Subject: SC22 N2573 - Minutes of August 1997 SC22 Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 16:54:49 -0400 (EDT)

__________________ beginning of title page __________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2573

TITLE:
Minutes of the Tenth Plenary Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 on August
18-21, 1997 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

DATE ASSIGNED:
1997-08-27

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
N/A

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2572, N2574, N2575

DISITRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________________ end of title page; beginning of minutes _______

                     MINUTES OF THE TENTH PLENARY OF
                           ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
                         OTTAWA, ONTARIO, CANADA
                           August 18-21, 1997

1.   OPENING OF THE MEETING

The Chairman of JTC 1/SC22, Mr. Robert Follett, officially opened the  
Tenth Plenary of JTC 1/SC22 at 1000  hours on August 18, 1997.  Mr. Doug
Langlotz of the Standards Council of Canada welcomed the delegates to
Ottawa and introduced Mr. Robert Kearney, past Chairman of SC22, who
addressed the delegates, recounting past SC22 achievements and expressing  
the continuing importance of the standardization activities within SC22.
Mr. Graham Warren, host for the meeting, then invited all delegates to a
dinner in their honor on Wednesday, August 20, 1997 and a reception on  
Monday, August 18, 1997.

2.   CHAIRMAN'S REMARKS

Mr. Follett indicated that he would discuss the meeting plans under  
Agenda Item 5 and provide more extensive remarks concerning SC22 under
Agenda Item 7.1.

At his suggestion, SC22 observed a moment of silence in memory of Mr.
Brian Meek, one of our longest standing members.  See Resolution 97-1.

3.   ROLL CALL OF DELEGATES

The list of delegates in attendance at the Tenth Plenary of JTC 1/SC22 is  
documented in SC22 N2575.

4.   APPOINTMENT OF DRAFTING COMMITTEE

The following delegates were appointed to the drafting committee:

               Ms. Kate Schell - Chairman
               Mr. Toshaiaki Kurokawa
               Mr. Keld Simonsen
               Mr. Rick Sutcliffe

5.   ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA

The revised agenda for the meeting, contained in SC22 N2517, as revised,  
was adopted.  (The final agenda for the meeting as adopted is contained in
document SC22 N2572.)

6.   REPORT OF THE SECRETARIAT

Mr. William Rinehuls, Secretariat of SC22, referred delegates to document  
SC22 N2451, the SC22 Secretariat Report for this meeting, noting that
there are two new "P-members" since the last Plenary:  Ireland (SC22
N2269) and Norway (SC22 N2417) and Israel has become an new "O-member  
(SC22 N2357).  He requested that all Conveners provide him with
corrections and updates to the Convener and Project Editor personnel
sections of the SC22 Secretariat Report, before the end of the meeting.

6.1  SC22 PROJECT INFORMATION

Mr. Rinehuls referred delegates to document SC22 N2452, the updated SC22  
Programme of Work.  He requested all Conveners to provide him with  
corrections and updates related to their respective projects before the
end of the meeting.

In this regard, Mr. Follett requested that all dates should be forecast  
for all projects since JTC 1 wants a complete schedule.

6.2  OUTSTANDING ACTIONS FROM THE EIGHTH PLENARY OF SC22

The following resolutions of the Ninth Plenary were discussed:

Resolution 96-5.  It was noted that the Concurrent CD registration and CD  
ballot have not yet been conducted.

Resolution 96-10.  It was noted that the request was sent by the SC22  
Secretariat to the JTC 1 and that JTC 1, in turn, requested permission
from ITTF.  However, no response has been received to date.

Resolution 96-14.  It was noted that the document has not yet been 
submitted for fast-track.

Resolution 96-19.  It was noted that this resolution has been overtaken by  
events occurring since the Plenary.  The subject of a Basic Technical
Corrigendum will be discussed further under Agenda Item 9.1.1.

Resolution 96-22.  It was noted that the ANDF project in SC26 has  
subsequently been cancelled.

Resolution 96-39.  It was noted that the Concurrent CD registration and CD ballot have not yet been
conducted.

With the exceptions noted in the list above, the delegates agreed that  
there were no action items outstanding.

6.3  JTC 1/SC22 STANDING DOCUMENTS

Document SC22 N2550 was reviewed and the delegates agreed that this  
listing, updating and distributed with the SC22 Document Register, was
useful and that that practice should continue.

