors of  SWG-CA.

UNANIMOUS

Resolution 4 Establishment Of JTC 1 Liaison With ISO/CASCO

1. As ISO/IEC policies and recommendations are overriding for JTC 1, as  
ISO/CASCO is now tasked to write Standards in addition to Guides, and as
it is felt that information on and inputs to the development of ISO/CASCO
Guides and Standards will prove cost effective for the JTC 1 constituency,
JTC 1 feels that the ongoing activities of ISO/CASCO make a continuing  
liaison between JTC 1 and ISO/CASCO essential. This function has been
performed in the past by the Convener of SWG-CA, a position which no
longer exists.

2. JTC 1 therefore directs its Secretariat to establish a direct liaison  
between JTC 1 and ISO/CASCO. JTC 1 appoints Mr. Joel Urman (United States)
as the JTC 1 liaison to ISO/CASCO and to ISO/CASCO WG 11.
          
UNANIMOUS

Resolution 5 Establishment Of Conformity Assessment And Interoperability  
Rapporteur Group
                              
1. JTC 1 notes that there have been ongoing and are outstanding activities  
of its former Special Working Group on Conformity Assessment related to
the review of ISO/CASCO Guides and Drafts.  Even though SWG-CA has been
disbanded, JTC 1 feels that its decision making process can be assisted by
a group (formed of representatives nominated by interested JTC 1 NBs)  
making use of the expertise accumulated by SWG-CA, to which these
documents and other related conformity assessment and interoperability
matters could be refered, and from which recommendations could be
received by JTC 1 as appropriate.
      
2. JTC 1 therefore establishes a Conformity Assessment and
Interoperability Rapporteur Group, with standing membership of interested
National Bodies, and including the JTC 1 Liaison to ISO/CASCO.

3. This group will normally conduct its business via electronic  
communication. The Rapporteur will work with the JTC 1 Liaison fficer to
ISO/CASCO to ensure that ISO/CASCO Guides, Standards and Drafts are
distributed within the Rapporteur Group or to the whole of JTC 1 as  
appropriate; are evaluated as required; recommendations made to JTC 1 as
needed; and regular reports made to JTC 1 on the activities of the
Rapporteur Group. 

4. JTC 1 appoints Mr. Dave Thewlis (United States) as the Rapporteur for  
the Conformity Assessment and Interoperability Rapporteur Group.

5. JTC 1 directs its Secretariat to distribute a call to its National  
Bodies soliciting membership and nominations to the Conformity Assessment
and Interoperability Rapporteur Group, particularly from National Bodies
who have previously participated on SWG-CA.

UNANIMOUS

 Resolution 6 IrDA as a PAS Submitter

 Having reviewed the ballot results contained in document JTC 1 N 4839,  
JTC 1 approves IrDA as a Recognized PAS Submitter with the understanding
that IrDA will respond to the ballot comments given in N 4839 prior to
submitting a PAS specification for JTC 1 letter ballot.

UNANIMOUS

Resolution 7 EWOS PAS Submitter Status

1. JTC 1 welcomed EWOS as a Recognized PAS Submitter. However, having  
reviewed document JTC 1 N 4896, JTC 1 understands that EWOS will be
disbanded at the end September 1997. This will mean that the recognition
of EWOS will terminate.

2. JTC 1 notes that EWOS has submitted a set of specifications for  
progression under the JTC 1 PAS procedure. JTC 1 instructs its Secretariat
to contact EWOS before end September 1997 to confirm that:

EWOS still wishes to have these specifications processed under the JTC 1  
PAS procedure and, if yes,

Arrangements with EWOS will be made for the maintenance of these  
specifications

 UNANIMOUS

 Resolution 8 JTC 1 Delegation to ITSIG Seminar 

 JTC 1 authorizes Mr. Tom Frost (Convener JTC 1 Ad Hoc on Strategy for  
Implementation of IT)and an SC representative to represent JTC 1 at the 19
November 1997 ITSIG Seminar in Brussels. Mr. Frost is requested to provide
JTC 1 with a written report following the Seminar.
 
