Subject: SC22 N2585 - SC22 Liaison Report to SC2

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 13:33:26 -0400 (EDT)

____________________ beginning of title page _____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat: U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2585

TITLE
SC22 Laision Report to SC2

DATE ASSIGNED:
1997-09-15

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Liaison Report

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
As requested at the August 1997 SC22 Plenary, Mr. Van Wingen has provided
this liaison report.

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2573

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Def

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________________end of title page; beginning of report ________

  INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOR STANDARDIZATION

                                           ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2  N
                                           June 1997

                                           VERSION 1.0

  REPORT OF THE SC2 LIAISON REPRESENTATIVE TO SC22
  TO ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2 Plenary meeting,
  8-9 July 1997, Iraklio, Greece

  The activities of SC22, Programming languages, their environments and
  system software interfaces, with respect to character coding issues
  were followed as closely as possible. The SC22 Plenary meeting took
  place in London, UK, 23-27 September 1996.

  Only one resolution of particular interest to SC2 was adopted. This
  endorsed sending to SC2 a comment to PDAM9 to ISO/IEC 10646-1 (SC22 N
  2291), circulated in SC2 as N 2764. There was some history behind it.

  At the Annapolis meeting of SC22 in 1995 a proposal was adopted
  (recorded in N 1968) to request SC2 to introduce "identifiers" in its
  standards. The SC2 Liaison Representative was not consulted, who had
  been able to contribute very critical remarks, which he only could
  communicate to the SC22 Chairman when it was too late. No delegation
  was informed beforehand of this proposal, and thus no timely
  discussion in the national committees was possible resulting in proper
  instruction to the delegates. Thus the matter was raised again at the
  next SC22 Plenary meeting in London, 23-27 September, with the result
  that several amendments were proposed to PDAM9. At present DAM9 is
  under vote, and a Disposition of Comments produced (SC2 N 2826). It
  is clear that the DAM9, apart from some editorial defects, conforms
  to SC22's wishes, but no mention was made in the D of C of SC22, be
  it that the Project Editor apologised to this writer for the omission.
  A formal resolution by SC2 should acknowledge the acceptation of the
  SC22 comments, and sent as a liaison statement to SC22. Nor DAM9, nor
  N 2826 were submitted to SC22 for comment.

  The next SC22 Plenary meeting will be 18-22 August 1997 in Ottawa,
  Canada.

____________________ end of SC22 N2585 ______________________________