Subject: SC22 N2567 - SC22 Response to New Standards Maintenance Procedures

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 12:53:34 -0400 (EDT)

________________ beginning of title page ______________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2567

August 1997

TITLE:
SC22 Response to ISO/IEC JTC 1 on Proposed New Procedures for Maintenance
of Mature Standards

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
This response has been forwarded to ISO/IEC JTC 1.

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2573, N2574 (Res. 97-26)

DOCUMENT TYPE:
N/A

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies, WG Conveners and HODs for information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone: +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-9273
email:  [email-masked]

_________________ end of title page; beginning of text ________________

SC22 Comments on Proposed New Procedure for 
Maintenance of Mature Standards

SC22 has considered the new procedure for maintenance of mature standards
proposed by SC21 in document JTC1 N4353. 

SC22 notes that this is not a new problem and that SC22 has several
standards originally developed within SC22 working groups that are no
longer active. 

SC22 believes that the proposed procedure is overly complex for its needs
and entails far more overhead than is required or even possible to be
provided for maintenance of mature standards in SC22.  In contrast to the
proposed procedure, SC22 has handled the problem very satisfactorily by
appointing a project editor to process any required maintenance and make
any appropriate recommendations to SC22. 

Accordingly, SC22 recommends to JTC1 that subcommittees retain the
flexibility to handle maintenance of mature standards in whatever manner
is most effective as long as the requirements of the JTC1 Directives are
met.  Specifically, SC22 recommends that the proposed procedure not be
required but be, at most, an optional procedure for use where appropriate. 

_____________________ end of SC22 N2567 ___________________________