6.4  RELINQUISHMENT OF SC22 SECRETARIAT

Document SC22 N2519 is a letter from the United States indicating it will  
relinquish the SC22 Secretariat on July 10, 1998.

7.   ACTIVITY REPORTS

7.1  REPORT OF THE CHAIRMAN

Mr. Follett referred delegates to document SC22 N2365 which contains his  
report on the ISO/IEC JTC 1 Plenary in December 1996.  He also noted that
document SC22 N2381 contains the resolutions from that meeting.  He noted
that he had also attended a number of other meetings on behalf of SC22;
specifically:  

a.   the JTC 1 Ad Hoc on Implementation of IT meetings on September 30- 
     October 2, 1996, February 25-27, 1997 and June 23-26, 1997.  His
     reports of these meetings are contained in SC22 N2521, N2431 and
     N2511, respectively and
 
b.   the JTC 1 Ad Hoc on Re-engineering meetings on October 20-November 1,  
     1996, April 7-11, 1997 and June 16-20, 1997.  His reports of these
     meetings are contained in SC22 N2331, N2462 and N2510, respectively.

7.2  NATIONAL REPORTS

The following National activity reports were presented:

Austria        -  N2548          
Canada         -  N2555
Denmark        -  N2564
France         -  N2563
Finland        -  N2565
Germany        -  N2553
Japan          -  N2560
Netherlands    -  N2554
United Kingdom -  N2556
USA            -  N2559     

7.3  LIAISON REPORTS - EXTERNAL TO ISO/IEC JTC 1

7.3.1  CCE - Commission of the European Community

No report from CCE was received.

7.3.2  CIRF - International Institutions for Production Engineering  
              Research
     
No report from CIRF was received.

7.3.3  ECMA - European Computer Manufacturers Association

No report from ECMA was received.

7.3.4  EWICS - European Workshop on Industrial Computer Systems

No report from EWICS was received.

7.3.5  IFIP - International Federation for Information Processing

Professor Kakehi gave a verbal report on those IFIP activities dealing  
with SC22-related matters.

7.3.6   ITU - International Telecommunication Union

No report from ITU was received.

7.4  REPORT OF LIAISON OFFICER

7.4.1  Liaison Officer to SC2

Mr. Van Wingen was not in attendance but provided the report in document  
SC22 N2558.  The Secretariat was requested to obtain from Mr. Van Wingen
the last SC22 liaison report he prepared for submission to SC2.

7.4.2  Liaison Officer to SC7

Mr. Cote reported that the new SC7 liaison officer would be Mr. F.  
Coallier, incoming SC7 Chairman.

7.4.3  Liaison Officer to SC21

Mr. Korn was not in attendance and no report was received.

7.4.4  Liaison Officer to SC1

Lacking any volunteers to serve as Liaison Officer to SC1, Mr. Follett  
accepted responsibility on pending appointment of a permanent Liaison
Officer.

7.4.5  Liaison Officer to SC27

Lacking any volunteers to serve as Liaison Officer to SC27, Mr. Follett   
accepted responsibility pending appointment of a permanent Liaison
Officer.

8.   WORKING GROUP BUSINESS PLANS AND REPORTS

8.1  WG3 - APL

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Dr. Dickey, Convener  
of WG3, is contained in document SC22 N2566.  Dr. Dickey presented this
report.

8.2  WG4 - COBOL

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Ms. Wallace,
Convener of WG4, is contained in document SC22 N2549.  Ms. Wallace
presented this report.  

8.3  WG5 - FORTRAN

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Dr. Ellis, Convener  
of WG5, is contained in document SC22 N2533.  Dr. Ellis presented this
report. 

8.3.1  Request for Appointment of Project Editor for Revision of ISO/IEC  
       1539-1:1997 (Under Project JTC 1.22.02.01.01)

This request is contained in document SC22 N2533.  See Resolution 97-34.

8.3.2  Request to Extend Scope of Project JTC 1.22.02.02.

This request is contained in document SC22 N2533.  See Resolution 97-3.

8.3.3  Request for Approval of Concurrent CD Registration and CD Ballot  
       for Project JTC 1.22.02

This request is contained in document SC22 N2533.  See Resolution 97-20.

8.4  WG9 - Ada

The report of activity and business plan, prepared by Mr. Moore, Convener  
of WG9, is contained in document SC22 N2479.  Mr. Moore presented this
report.