UNANIMOUS

Resolution 9 ISO High Level Steering Group Committee on CALS

  1.JTC 1 endorses the Rapporteurs report about the HLSG on CALS,  
detailed in JTC 1 N 4849, as well as the ISO HLSGC Report JTC 1 N4851 and
N4852 with the stipulation that no new or additional standards activities
be conducted outside the existing ISO/IEC committee structure. 

 2.JTC 1 recommends that Subcommittees and Working Groups disseminate  
copies of the report JTC 1 N 4849, N 4851, N 4852 to their members and
investigate means for incorporating the HLSGC Final Report findings and
recommendations into their respective programs of work. Subcommittees and
Working Groups are encouraged to collaborate with the International CALS  
Congress (ICC) in addressing the recommendations of the HLSGC. 

 3.JTC 1 thanks the Rapporteurs, Jerry Smith and Werner Koch, for  
representing JTC 1 in the ISO HLSGC and for continuing to be available for
further information on this subject.

UNANIMOUS

Resolution 10 Definition of Information Technology

JTC 1 requests its National Bodies to consider document JTC 1 N 4933,  
Contribution from SC 1 on the Definition of Information Technology.
National Body comments on this document should be submitted to the JTC 1
Secretariat no later than 1 January 1998. The JTC 1 Secretariat will
collect the comments and forward them to SC 1 for consideration. 

UNANIMOUS

Resolution 11 Modification to Agreement on Exchange of Information  
between JTC 1 and ETSI

JTC1 notes the comments and proposed modifications by a member body of  
the TMB to clause 4 of the Agreement. JTC 1 however, considers that
conformance by ETSI to the existing protocol between CEN, CENELEC and ETSI
on adoption of ISO/IEC standards is already covered by the first
sentence of this clause, Subject to the relevant Agreements between  CEN,
CENELEC and ETSI, ISO/IEC Standards may be adopted by ETSI as European
Standards. Therefore, the Agreement should remain unchanged.

UNANIMOUS

Resolution 12 GII Security Ad Hoc call for Participation

 JTC 1 requests its Secretariat to prepare and distribute a letter to JTC
1 National Bodies and Subcommittees; ISO, IEC and ITU-T Technical
Committees and Subcommittees; IETF and other appropriate fora informing
them of the activities of the GII Security Ad Hoc and inviting their
participation in the activities of the Ad Hoc and their comments on the  
scope, responsibilities and terms of reference. Document JTC 1 N 4882
pages 1 through 6 (the main body of the document without the annexes) is
to be attached to the letter to provide background and assist recipients
in making their decisions.

UNANIMOUS

 Resolution 13 Disbandment Of The Special Working Group On Global  
Information Infrastructure

1. JTC 1 notes that the following major work items have been completed:
         
 - Follow up from ISO/IEC/ITU Global Information Infrastructure Seminar 
(January 1996)

- First Report (December 1996) of SWG-GII to JTC 1 and follow up a 
ctivities

- GII Operational Roundtable Report  
(http://www.globalcollaboration.org/sort/1997-07-report.html)

- Initiation of GII Virtual Roundtable  
(http://www.globalcollaboration.org)

- Initiation of work on GII Security by JTC 1/SC27 Ad Hoc

- Creation of GII Roadmap Website  
(http://www.globalcollaboration.org/jtc1/gii-roadmap.html)

- Report from ISO/IEC JTC 1/SWG-GII Meeting, Ottawa, 3-5 September 1997.

2. JTC 1 further notes that ongoing activities remain in the areas of  
collaboration with other bodies and the completion of the JTC1 GII Roadmap
and the GII Overview. Additionally, that these activities do not require a
formal Special Working Group for completion.

3. Therefore, JTC 1 disbands the Special Working Group on GII effective  
31 December 1997. The SWG-GII will hold one meeting to complete the JTC 1
GII Roadmap and GII Overview. Both documents will be submitted by 31
December 1997 for JTC 1 approval.

4. JTC 1 expresses its thanks and appreciation to the SWG-GII Convener,  
Henry Ryan, and the Secretariat, Ian Cowan, for their leadership and
support of the SWG-GII since its inception.

