Subject: SC22 N2574 - Resolutions from SC22 Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 17:16:28 -0400 (EDT)

____________________ beginning of title page ______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2574

TITLE:
Resolutions Prepared at the Tenth Plenary Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 on
August 18-21, 1997 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

DATE ASSIGNED:
1997-08-27

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
N/A

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2572, N2573, N2575

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_______________ end of title page; beginning of resolutions ____________

           Resolutions Prepared at the Tenth Plenary Meeting of
                            ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
                         Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
                            August 18-21, 1997

Resolution 97-1:    Condolences to the Family of Brian Meek

The SC22 community was saddened by the news of the passing of Brian Meek  
in July.  Brian was a pillar of programming language standardization
activity, both in the UK and worldwide. He was responsible for the
production of TR 10176 "Guidelines for the Preparation of Programming  
Language Standards", and played a major role in the work of WG5 and WG11.
Brian made many contributions at the SC22 level both as a member and as
Head of the UK delegation. The world of programming language standards
will not be the same without him.

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 expresses its condolences and sympathy to the family  
and friends of Brian Meek, and extends its appreciation for his many
faithful years of service to the standards community.

Resolution 97-2:   Approval of SC22 Work Program

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the revised Program of Work detailed in  
document N2579.

Resolution 97-3:    Revisions to Normative Part of Fortran (Part 2)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the request of WG5 to be permitted to make  
revisions to the normative text as well as to the informative text in the
revision of ISO/IEC IS 1539-2:1994 under project JTC 1.22.02.02.

Resolution 97-4.    Public Availability of Ada Technical Corrigenda

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 directs the Secretariat to request JTC 1 to request  
ITTF to permit SC22/WG9 to make publicly available the Technical
Corrigenda and Record of Responses for ISO/IEC 8652:1995 using
the justification in document N2528.

Resolution 97-5.    Ballot Resolution Participation

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 reminds National Bodies that they have a duty to be  
properly represented in the ballot resolution process. Note: This
representation does not require attendance at a meeting, but may be
satisfied by identifying a contact knowledgeable with the NB issues.

Resolution 97-6:    Withdrawal of POSIX TFDS Project

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the withdrawal of project JTC 1.22.21.01.03.01  
- Amendment to ISO 9945-1:  Distributed Services -Transparent File
Services.

Resolution 97-7:    Withdrawal of WG22 Project - PCTE Part 4

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the withdrawal of project JTC 1.22.47.4 -  
PCTE Part 4: C++   Binding.

Resolution 97-8:    Withdrawal of WG15 Project

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the withdrawal of Project JTC1.22.14515 - Test  
Methods for POSIX Based Standards (Umbrella Project).

Resolution 97-9:    Withdrawal of BASIC Technical Corrigendum 1 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the withdrawal of Technical Corrigendum 1 to  
ISO/IEC 10279:1991 - Programming Language BASIC under project JTC1.22.11.

Resolution 97-10:  Approval of WG15 Revised Synchronization Plan

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the revised Synchronization Plan for WG15  
contained in document N2487.

Resolution 97-11:        Name Change for a WG20 Project

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the request of WG20 that the title of  
JTC1.22.30.02.02  be changed from "International String Ordering - Method
for Comparing Character Strings and Description of a Default Tailorable
Ordering", to "International String Ordering and Comparison - Method for  
Comparing Character Strings and Description of the Common Template
Tailorable Ordering".

Resolution 97-12:  Extension of Java (TM) Study Group (JSG) study period

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 extends the study period for the  Java Study Group  
until the 1998 SC22 Plenary. A description of the original establishment
and charter of the JSG may be found in SC22 Resolution 96-25. 
 
Resolution 97-13:  Future SC22 Java Activity 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 directs its Secretariat to offer the services of SC22  
for ballot resolution and subsequent Standard maintenance in the event
that Sun Microsystems is approved as a PAS submitter and submits a
specification or specifications for the Java Programming Language, Java  
Virtual Machine, and/or Core class libraries.

Resolution 97-14:  JSG as Ballot Resolution Group

In the event that SC22 is assigned ballot resolution for the Fast Track of  
ECMA-262 (as expected to be requested by ECMA), ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 assigns
the responsibility for hosting the ballot resolution meeting to the Java
Study Group.

Resolution 97-15:  Liaison with SC29

In response to a request from SC29 for liaison (N2458), ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22  
appoints Dr. Robert Mathis as liaison to SC29 for the purpose of
coordinating Java related standards.

Resolution 97-16:  Liaison with ECMA TC39

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 appoints Dr. Robert Mathis as liaison with ECMA TC39  
for the purpose of coordinating ECMAScript standards.

 Resolution 97-17:  Workshop on Cultural Adaptability

ISO/IEC JTC 1/ SC22 endorses the need for the Workshop on Cultural  
Adaptability and requests SC2 to add the following representatives from
SC22 to the Workshop Planning Committee:
  Miles Ellis, Convener SC22/WG5
  Alain LaBonte, Project Editor, SC22/WG20
  Pierre Parquier, Convener of SC22/WG16.