8.4.1  Request for Approval of Concurrent CD Registration and FCD Ballot  
       for Project JTC 1.22.15291

This request is contained in document SC22 N2479.  See Resolution 97-21.

8.4.2  Request for Approval of Project Editors for Projects JTC 1.22.10.01  
       and JTC 1.22.31

This request is contained in document SC22 N2479.  See Resolution 97-34.

8.4.3  Public Availability of Technical Corrigenda for ISO/IEC 8652:1995

This request is contained in document SC22 N2528.  See Resolution 97-4.

8.4.4  Request to Add Postscript to List of Acceptable Distribution
       Formats 

This request is contained in document SC22 N2537.  There was no consensus  
to forward this request. 

8.5  WG11 - Binding Techniques

The business plan is contained in document SC22 N2540 and the activity  
report are contained in document SC22 N2538.  See Resolution 97-5.

8.5.1 Request for Approval of Project Editor for Projects JTC 1.22.28,  
      JTC 1.22.33 and JTC 1.22.34

This request is contained in document SC22 N2538.  See Resolution 97-34.

8.6  WG13 - Modula-2

The business plan and activity report are contained in document SC22  
N2482.  Dr. Schoenhacker, Convener of WG13, presented the report.

8.6.1 Request for Approval of Concurrent PDTR Registration and PDTR Ballot  
      for Project JTC 1.22.15436

The request was brought forward by Dr. Schoenhacker as a result of a WG13  
recommendation from the meeting held after the Convener's Report was
prepared.  However, a notification was given in the Convener's Report that
this request may be made.  See Resolution 97-22.

8.7  WG14 - C

The business plan and activity report are contained in document SC22  
N2485.  Mr. Benito, Convener of WG14, presented the report.

8.8  WG15 - POSIX

The business plan and activity report are contained in document SC22  
N2486.  Mr. Isaak, Convener of WG15, presented the report.

8.8.1  Request for Appointment of WG15 Project Editors

The request is contained in document SC22 N2486.  See Resolution 97-34.

8.8.2  Request for Withdrawal of Projects JTC 1.22.21.01.03.01 and      
       JTC 1.22.14515

The request is contained in document SC22 N2486.  See Resolutions 97-6 and  
97-8.

8.8.3  Approval of Revised WG15 Synchronization Plan

The request is contained in document SC22 N2486.  The revised  
Synchronization Plan is contained in document SC22 N2487.  See Resolution
97-10.

8.9  WG16 - Lisp

The business plan and activity report are contained in document SC22  
N2529.  Mr. Parquier, Convener of WG16, presented the report.

8.10 WG17 - Prolog

The business plan and activity report are contained in document SC22  
N2503.  Mr. Scowen, Convener of WG17, presented the report.

8.11 WG19 - Format Specification Languages

The business plan and activity report are contained in document SC22  
N2543.

8.12 WG20 - Internationalization

The business plan and activity report are contained in documents SC22  
N2492 and N2547.  Mr. Winkler, Convener of WG20, presented the report.

8.12.1  Request for Title Change of Project JTC 1.22.30.02.02

This request is contained in document SC22 N2492.  See Resolution 97-11.

8.12.2  Request for Appointment of Project Editor for Project           
        JTC 1.22.15435

This request is contained in document SC22 N2492.  See Resolution 97-34.

8.12.3  Request for Approval of Concurrent Registration and Approval  
        Ballots for Project JTC 1.22.15435

This request is contained in document SC22 N2492.  See Resolution 97-23.

8.13 WG21 - C++

The business plan and activity report are contained in document SC22  
N2483.  Mr. Plum, Convener of WG20, presented the report.

8.14 WG22 - PCTE

The business plan and activity report are contained in document SC22  
N2484.  

8.14.1  Request to Withdraw Project JTC 1.22.47.4

This request is contained in document SC22 N2484.  See Resolution 97-7.

8.14.2  Future of WG22

Discussion of this issue is contained in document SC22 N2484.  SC22 agreed  
that a firm date for dissolving WG22 should not be established at this
time based on the work still to be completed by WG22.  However, should
this work be completed well in advance of the 1998 SC22 Plenary, a letter
ballot will be issued on that subject.  See also Resolution 97-33.

8.15 SC22/JSG

The activity report is contained in document SC22 N2534.  Dr. Mathis,  
Convener of SC22/JSG presented the report.  See Resolutions 97-12, 97-13,
97-14, 97-15, 97-16 and 97-33.