UNANIMOUS

Resolution 14 Establishment Of GII Rapporteur Group

1. JTC 1 establishes a GII Rapporteur Group, effective 1 January 1998.  
The GII Rapporteur Group will:

a.maintain the Roadmap and assist in progression of the Overview document.  

b.continue liaison with ITU-T SG 13 and other key organizations with  
respect to GII, and
 
c.act as a JTC 1 focal point for GII matters. 

JTC 1 appoints Mr. Henry Ryan as Rapporteur of this group.  

2.JTC 1 values the cooperative relationship SWG-GII has enjoyed with  
ITU-T SG 13. JTC 1 resolves that the Rapporteur's Group retain this
liaison. JTC 1 nominates Mr. Henry Ryan to serve as this liaison, in
cooperation with JTC 1's formal liaison to ITU.

3. JTC 1 directs its Secretariat to distribute a call to its National  
Bodies soliciting membership and nominations to the GII Rapporteur Group,
particularly from National Bodies who have previously participated on
SWG-GII.

UNANIMOUS

Resolution 15 GII Roundtable Web Page

 1.JTC 1 resolves that the GII Virtual Roundtable web page be maintained  
by the joint efforts of the JTC 1 Secretariat and the IT Strategy Ad Hoc. 

2.JTC 1 resolves that the GII Roundtable Report and the Virtual Roundtable
Webpage (http://www.globalcollaboration.org) be made available to the
Global Information Society Conference.

 UNANIMOUS

Resolution 16 JTC 1 Technical Directions, Organizational Structure and  
Modes of Operation

JTC 1 approves document JTC 1 N 5015, Resolution of Comments to JTC 1  N
4780 (Recommendations of the JTC 1 Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Reengineering, 16-20
June 1997 in London, UK), noting in particular the revised technical
directions, organizational structure and modes of operation contained in
document JTC 1 N 5016.

UNANIMOUS

Resolution 17 - JTC 1 Organization

 Noting JTC 1's approval of the Technical Directions, Organizational  
Structure and Modes of Operation in document JTC 1 N 5016, and the
establishment of SC 32 Data Management Services and SC 33 Distributed
Application Services as contained therein, JTC 1 disbands the following
Subcommittees:
 
SC 14 Data Element Principles
SC 18 Document Processing and Related Communication
SC 21 Open Systems Interconnection, Data Management and Open Distributed  
Processing (following its Plenary in September 1997)
SC 30 Open-edi (following its Plenary in October 1997)

 All organizations listed above are requested to move towards the new  
structure defined in JTC 1 N 5016 as soon as possible. With this in mind,
any Working Group or other subgroup meetings of the above subcommittees
that are approved to occur prior to 1 May 1998 are authorized to take  
place as scheduled. Additional organizational meetings or expanded
meetings to address transitional issues may also be scheduled during that
period. The output of these meetings is to be forwarded to the appropriate
technical direction as identified in JTC 1 N 5016.

 JTC 1 expresses its thanks and appreciation to the SC Chairmen, WG  
Conveners and SC and WG Secretariats of these committees for their
leadership and support.

Resolution 18 Request to SC 21 To Assist In SC 32/SC 33 Planning

 Following the acceptance by JTC 1 of the Technical Directions,  
Organizational Structure and Modes of Operation contained in JTC 1 N 5016,
JTC 1 authorizes the creation of two subcommittees - SC 32 Data Management
Services and SC 33 Distributed Application Services. In view of the fact
that responses to JTC 1 N 4791 "Call for participation in and Secretariat
and Chairman support for" indicates a high level of interest in
participation but no offers for chairman and/or subcommittee secretariat,
SC 21 is requested to consider the following points in their September  
1997 meeting:

a.Finalize the proposed allocation of existing SC21 projects between SC32  
and SC33 as set out in JTC1 N4793 (SC21/WG7) and JTC1 N 5003 (SC21/WG3).

b.Propose a subdivision of the SC 21-related work of SC 32 and SC 33 into  
practically sized groupings employing IT methods widely.  These should be
chosen to increase the probability of positive responses to calls for
National Bodies for chairmen and secretariats of the subcommittees and
their working groups.

 Following receipt of SC 21's response, the JTC 1 Secretariat is requested  
to send the information to National Bodies together with an updated 3
month call for secretariat and/or chairman interest in SC
32 and SC 33.

