Subject: SC22 N2563 - France National Activity Report for Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 12:25:57 -0400 (EDT)

___________________ beginning of title page _______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2563

August 1997

TITLE:
France National Activity Report for the August 1997 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
France National Activity Report

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________________ end of title page; beginning of report _______

SC22/N2563

AFNOR Activity Report to the 10th Plenary of SC22 
-------------------------------------------------

ORGANISATION

AFNOR/CGTI/CN22 is the French mirror of JTC1/SC22. It gives AFNOR's
positions and casts the votes to the SC22, deals with the European
parallel activities through the CEN/BTS7, and hosts within different
working groups (CN22/GEx) the experts who work at national and/or
international level.

All CN22 groups now accept and welcome electronic distribution of
documents.

Current mirroring of JTC1/SC22 is as follows: 

SC22      CN22      .       Mr Parquier (ILOG) 
SC22/JSG  CN22/JAVA JAVA    Mr Parquier (ILOG)
SC22/WG5  CN22/GE5  FORTRAN Mr Lignelet (CNAM)
SC22/WG9  CN22/GE9  ADA     Mr Rosen (ADALOG)
SC22/WG15 CN22/GE15 POSIX   Mr Cornu (Consultant)
SC22/WG16 CN22/GE16 LISP    Mr Parquier (ILOG)
SC22/WG20 CN22/GE20 I18N    Mr Belhadj (BULL)
SC22/WG21 CN22/GE21 C++     Mr Lextrait (ILOG)

Non mirrored groups are addressed by CN22, except SC22/WG22 which is
addressed by CN7/GE4. Below is a summary of activity during the passed
year, ordered by WG.

SC22/JSG

Just after last SC22 plenary, the French mirror of JSG (CN22/JAVA) was
created and managed to gather a broad variety of contributors. After
the SMI proposed to become a PAS submiter the audience inflated to 70
members, including major IT suppliers. The group elaborated most of
the French vote on SMI proposal.

SC22/WG3

CN22/GE3 was disbanded. French experts are willing to contribute
whenever SC22/WG3 resumes new work (e.g. J standardization or APL
revision).

SC22/WG4

No mirror group, CN22/GE4 COBOL remains disbanded, due to lack of
interest from industry.

SC22/WG5

CN22/GE5 FORTRAN met once, works by email. GE5 sent no delegate to WG5
meetings. Contributed to object-orientated Fortran, and to Fortran-C
binding. Translation works are halted, including 1539-2.

SC22/WG9

CN22/GE9 ADA is active. 

SC22/WG15

CN22/GE15 POSIX met every other month. Two are IEEE project editors.

SC22/WG14

AFNOR has no mirror for WG14. 

SC22/WG16

AFNOR provides convernorship and secretariate of SC22/WG16. 

SC22/WG17

CN22/GE17 was disbanded.  Experts might want to resume activity when
"13211-1 Prolog General Core" is revisited.

SC22/WG19

There is a growing interest in standardazing B. This may result in the
creation of an FSL group at AFNOR later this year.

SC22/WG20

No CN22/GE20 INTERNATIONALISATION delegates to WG20 meetings. Liaison
with CN1 (mirror of SC1) on terminology. There is currently a French
attempt to host JTC1's Workshop of Cultural Adaptability.

SC22/WG21

CN22/GE21 C++ has a new chairman, Vincent Lextrait who incidentaly
will host a WG21 meeting in 1998. The group and AFNOR thanks Nasser
Kettani for supporting the group over the last two years.

SC/WG22

CN22 has no mirror group for SC22/WG22, despite Mr. Minot's
convenorship.  For votes related to SC22/WG22, CN22 often relies on
advice of CN7/GE4 (French mirror for SC7/WG4, CASE tools, secretary:
Thierre Bergier, chairwoman: Elisabeth Walti).

________________ end of SC22 N2563 ________________________