9.   PROJECT EDITOR REPORTS

9.1  BASIC
     
No report of activity was received.  

9.1.1  Technical Corrigendum 1 to ISO/IEC 10279:1991 - Programming
       Language Basic - Reconsideration

After discussion with Mr. Kurtz, Project Editor for Basic Standards, on  
the status of the publication of this Technical Corrigendum, Mr. Rinehuls
provided document SC22 N2442 requesting reconsideration by SC22 of their
direction that the Technical Corrigendum be published.  The rationale for  
this reconsideration is also included in document SC22 N2442.    See
Resolution 97-9.

9.2  FIMS

No report of activity was received.

9.3  Pascal

The report of activity is contained in document SC22 N2501 prepared by  
Mr. Hetherington, Project Editor for Pascal Standards.

9.4  PL/I

The report of activity is contained in document SC22 N2488 prepared by  
Mr. Klensin, Project Editor for PL/I Standards.

10.  AD HOC MEETINGS

SC22 identified three topics requiring ad hoc group discussion:  
Justification for SC22 Standards Development Formats; SC22 Business Plan;
and Cultural Adaptability.

The Chairman of the Ad Hoc on Justification for SC22 Standards Development  
Formats, Mr. Benito, reported on the results of the work session of this
group.  The recommendations of this ad hoc are in document SC22 N2571.
See Resolution 97-27.

The Chairman of the Ad Hoc on SC22 Business Plan, Mr. Follett, reported  
on the results of the work session of this group.  The recommendations of
this ad hoc are in document SC22 2568.  See Resolution 97-24.

The Chairman of the Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Workshop on Cultural Adaptability,  
Mr. Jameson, reported on the results of the work session of this group.
The recommendations of this ad hoc are in document Ottawa-6 attached to
these minutes.  See Resolutions 97-17, 97-18, and 97-19.

11.  ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION

11.1 JTC 1 Ad Hoc on Implementing Information Technology

Mr. Follett advised that JTC 1 is beginning its transition to Web-based  
document distribution.  Paper and diskette distribution should be
discontinued by the end of this year except for those National Bodies who
cannot accept Web-based document distribution at that time.  Therefore,  
SC22 must move completely to web-based document availability, although
e-mail distribution can continue, as well.  Documents provided via the web
must be in one of the approved JTC 1 formats.  Where the approved formats
are not suitable for our standards development, a justification must be  
submitted to JTC 1 for an exception.

The JTC 1 policy on web-based document distribution applies only at the  
SC level and above.  However, WGs are encouraged to follow the same rules
but are not required to do so as long as the documents they submit to the
SC22 Secretariat do follow the rules.

In any case, the Document Classification Table (annex D to the policy  
document) is applicable at all levels.

11.1.1  JTC 1 Policy for Electronic Distribution Using the World Wide Web

The latest draft of the JTC 1 policy which is currently being balloted by  
JTC 1 was distributed in document SC22 N2512.  Mr. Follett also referred
the delegates to document SC22 N2514 which was distributed before the
latest draft of the JTC 1 policy was issued.  He noted that SCs are
invited to comment on this document by August 29, 1997.

Mr. Keld Simonsen is providing the official Web-server for SC22.

Mr. Simonsen and Mr. Rinehuls prepared a "Guide for Server Based  
Distribution of SC22 Documents (document SC22 N2569).  See Resolution
97-29.

11.1.2  Results of Questionnaire Regarding Server-Based Distribution  
        Within SC22

Mr. Rinehuls referred to delegates to document SC22 N2478.  He noted that:

a.   Bulgaria was included as a P-member on Page 2 of the report in  
error.  Bulgaria is still an O-member of SC22.

b.   Since the report was prepared, New Zealand has advised that they will  
accept e-mail and server based document distribution instead of not
requiring any SC22 documents.

c.   China has advised that they can now receive e-mail distribution;  
however, it is not clear whether this also include server based document
distribution and the Secretariat has inquired further in that regard.

He also advised that he is going to send out another letter to the SC22 O 
-Members, Heads of Delegation and Category A and C Liaisons who did not
respond to the original questionnaire that again requests information on
their ability to accept e-mail and server based distribution.  In the
absence of a response within the time period specified in the letter,  
they will be removed from the SC22 document distribution list.  He noted,
in this regard, that this action was discussed with the JTC 1 Secretariat
and no objection was raised.