 UNANIMOUS

Resolution 19 - Administration of SC 32 and SC 33

 Noting the absence of National Body volunteers to assume the Secretariat  
or provide a Chairman for the new SC 32 and SC 33, JTC 1 accepts the offer
of the US to provide the Secretariats for the new Subcommittees, through
the offices of the JTC 1 Secretariat, on an interim basis. This interim  
period will extend through July 1998. As part of this offer, the
Secretariat will appoint an acting Chairman
for each of the Subcommittees.

 The JTC 1 Secretariat is instructed to issue a 3 month Call for National  
Body interest to assume the Secretariat and/or Chairman's responsibilities
for the new Subcommittees immediately following the SC 21 Plenary meeting
in September 1997. The response document from SC 21, requested in
resolution 18, is to accompany this call to National Bodies. National  
Bodies are urged to strongly consider responding affirmatively to this
call. It is JTC 1's intention to disband, by the end of July 1998, either
or both of the new Subcommittees if a National Body has not offered to  
assume the Secretariat responsibilities. 

 UNANIMOUS

 Resolution 20 - Timing of Contributions for JTC 1 Meetings

 JTC 1 endorses the principles contained in the Australian Contribution  
on the Timing of Input Contributions to JTC 1 Plenary Meetings, JTC 1 N
4823, and instructs its Secretariat to incorporate those principles in the
next edition of the JTC 1 Directives.

 As the Directives implementing these principles will not be in place for  
the JTC 1 Plenary in June 1998 in Sendai, JTC 1 agrees that documents
raising new issues or those for which a final agreement at the Sendai
meeting is desired must be placed on the JTC 1 web site by 4 May 1998

 The following two exceptions will be permitted:

Comments on posted documents provided they are received by the  
Secretariat in a form suitable for immediate posting, not later than 25
May 1998.

 Requests and reports from Subcommittees to JTC 1 where the Subcommittee  
meeting is held after 4 May 1998. 

 Where new issues arise, any decision made on late documents may need to  
be confirmed by a National Body ballot after the Sendai meeting. Such
items must be posted to the Web as soon as possible after 4 May 1998 and
prior to the Sendai Plenary so that they are available to National Bodies
as well as delegates.

 UNANIMOUS

 Resolution 21 SWG on Registration Authorities

 Noting the actions disbanding the SWG-CA and the SWG-GII, JTC 1 agrees  
to convert the one remaining SWG on Registration Authorities (SWG-RA), to
a Rapporteur Group. To effect this change,

1. JTC 1 establishes a JTC 1 Rapporteurs Group on Registration Authorities  
(RG-RA) with the following Terms of Reference:

The RG-RA will carry out a review for each type of registration in order  
to avoid inconsistencies within JTC 1 and to assure the international
integrity of the registration. In addition, the RG-RA shall consider the
suitability of any organization(s) proposed for JTC 1 Registration  
Authorities

In addition to being open to representatives nominated by JTC 1 P-members,
SCs requesting a JTC 1Registration Authority may appoint representatives.

In reviewing a specific proposal for an organization to serve as a JTC 1  
Registration Authority, the following may participate in the RG-RA review:

           a representative of the NB, SC or category A liaison nominating  
           the JTC 1 Registration Authority, and 
           a representative of the JTC 1 Registration Authority  
           organization

2. JTC1 appoints Gary Robinson as the JTC 1 Rapporteur for Registration  
Authorities, and

3. JTC 1 disbands the SWG-RA.

4. JTC 1 directs its Secretariat to distribute a call to its National  
Bodies soliciting membership and nominations to the Registration Authority
Rapporteur Group, particularly from National Bodies who have previously
participated on SWG-RA.           

UNANIMOUS

 Resolution 22 JTC 1 Review of Recommendations from SWG-GII

 JTC 1 approves document JTC 1 N 5014, JTC 1 Review of Recommendations  
from SWG-GII, and instructs its Secretariat to forward this document to
JTC 1 National Bodies and Subcommittees for immediate use and
implementation.