Resolution 97-18:  SC22 Positions for Workshop on Cultural Adaptability

ISO/IEC JTC 1/ SC22 approves the following schedule for the development  
of the SC22 positions for the Cultural Adaptability Workshop:

     September 15, 1997 - Mr. Jameson, Convener of the SC22 Ad hoc on the  
     Cultural Adaptability Workshop, will place a draft covering key
     issues on the SC22 reflector for e-mail discussion and debate.

     October 15, 1997 - Beginning of 30 day National Body ballot on the  
     final draft to be provided by  Mr. Jameson.

     November 15, 1997 - Close of ballot resulting in establishment of  
     agreed-upon positions.

Resolution 97-19:  SC22 Delegates to the Workshop on Cultural Adaptability

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 appoints 
     Ann Wallace, 
     Miles Ellis, and 
     Arnold Winkler
as delegates to the Workshop on Cultural Adaptability, pending approval  
of their respective institutions.

Resolution 97-20:  Concurrent Letter Ballots for Fortran (Part 2)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 authorizes the Secretariat to conduct concurrent CD  
registration and CD letter ballots for project JTC 1.22.02.02 - Revision
of ISO/IEC 1539-2:1994.

Resolution 97-21:  Concurrent Letter Ballots for Ada ASIS

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 authorizes the Secretariat to conduct concurrent CD  
registration and Final CD letter ballots for project JTC 1.22.15291 - Ada
Semantic Interface Specification (ASIS).

Resolution 97-22.   Concurrent PDTR registration and Ballot for  
                    Interfacing Modula-2 to C

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 authorizes the Secretariat to conduct concurrent PDTR  
registration and PDTR letter ballots for project JTC1.22.15436 -
Interfacing Modula-2 to C.

Resolution 97-23:  Concurrent Ballots for Internationalization

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 authorizes the Secretariat to conduct concurrent CD  
registration and CD letter ballots for project JTC1.22.15435 - API's for
Internationalization.

Resolution 97-24:  SC22 Business Plan

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 adopts N2568 as the SC22 Business Plan for the period  
December 1996 - September 1997, and requests that the Chairman forward the
document to JTC 1.

Resolution 97-25:  Late Projects Review

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 affirms N2418 as its response to the JTC 1 late  
projects review request and directs the Chairman to forward the document
to JTC 1.

Resolution 97-26:  Response to N2374 Procedures for Mature Standards

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 affirms N2567 as its response to the JTC 1 request for  
comments on document JTC 1 N4353 and directs the Chairman to forward the
document to JTC 1.

Resolution 97-27:  Justification for Standards Development Document Formats

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 affirms N2571 as its response to the request in JTC 1  
N4761 paragraph 4.1, and directs the Chairman to forward the document to
JTC 1.

Resolution 97-28:  Work Program Review

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 affirms N2570 as its response to the JTC1 work program  
review request (N4504), and directs the Chairman to forward the document
to JTC 1.

Resolution 97-29:  Guide for Server-Based Distribution of SC22 Documents

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 adopts N2569 as its server-based method of distributing  
documents.

Resolution 97-30:  Termination of Liaison

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 terminates its liaison with ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC21.

Resolution 97-31:  Standards for Periodic Review

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 recommends that the following standards be confirmed:
 
     ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993 - POSIX, Part 2: Shell and Utilities,

     ISO/IEC TR 10182:1993 - Binding Techniques for Programming Languages.

Resolution 97-32:  Retention of Projects not reaching CD Stage within  
                   Three Years of NP

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 notes that the projects below have exceeded the  
statutory time for proceeding from NP to CD stage;

notes, however, that significant progress has been made on these projects,  
and there is no reason to suppose that they will not be completed;

having reviewed the situation in each case, accepts the explanation that  
has been presented for the need for further time in the case of these
documents; and therefore

authorizes the extension by one year of the time permitted for proceeding  
from the NP to CD stage for the following projects:

     JTC 1.22.09.02      Character Repertoire for APL,
     JTC 1.22.24.02      Character Repertoire for Extended APL,
     JTC 1.22.34         Complex Floating Point Arithmetic and Complex
                         Elementary Numeric Functions,
     JTC 1.22.46         Guidelines for Preparation of Language
                         Independent Service Specifications,
     JTC 1.22.21.01.01   POSIX System Interface (Language Independent),
     JTC 1.22.21.04.02   POSIX Ada Binding, Part 2 (Realtime),
     JTC 1.22.29.02      Vienna Development Method/Specification Language,  
                         Part 2: Modules.

Resolution 97-33:  Reappoinment of Conveners

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the following reappointments:
  
  Dr. Lee Dickey as Convener of WG3.
  
  Ms. Ann Wallace as Convener of WG4 (pending confirmation from the United  
  States National Body).
  
  Mr. Jim Isaak as Acting Convener of WG15 until the 1998 SC22 Plenary or  
  until a new Convener can be identified, whichever occurs first.
  