11.1.3  Justification for SC22 Standards Development Document Formats

An Ad Hoc was established to deal with this issue and the results of the  
ad hoc meeting and SC22 policy implementation are contained in document
SC22 N2571.  See also Agenda Item 10 and Resolution 97-27.

11.2 JTC 1 Ad Hoc on Reengineering

Document SC22 N2510 contains the details of the JTC 1 re-engineering  
process which is almost completed.  Final action on this issue is expected
to be taken at the upcoming JTC 1 Plenary in September.

11.2.1 Status of JTC 1 "Special Actions" Recommendations

Document SC22 N2405 contains two "special actions" requests on SC22 from  
JTC 1.  These are:

a.   Work Program Review.  Mr. Follett prepared a draft response in  
document SC22 N2552.  This response was reviewed and revised by the
delegates and a final version was approved, as contained in document SC22
N2570 for submittal to JTC 1.  See Resolution 97-28.

b.   "Late Projects" Review.  Mr. Follett prepared a draft response in  
document SC22 N2418.  This response was reviewed.  See Resolution 97-25.

11.2.2  Procedures for Maintenance of Mature Standards

Document SC22 N2374 contains the maintenance procedure used by SC21 for  
mature standards.  Document SC22 N2509 contains a request from JTC 1 to
the JTC 1 SCs to provide contributions on this issue in advance of the
September JTC 1 Plenary.

The delegates agreed that a contribution should be made.  See Document  
SC22 N2567 and Resolution 97-26.

11.3 JTC 1/SWG-GII

Mr. Follett referred the delegates to document SC22 N2386 which was his  
response to the request from the SWG to identify standards and work items
within the SC22 program that are relevant to GII. He noted that the problem in developing that document arose from the inconsistent interpretation of
the terms in the GII document by the SC22 WGs, and he noted that the SC22  
program should be represented consistently since SC22 is important to the
GII.  It was also noted that document SC22 N2561 is the most recent
version of the GII Guidelines document.

11.4 ISO Copyright and Document Distribution Policies

Mr. Follett referred the delegates to document SC22 N2291 in which SC22  
strongly recommended to JTC 1 that project-related documents be openly
available.   JTC 1 agreed and made that request to ISO and IEC which
resulted in a favorable reply contained in document SC22 N2432.

He noted that the full ISO copyright policy is contained in document SC22  
N2434 as modified by document SC22 N2432.

11.5 NP Acceptance Criteria

Mr. Follett called the attention of the delegates to the new JTC 1 "NP  
Project Acceptance Criteria Form" contained in document SC22 N2415 that
must be completed and submitted with each NP.

11.6 Revised JTC 1 Directives - Modification of DIS Balloting Procedures

Document SC22 N2408 contains these revised procedures.

11.7 SC22 Business Plan

Mr. Follett developed a draft response (document SC22 N2551) and an Ad  
Hoc was established to develop a final response (document SC22 N2568.  See
Agenda Item 10 and Resolution 97-24.

11.8 Joint Workshop on Registration of Metadata

The Workshop was held on July 8-11, 1997 in Berkeley, California, USA. 

11.9 Request from SC29 for Liaison with SC22

Document SC22 N2458 contains this request; the request names Dr. Tom Casey  
as the SC29 liaison to SC22.   See Resolution 97-15.

11.10 Proposed JTC 1 Workshop on Cultural Adaptability

As reported by Mr. Follett in document SC22 N2510, the JTC 1 Ad Hoc on  
Reengineering has proposed that JTC 1 authorize this workshop.  The scope
of the workshop is contained in document SC22 N2508 which is currently
undergoing a 60-day JTC 1 letter ballot.  It was noted that this scope
includes a request for recommendation on placement of the Cultural  
Adaptability work within SC22/WG20 or SC2.

An Ad Hoc was established to deal with this issue.  See document Ottawa-6  
attached to these minute, Agenda Item 10, and Resolutions 97-17, 97-18,
and 97-19.

12.  SC22 ADMINISTRATIVE ISSUES

12.1 Review of Five Year Meeting Schedule

Future plenaries of SC22 are scheduled as follows:

     1998 -    Copenhagen, Denmark (confirmed) - August 24-28, 1998
     1999 -    Berlin, Germany (confirmed) - September 20-24, 1999
     2000 -    Japan (tentative)
     2001 -    Austria (tentative)
     2002 -    Finland (tentative)

12.2 Standards for Periodic Review

In each case, SC22 determines whether the standard should be confirmed,  
withdrawn or revised.