 UNANIMOUS

 Resolution 23 JTC 1 Deliverables - Executive Summary

 JTC 1 approves document JTC 1 N 5013, JTC 1 Deliverables - Executive  
Summary, and instructs its Secretariat to forward this document to JTC 1
National Bodies and Subcommittees for immediate us and implementation.

 UNANIMOUS

Resolution 24 Disbandment of the Special Group on Functional  
Standardization

Noting the report of the SGFS contained in document JTC 1 N 4903, JTC 1  
disbands the Special Group on Functional Standardization following a short
final meeting of the SGFS in the last quarter of 1997 in Europe, if
necessary. Recognizing that there are several issues related to profiling  
activities that must be addressed, JTC 1 approves document JTC 1 N 5012
as the method to be followed in the disbandment of the SGFS.

JTC 1 expresses its thanks and appreciation to the SGFS Chairman, Willem  
Wakker, and the Secretariat, Peter Bessems, for their leadership and
support of the SGFS.

UNANIMOUS

 Resolution 25 JTC 1 External Message Strategy

JTC 1 approves document JTC 1 N 4774, with the additional text given in  
document N 5017, as the JTC 1 External Message Strategy. JTC 1 instructs
its Secretariat to combine these two documents and to submit the combined
text to the ITTF for conversion into a public relations document.

 UNANIMOUS

Resolution 26 Endorsement of Registration Authorities

 JTC 1 endorses the following organizations as Registration Authorities  
and instructs its Secretariat to request approval from the ISO and IEC
Councils:

          Organization Standard
1. SMPTE ISO/IEC 13818-1

2. IPSJ/ITSCJ ISO 2375

3. IPSJ/ITSCJ ISO 7350

4. NIMA SC 24 items

UNANIMOUS

 Resolution 27 Ad Hoc on Strategy for Implementation of IT

 JTC 1 notes the approval of the JTC 1 Policy on Electronic Document  
Distribution Using the World Wide Web (N 4761) as documented in the
Summary of Voting (N 5004), and the readiness of many JTC 1 National
Bodies and Subcommittee Secretariats for server-based document distribution as
reflected in N 4764. Consequently, JTC 1 reaffirms the timeline for  
implementation of IT (contained in N 4796) and JTC 1's intent to meet the
December 1997 target date for implementation of server-based document
distribution (referred to as "Stage 3" in N 4557) and phasing out of  
diskette distribution ("Stage 1").

 JTC 1 requests the IT Ad Hoc to:

prepare disposition of comments contained in N 4955, N 4998, N 5002 and N  
5004, 
     
provide assistance to National Bodies and Subcommittees by answering  
questions arising during the implementation of Stage 3 (National Bodies
and Subcommittees should address their questions to the IT Ad Hoc via the
JTC 1 Secretariat) propose modified and/or additional policies for  
functionality identified in the timeline and potential policies
documents,(N 4770) and 
     
prepare a final report of the ad hoc's activities and recommendations to  
be presented at the June 1998 JTC 1 Plenary.

 JTC 1 authorizes an additional meeting of the IT Ad Hoc (tentatively p 
lanned for first quarter 1998 in the U.S.). JTC 1 also authorizes the JTC
1 Secretariat to initiate 60 day letter ballots, as requested by the ad
hoc following its meeting, for JTC 1 approval.

UNANIMOUS

 Resolution 28 Technical Corrigenda

JTC 1 resolves that Technical Corrigenda under ballot be no longer  
distributed at the JTC 1 level but rather that the distribution be limited
to the SC concerned. The JTC 1 Secretariat is instructed to include this
change in the next revision of the JTC 1 Directives.

 JTC 1 does, however, wish to be kept informed of any Technical Corrigenda  
under development and/or submitted to ITTF for publication.  Subcommittee
Secretariats are instructed to provide the JTC 1 Secretariat with this
information as it becomes available.

 UNANIMOUS

Resolution 29 Metadata Workshop and the BSR

JTC 1 requests the ITTF to provide JTC 1 with information on the BSR.   
Upon receipt of this information, JTC 1 instructs its Secretariat to
circulate this information to JTC 1, along with a 60-day letter ballot on
approval of Resolution 1 of the Joint Workshop on Metadata Registries  
contained in document JTC 1 N 4934. 