  Mr. Roger Scowen as Convener of WG17 (pending confirmation from the  
  United Kingdom National Body).
  
  Mr. Regis Minot as Acting Convener of WG22 until the 1998 SC22 Plenary  
  or until termination of WG22, whichever occurs first.
  
  Dr. Robert Mathis as Convener of the Java Study Group until the 1998  
  SC22 Plenary.

Resolution 97-34:  Project Editor Appointments/Reappointments 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 approves the following appointments and reappointments:

  Mr. Richard Maine (USA) as Project Editor for project JTC 1.22.02.01.01  
  - revision of the base Fortran Standard - ISO/IEC IS 1539-1:1997,
  
  Dr. Erhard Ploedereder (Germany) and Mr. Robert Duff (USA) as Project  
  Editors for project JTC 1.22.10.01 - Revision of Ada IS 2231,
  
  Mr. Andreas Koeller (Germany) as Project Editor for project JTC 1.22.31  
  - SQL Ada Module Extension language,
  
  Mr. Kent Karlsson (Sweden) as Project Editor for projects 
    JTC 1.22.28 - Language Independent Arithmetic,
    JTC 1.22.33 - Language Independent Arithmetic, Part 2,
    JTC 1.22.34 - Complex Floating Point Arithmetic and Complex Elementary
                  Numeric Functions,
    
  Mr. Don Folland (UK) as Project Editor for project JTC1.22.38 - Guide to  
  POSIX Open Systems Environment,
   
  Mr. Norm Aaronson (USA) as Project Editor for project JTC1.22.21.02.03 -  
  Addendum 1 on Batch Services-Protocol Independent Interface,
  
  Mr. Keld Simonsen (Denmark) as Project Editor for project JTC1.22.15435  
  - Internationalization APIs,
  
  Mr. Michael Gonzalez (Spain) as Project Editor for project  
  JTC1.22.21.04.01.01 - Advanced Real Time Amendment.

Resolution 97-35:  1998 Plenary in Copenhagen, Denmark

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 accepts the generous offer of Denmark (N2562) to host  
the 1998 SC22 Plenary meeting in Copenhagen August 24-28, 1998.

Resolution 97-36:  1999 Plenary in Berlin, Germany

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 accepts the generous offer of Germany (N2495) to host  
the 1999 SC22 Plenary meeting in Berlin September 20-24, 1999.

Resolution 97-37:  Appreciation: SC22 Web Page and E-mail Reflector  
                   Maintainer

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 expresses its appreciation to Mr. Keld Simonsen and  
the Danish UNIX Users Group for the excellent SC22 World Wide Web pages
and e-mail reflector they maintain.

Resolution 97-38:  Appreciation: Web Document List

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 expresses its appreciation to the Danish Standards  
Association for the very useful and much needed document lists of JTC 1
Committee documents being provided by them on the World Wide Web.

Resolution 97-39:  Appreciation: Mr. Jim Isaak

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 notes that Mr. Jim Isaak plans to retire as Convener of  
SC22/WG15, and expresses its warmest thanks and appreciation to him for
his many years of service.

Resolution 97-40:  Appreciation: Dr. Norihisa Doi 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 expresses its gratitude and appreciation to Dr.  
Norihisa Doi for his many contributions to ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 as Head of
Delegation for the Japan Member Body.

Resolution 97-41:  Appreciation: Mr. Kees Pronk

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 expresses its gratitude and appreciation to Mr. Kees  
Pronk for his many contributions to ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 as Head of
Delegation for the Netherlands Member Body.

Resolution 97-42:  Appreciation: General

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 expresses its appreciation to all those who have  
assisted in the work of this meeting, and in particular:

to the companies and institutions that sponsored the meeting; namely  The
Standards Council of Canada Odyssey Research Associates, Oracle, Nortel,  
Digital Equipment Corporation, Maurya Software, Inc., Xerox, Cognos and
IBM;

to Dr. Graham Warren, Mr. Stephen Michell and Mr. Doug Langlotz for  
organization of the meeting and especially to Ms. Marian Mayer for her
outstanding meeting support;

to the ad hoc meeting Conveners; namely Mr. Scott Jameson (Cultural  
Adaptability), Mr. Robert Follett (SC22 Business Plan), and Mr. John
Benito (Justification for SC22 Standards Development Formats);
 
to the Drafting Committee members, namely: Ms. Kate Schell (Chairman),  
Mr. Toshiaki Kurokawa, Mr. Keld Simonsen and Mr. Rick Sutcliffe; 
 
to Mr. William Rinehuls for his continuing excellent management of the  
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 program of work as the SC22 Secretariat; and, last but
not least,

to Mr. Robert Follett for his patient, good-humored but, nevertheless,  
efficient chairing of the meeting.

All Resolutions were approved unanimously except Resolution 97-10.  On Resolution 97-10, Denmark
voted against approval.

_________________________ end of SC22 N2574 __________________________