12.2.1 ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993 - POSIX, Part 2: Shell and Utilities

12.2.2 ISO/IEC TR 10182:1993 - Binding Techniques for Programming  
       Languages

See Resolution 97-31.

12.3 Retention of Projects Not Reaching CD Stage Within Three Years of NP  
Approval

The JTC 1 Directives require the SC to which these projects are assigned  
to consider, either by letter ballot or plenary vote, whether the project
shall be retained (giving specific justification) and advise the JTC 1
Secretariat of the results of this consideration.  The JTC 1 Directives  
also specify that "If the SC fails to act, then the project shall
automatically be canceled by the JTC 1 Secretariat".  (Section 6.4.1.5)

Document SC22 N2448 contains the list of applicable projects.  See  
Resolution 97-32.

12.4 Retention of Projects Not Reaching DIS Stage Within Four Years of  
Reaching CD

There are no applicable SC22 projects.

12.5 Working Group Conveners Appointments/Reappointments

12.5.1  WG3 (Dr. Dickey)

Document SC22 N2566, prepared by Dr. Dickey, indicates his willingness to  
continue as the Convener of WG3 for a new three-year term.  See Resolution
97-33.

12.5.2   WG4 (Ms. Wallace)

Document SC22 N2549, prepared by Ms. Wallace, indicates her willingness  
to continue as the Convener of WG4 for a new three-year term.  See
Resolution 97-33.

12.5.3   WG15 (Mr. Isaak)

Document SC22 N2486, prepared by Mr. Isaak, indicates his desire to  
relinquish the WG15 Convenership.  It also indicates that he can remain as
the Acting Convener through 1998 to allow WG15 to identify candidates for
this position.  See Resolutions 97-33 and 97-39.

12.5.4    WG17 (Mr. Scowen)

Document SC22 N2503, prepared by Mr. Scowen, indicates his willingness to  
continue as the Convener of WG17 for a new three-year term.  See
Resolution 97-33.

12.5.5    WG22 (Mr. Minot)

See Agenda Item 8.14.2 and Resolution 97-33.

13.  OTHER BUSINESS

There was no other business discussed.

14.  APPROVAL OF RESOLUTIONS AND STATEMENT OF RESULTS

Resolutions 97-l through 97-42 were adopted as indicated in document SC22  
N2574.

15.  ADJOURNMENT

There being no further business for discussion, the Tenth Plenary meeting  
of ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 was adjourned at 1700  hours, August 21, 1997.

Respectfully submitted

WILLIAM C. RINEHULS
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

Attachment
Ottawa-6

_______________________ end of minutes; beginning of attachment

  SC22 Ad Hoc on Cultural Adaptability
  
  Scott Jameson, USA, chair
  Gretchen Louise Bradfield, USA
  Ann Wallace  WG4
  Pierre Parquier, France, WG16
  Arnold Winkler, WG20
  Miles Ellis, WG5
  Martin Schoenhacker, WG13, Austria, Netherlands
  Katsuhiko Kakehi, Japan
  Shizuo Goto, Japan
  Alain La Bont‚, Canada
  Keld Simonson, Denmark
  Hannu Jaakkola, Finland

Purpose:
     Develop recommended SC22 positions for the Cultural Adaptability  
Workshop to be distributed to SC22 National Bodies for comment and
approval
  
1. SC22 sponsorship of workshop
   There was no proposal that SC22 offer to sponsor the Workshop.
  
SC22 doesn t want to sponsor, but would like to informally co-sponsor   
(add 2-3 additional people to the SC2 planning group)
  
SC22 endorses the need for the workshop and requests SC2 to add the  
following people from SC22 to the Workshop Planning Committee
   Miles Ellis, Convenor SC22/WG5
   Alain La Bont‚,Canadian delegate to SC22
   Pierre Parquier,French delegate to SC22
  
2. Key Items:
   Policy for Cultural Adaptability
  
ACTION: Scott Jameson (USA) and , Keld Simonsen (Denmark) will distribute  
pointers to RFC, and policy documents on Application Portability and
Interoperability.  Application portability is a primary concern for JTC1.
    
The Ad Hoc does feel that there is a need for a policy for Cultural  
Adaptability for all of JTC1?

     Need cooperation of member bodies to supply the parameters in order  
to meet Cultural Adaptability Requirements for their particular culture.
This includes, but is not limited to, character sets, sorting algorithms,
date, time and money formats, language used, etc. Many of these are in the
National Body's Standards Repertoire already.