 JTC 1 further instructs its Secretariat to forward document JTC 1 N 4934  
to the new SC 32, Data Management Services, for consideration and action
as appropriate.

 UNANIMOUS

Resolution 30 Disbandment of the Strategic Planning Rapporteur Group

JTC 1 notes the excellent job of the SPRG in successfully achieving its  
objectives and its influence in initiating the JTC 1 re-engineering
activity. However, with the completion of the JTC 1 reengineering 
activity, JTC 1 believes that the SPRG is no longer needed in its present  
form. 

Therefore, JTC 1 disbands the Strategic Planning Rapporteur Group.

JTC 1 believes that the JTC 1 Business Plan is the appropriate document  
to capture strategic elements. JTC 1 National Bodies and Subcommittees are
encouraged to supply strategic planning input to the JTC 1 Chairman for
inclusion in future revisions of the JTC 1Business Plan.

JTC 1 expresses its thanks and appreciation to the SPRG Rapporteur,  
George Sidey, for his leadership and support of the SPRG.
       
UNANIMOUS

Resolution 31 Cooperative Agreement Between JTC 1 and W3C

JTC 1 has received document JTC 1 N 4993, the Cooperative Agreement  
between JTC 1 and the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), and looks forward
to finalizing this agreement with the W3C. However, JTC 1 requires further
information from both SC 24 and ITTF before this agreement can be
finalized. 

Therefore, JTC 1 requests that SC 24 provide JTC 1 with supporting  
information detailing the benefits to be derived from this agreement and
that the ITTF review this document in light of current ISO and IEC
policies. JTC 1 asks SC 24 and the ITTF to submit this information to the  
JTC 1 Secretariat by 15 October 1997.

JTC 1 further instructs its Secretariat to forward document JTC 1 N4993,  
along with the information received from SC 24 and the ITTF, to JTC 1
National Bodies for a 60-day letter ballot on finalization of the
cooperative agreement. 

UNANIMOUS

Resolution 32 Release of Standards

JTC 1 instructs its Secretariat to request approval from the ISO and IEC  
Councils to place the following documents on the World Wide Web:

  1.ISO/IEC 14478 (PREMO)

     Germany: Abstains 

  2.ISO/IEC 2382 (Vocabulary standards)

     USA, Germany: Abstain

  3.Technical Corrigenda and Record of Responses for ISO/IEC 8652  
    (Programming Language Ada)

     Germany: Abstains 

  4.ISO/IEC 14662 (Open-edi Reference Model)

     Germany: Abstains

  5.ISO/IEC 10646

     USA, Germany: Abstain

  6.ISO/IEC 8859

     USA, Germany: Abstain

  7.ISO/IEC 2022

     USA, Germany: Abstain 

Resolution 33 Scope of IEC TC 100

Noting the concerns of SC 29 in document JTC 1 N 4841 regarding the strong
likelihood for overlapping or conflicting standards between IEC TC 100 and
JTC 1, JTC 1 requests its Chairman to bring this issue to the attention of
the ISO Technical Management Board and the IEC Committee of
Action.

In light of these concerns, JTC 1 will take no action on the IEC TC 100  
request for Category B Liaison at this time. This request will be held in
abeyance pending resolution of JTC 1's concerns by the ISO Technical
Management Board and the IEC Committee of Action.

 UNANIMOUS

 Resolution 34 Category B Liaison

Having reviewed the requests for Category B Liaison, JTC 1 recommends that  
ITTF grant Category B Liaison as follows:  JTC 1/SC 24 - MEDSEC
                          
UNANIMOUS

Resolution 35 Category C Liaisons

Having reviewed the requests for Category C Liaison, JTC 1 recommends that  
ITTF grant Category C Liaison status as follows:

JTC 1/SC 29 - Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union(4837)

JTC 1/SC 2 - United Nations
                      University International
                      Institute for Software Technologies (4940)

UNANIMOUS                                                
                                        
Resolution 36 Category A Liaisons

Having reviewed the requests for Category A Liaison, JTC 1 recommends that  
ITTF grant Category A Liaison status as follows:

JTC 1/SC 31 - EAN International

JTC 1/SC 31 - AIM International

UNANIMOUS

Resolution 37 JTC 1 Delegation to JTAG 2

JTC 1 authorizes the following delegation to represent JTC 1 at future  
JTAG 2 meetings:

Mr. Jan van den Beld (SC 2, SC 11, SC 23)
Mr. Roy Pierce (SC 28)
Dr. Hiroshi Yasuda (SC 29), Head of Delegation (pending agreement from  
Dr. Yasuda) 
Dr. Scott Foshee (SC 24)
Mr. T. Frost (Convener JTC 1 Ad Hoc on IT Strategies)

UNANIMOUS

Resolution 38 Modification of Project 1.27.19 

JTC 1 approves the modification of project 1.27.19 as requested by SC 27  
in document JTC 1 N 4636.

 UNANIMOUS

 Resolution 39 Availability of Defined Terms

 JTC 1 requests SC 1 to review document JTC 1 N 4840, Australian  
Contribution on Availability of Defined Terms, and to provide JTC 1 with
the results of this review at the June 1998 JTC 1 Plenary meeting in
Sendai.
 
JTC 1 asks its National Bodies to consider hosting a pilot implementation,  
the structure and content of which should be determined by SC 1.

 UNANIMOUS

 Resolution 40 Revision of the JTC 1 Directives

JTC 1 instructs its Secretariat to begin a revision of the JTC 1  
Directives incorporating all currently approved additions and 
modifications, with the exception of those still undergoing trial use  
(such PAS and Business Teams), and other changes necessitated by actions
of JTC 1's reengineering and IT strategy ad hocs. This revision activity  
should attempt to streamline and improve the clarity and utility of the
Directives to the greatest extent possible.

The JTC 1 Secretariat is requested to present a draft 4th edition of the  
JTC 1 Directives at the June 1998 Plenary.

JTC 1 authorizes its Secretariat to convene a Procedures ad hoc meeting  
in early 1998.

JTC 1 National Bodies and Subcommittees are requested to comment and  
provide specific suggestions for changes and improvements to the JTC 1
Directives by 1 Jan 1998.

 UNANIMOUS

Resolution 41 SC 31 Work on RFID

JTC 1 has reviewed document JTC 1 N 4822, Report from SC 31 on  
Relationship with ISO/TC 204, ISO/TC 68/SC 6 and ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 17 on
RFID Related Work, and agrees that SC 31 may now begin to submit New Work
Item Proposals on RFID technology to JTC 1 for letter ballot. 

 UNANIMOUS

Resolution 42 Responsibility for ISO 7064:1983, Check Character System

JTC 1 approves the inclusion of ISO 7064:1983, Check Character System,  
into the SC 27 Programme of Work.

 UNANIMOUS

Resolution 43 Cultural Adaptability Workshop

1.JTC 1 thanks SC 2 for its offer to sponsor and organize the JTC 1  
Cultural Adaptability Workshop. 

2.JTC 1 thanks the National Body of Canada for its offer to host the JTC 1
Cultural Adaptability Workshop. JTC 1 acknowledges France's strong
emphasis on the importance of this Workshop and its related objectives.
Due to advance planning, reference venue and meeting bookings undertaken  
by the National Body of Canada, acceptance of Canada's offer to host is
most beneficial at this time. The tentative dates for the workshop are
20-22 January 1998. JTC 1 notes that, should a subsequent meeting be
authorized by JTC 1, France has made a preliminary offer to host it in  
Paris.
 
UNANIMOUS

Resolution 44 Fast Track DIS Ballot 9735

ISO/IEC JTC 1 expresses major concern with the Fast Track ISO DIS 9735  
Ballot. JTC1 understands that several parts (notably parts 5, 6 and 9) of
this proposed standard may be in conflict and non inter-operable with
existing, well established standards. It is further noted that use of  
this standard could necessitate organizations establishing a parallel and
completely separate infrastructures which current experience shows is an
expensive undertaking. 

ISO/IEC JTC1 directs its Secretariat to communicate with ISO/TC 154, ITTF  
and, if necessary, the TMB expressing its concern and request to TC 154 to
address JTC 1's issues before publication of IS 9735. JTC 1 N 4967 is to
be attached to provide additional background information.

