Subject: SC22 N2569 - Guide for Server Based SC22 Distribution

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 16:39:47 -0400 (EDT)

___________________ beginning of title page __________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2569

TITLE:
Guide for Server Based Distribution of SC22 Documents

DATE ASSIGNED:
1997-08-26

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

BACKWARD POINTER:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Standing Document

PROJECT NUMBER:
N/A

STATUS:
This is a new SC22 Standing Document

ACTION IDENTIFIER:
FYI

DUE DATE:
N/A

DISTRIBUTION:
Text

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2573, N2574 (Res. 97-29)

DISTRIBUTION FORM:
Open

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2793
email:  [email-masked]

__________________ end of title page; beginning of guide _____________

                                             ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 N2569
                                                          1997-08-22

Title: Guide for server based distribution of SC 22 documents

Source: Keld Simonsen, Bill Rinehuls

1. Introduction

1.1 ISO/IEC JTC 1 has approved a policy for electronic document  
distribution using the world wide web, JTC 1 N4761. This policy applies to
JTC 1 and its subcommittees. JTC 1 has also approved a timeline for
implementing this policy in JTC 1 N4796, with a target date for doing web
server distribution due 1997-09-01. The SC22 secretariat will thus begin  
distribution of documents not later than 1997-09-01.

1.2 JTC 1 gives further guidelines for submission of documents in JTC 1  
N4763 and N4795.  This document provides additional guidelines within
SC22. The current policies and tips of JTC1 are available at
http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/impit/ . 

1.3 For those who have no access to the web server, the SC22 Secretariat  
will continue to send paper copies.

1.4 All email referrred to is plain text (in ISO/IEC 8859-1), not in other  
formats.

2. Document flow

2.1 A document to be distributed as an SC22 document shall be sent a)  by
e-mail as a plain text message to the SC22 Secretariat, or by b) uploading
to the server at dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/incoming (e.g. by ftp) with an email
notice of the location to the SC22 secretariat, who then assigns a
document number and prepares a cover page. 

2.2 A paper copy of documents which are server based must also be provided  
to the SC22 Secretariat (this is not necessary for e-mail documents, see
2.1 a). For server based documents requiring SC22 action (e.g. CDs, FCDs,
NPs, etc) no action will be taken by the SC22 Secretariat to initiate that
action until the paper copy of the document is received by the SC22
Secretariat.

2.3 In the case of e-mail documents, the SC22 Secretariat e-mails the  
document to the [email-masked] email reflector. In the case of server
based documents the SC22 Secretariat uploads the document to the SC22 web
server at http://www.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/ and sends a notification of
availability of the documents by e-mail to the SC22 documents recipients.  
The SC22 Secretariat maintains the notification e-mail address list that
replicates the SC22 document distribution list according to the JTC 1
directives.  

3. Considerations for electronic submissions

3.1  The accepted file formats are HTML 3.2, plain text, Microsoft Word  
2.0 to 7.0, WordPerfect 5.1 to 7.0, gif, jpeg and PDF, as explained in the
above mentioned JTC 1 documents. See the JTC 1 documents for guidelines
for versions to use and tips for avoiding problems.

3.2  A document shall be self-contained. This is not a major problem with  
formats such as Word, Word Perfect, and plain text. For HTML and PDF there
are some considerations to be made. It is recommended that all files of a
document, including gif, jpg or other graphical files, and documents
referenced, be contained in the same directory. The document shall not  
require separate download of fonts.

3.3  A document may only have links pointing to other documents included  
in its directory, or to the document store of the SC, other SCs or TCs,
member bodies, or approved liaisons and cooperation partners (e.g.
CEN/TC304). Parts that are integral parts of the document need to
be provided in full in the document directory. Glyphs should be available
as one file per glyph.  Graphical images such as gif and jpg files for
logos and character glyphs may be referenced to. A bibliography clause may
contain links to other documents, related to SC22 work. A document may
have "mailto" and/or URL references to the author of the document.
 
3.4  The use of colours indicating semantics should be avoided in a  
document, as it does not transfer well to currently widely available
printer technology, which is black and white only.

3.5  Files may be encoded with zip compression (also for multiple files)  
and using MIME or uuencode encoding. 

4. SC document store

4.1  The SC will maintain a document store with all electronic documents  
of the SC stored in directories with directory names being the number of
the document, preceded by a small letter "n", and document file names
being the document number preceded by a small "n" and an extension
according to the web distribution policies in JTC 1 N4761. The absolute  
path to the documents are /jtc1/sc22/open/ or /jtc1/sc22/def/ for open and
defined access (for example ballot results) documents respectively. This
is made available for reference by other documents from SC22 and other
groups. The document naming structure should be so that it can apply both  
to an online web scenario, and for documents downloaded to individual
workstations without external internet connection.

4.2  According to the JTC 1 policies in N4761, some documents shall not be  
open access.  The SC22 Secretariat will distribute a security password to
the SC22 notification e-mail distribution list.

_______________________ end of SC22 N2569 ___________________________