     Cultural Adaptability, in some ways, seems the antithesis of  
standardization in that it allows non-uniformity in the presentation of
data.  But done correctly, it allows the same application to be used
across multiple cultures in a standard, and predictable way.

     All JCT1 standards need to be aware of and facilitate Cultural  
Adaptability

    What are the standards that we have in this area and what is missing?
        Work going on in WG20 is available on the Web
        SC22 needs to develop standards that facilitate insertion of  
        Cultural Adaptability into programming languages (WG20)
  
POLICY: 
     The Ad Hoc feels that the following points must be considered for a  
     Cultural Adaptability Policy:
        Promote use of JCT1 standards
        All JCT1 stds should support and encourage Cultural Adaptability  
        in a consistent manner National bodies need to supply their own
        culturally specific information
  
    Process to ensure Cultural Adaptability
    Include statement that NP and/or or business plan considers Cultural
    Adaptability

    Becomes automatic property of all JTC1 standards
  
  There is a need to look at existing standards. 
   What is there in the way of Cultural Adaptability Compliance?
   What needs to be added or changed?
   Implementation of Cultural Adaptability needs to be consistent with the  
   product
   Don't delay current work just to add Cultural Adaptability.
  
  Cultural Adaptability standards in our programming stds, older stds  
  disappear when revision appears. 
  What happens when Programming Language Std  binds  to another standard  
  that changes.  See new drafting policies(?)
  
  Market Requirements perhaps is the place to handle Cultural Adaptability  
  requirements.
  
  Each Working Group must evaluate the need for Cultural Adaptability
   
  Different languages may need different levels of conformance 
    Need to take into account the market and niche of the language. 
    Votes at CD and DIS levels may disagree

   PROCESS:
   The Ad Hoc believes that the following should be added to the process  
   in order to implement Cultural Adaptability:

   Identify extent of support needed for each product 

        New work items should have needs noted in the NP business  
        relevance section.
        Related Work is a good place to document consistency with WG20  
        standards
        For Subdivided items, the scope doesn t change, but number of  
        projects does.  The assumption is that the various parts would
        have same requirements as the original
        May also be appropriate to note in Business Plan for single  
        project Working Groups,
   SCs needs to add Cultural Adaptability compliance review for 5-year  
   Reviews, etc.
  
   Definition of Cultural Adaptability  (N2561 pg. 5and N4627)
       It is felt that the current JTC1 definition is too restrictive 
       being limited to just the characteristics of languages.  The Ad Hoc
       feels that we should add the words and cultures so that it reads:

        Characteristics of languages and cultures and the rules of their  
        use
  
   Organizational issues
     As soon as Cultural Adaptability becomes an automatic property of  
     prog languages, etc., will there be a need to maintain WG20?.  
        What about hyphenation, spell checking, etc.?
        Ad Hoc could not agree that there was more work identifiable at  
        this time. 
   
     Location of WG20 (SC22 or ?) 
        There are three possibilities

          JTC1 would assign Cultural Adaptability to one SC (Most likely  
          SC2, SC18 or SC22)
          Since Cultural Adaptability has a high impact on Programming  
          Languages, it make sense to keep it in SC22.  Other SCs could
          liaison with WG20.
        
          JTC1 would create a horizontal SC on Cultural Adaptability
          Experience has shown that these don t work very well.
        
          Each SC could create its own WG on Cultural Adaptability
          This option could lead to duplication of work and perhaps  
          conflicting answers.
  
   ORGANIZATION
        Requirements to consider for decision
          We agree that we need a high level of cooperation, 
          Different SCs have different requirements
          Need single repository for cultural information
  
   Do we have a SC22 delegate at workshop ?
     Ann Wallace, Arnold Winkler, Miles Ellis would, pending approval.
  
  3.Timeline
   15 Sep 1997      Deadline for draft position statements to be posted  
                    on reflector Coordinators for drafting position papers
                    are:
        Policy      Arnold Winkler,
        Process     Ann Wallace
        Definition  Scott Jameson
        Organization  Gretchen Louise Bradfield
   15 Oct 1997      Beginning of SC22 30-day letter ballot
   15 Nov 1997      Close of Ballot
  
  Glossary:
   HOST        Provide location for workshop
   SPONSOR     Provide contents for workshop

______________________ end of SC22 N2573 ____________________________