ISO/IEC JTC 1 instructs its secretariat to immediately distribute the  
latest version of ISO DIS 9735 to the appropriate JTC 1 SCs in order that
they can review and comment by 31 December 1997.

Resolution 45 Responsibility for Software Engineering

JTC 1 instructs its Chairman to take appropriate action to ensure that  
decisions are taken by ISO and IEC to the effect that JTC 1/SC 7 is the
sole body responsible for software engineering. This information should be
disseminated to all affected ISO and IEC committees and steps taken to  
make them aware of the SC 7 Programme of Work.

UNANIMOUS

Resolution 46 Special Presentations

JTC 1 expresses its appreciation to

1. Mr. M. Smith - ISO Directions
2. Mr. A. Raeburn - IEC Directions

for joining JTC 1 at its 10th Anniversary meeting and also for the  
excellent presentations given at this Plenary Meeting.

 Acclamation

Resolution 47 Future Meetings

The following schedule of JTC 1 Plenary Meetings is agreed:

1-5 June 1998 - Sendai, Japan
January 1999 - Brazil
October 1999 - Seoul, Korea

The JTC 1 Chairman and Secretariat will have a one-day discussion forum  
with the JTC 1 Sub-group Chairmen and Rapporteurs preceding the Plenary
Meeting. Heads of Delegations will be invited to attend.

UNANIMOUS

Resolution 48 JTC 1 Business Team on Electronic Commerce

JTC 1 notes the first report for its Business Team on Electronic Commerce,  
as in JTC 1 N 4927, and encourages its National Bodies and the Team to
promote increased participation of interested parties in the Business
Team.

UNANIMOUS

 Resolution 49 JTC 1 Reengineering

JTC 1 notes the outstanding accomplishments of its Ad Hoc Group on JTC 1  
Reengineering and resolves to disband the Ad Hoc Group, with the
understanding that reengineering remains an ongoing issue for JTC 1. 

JTC 1 expresses its thanks and appreciation to its Chairman for having  
led the Ad Hoc Group through its difficult undertakings. 

UNANIMOUS

RESOLUTION APPRECIATION

a) JTC 1 expresses its appreciation to Mr. Richard LaFontaine, Chairman of  
SCC, for his welcoming remarks and expressions of support of the work of
JTC 1. 
        
b) JTC 1 expresses its appreciation to SCC and in particular, to the  
Hosting Committee members: Ed Acheson, Doug Langlotz and Carman Mondello,
for the wonderful meeting facilities, for choosing the beautiful and
special 10th Anniversary gifts and for the excellent meeting planning.  
These "seasoned" JTC 1 participants anticipated all our needs, treated us
very well and contributed greatly to the smooth running of the meeting.
    
c) JTC 1 expresses its appreciation to the meeting organizer, Marg Coll,  
and to the on-site meeting co-ordinators, Jennifer Wallis and Nancy
Coll-Brault, for the excellent meeting support. Their competence and good
humor in responding to the many demands of the meeting made them
invaluable.
       
d) JTC 1 expresses its appreciation to SCC and the following Sponsors for  
making this 10th Anniversary meeting so memorable. The beautiful meeting
gifts (pen and pencil set and valise bag), the tickets to the Renoir
exhibit, the excursion to the IMAX theatre presentation and the wonderful
dinner at the Chateau Laurier were very much appreciated.
        
Treasury Board Secretariat 
Industry Canada 
DIGITAL
IBM
Nortel 
ITAC

e) JTC 1 expresses its appreciation to the Subcommittee Chairmen,  
Secretaries, and Conveners of its Special Working Groups for their efforts
in support of the work of JTC 1and for the preparation of the reports,
business plans and presentations that reflect these activities.

f.JTC 1 expresses its appreciation to the Drafting Committee for its  
completion of the resolutions.

g) JTC 1 National Bodies wish to express their appreciation and  
congratulations to the JTC 1 Chairman and Secretariat for their leadership
and the successful completion of the 10th Anniversary
Plenary in Ottawa.

___________________ end of SC22 N2603 ____________________________________