Subject: SC22 N2560 - Japan National Activity Report for Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 12:21:59 -0400 (EDT)

_____________ beginning of title page _______________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2560

August 1997

TITLE:
Japan National Activity Report for the August 1997 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Japan National Activity Report

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Telephone:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

___________________ end of title page; beginning of report _________

Japan's National Activity Report
to the Plenary Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22
Ottawa, August 18-22, 1997

This report is a summary of activities in Japan in the area of SC 22 since 
September 1996. 
Major activities and status are as follows:

1. National Activities for International Standardization

Subcommittee 22 of Information Technology Standards Commission of Japan 
(ITSCJ) of the Information Processing Society of Japan is working as a 
Japanese National Committee 
for ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22. 
There are ten working groups (COBOL WG, Fortran WG, Ada WG, C WG, Lisp WG, 
Prolog WG, POSIX WG, C++ WG, Internationalization WG and Language 
Independent Issues WG) under this committee to cope with activities of 
JTC1/SC22. VDM/SL and Z are covered by another group (Formal Description 
Technique Sub Working Group) in ITSCJ with close liaison with our SC22.

WG4 - COBOL
Japan COBOL WG is participating very actively both of SC22/WG4 meetings 
and ANSI/X3J4 (NCISTS J4) meetings. Japan is strongly interested in 
facilities of MOCS and Object Orientation of the next COBOL Standard.

WG5 - Fortran
Fortran WG in ITSCJ has continued its active participation with SC22/WG5. 
Fortran WG has reviewed Committee Draft (draft Fortran 95) and suggested 
several improvements and corrections. Fortran WG is participating the 
subgroups which provide final recommendations to Fortran 2000.
Translation of ISO/IEC 1539-2:1994 into Japanese has completed. 
Translation of ISO/IEC 1539-1:1997 into Japanese is under way.

WG9 - Ada
Translation of ISO/IEC 8652:1995 into Japanese was completed by members 
of SIG Ada-Japan.  Based on this document, we are planning to make a JIS 
standard of Ada.

WG11 - Binding
Language Independent Issues WG in ITSCJ is the corresponding WG for 
SC22/WG11. Japanese delegate is participating SC22/WG11 meetings actively.

WG14 - C
SC22/WG14 and ANSI/X3J11 are now debating mainly on revising the ISO/IEC 
9899:1990 via e-mail. C WG in ITSCJ is registered in this e-mail alias and 
joining in the discussion.

WG15 - POSIX
POSIX WG in ITSCJ is attending WG15 meetings. The NP proposal for developing 
the Guideline for National Profiles and Locales as a TR was originally 
proposed by Japan and Japan was requested to lead this development. In 
order to handle this request, Japan has created Profiles Sub WG under POSIX 
WG. It was decided that this activity will be done in cooperation with IEEE 
PASC, and PAR for PASC SEC was sent to IEEE.

WG16 - Lisp
Lisp WG in ITSCJ has actively worked with SC22/WG16 toward the refinement 
of ISLisp, which has been developed on the basis of KL (Kernel Language) 
designed by Japan's Lisp WG. ISLisp has become an international standard 
specification of the Lisp language, of which translation is now under way 
to define a JIS standard.

WG17 - Prolog
Prolog WG in ITSCJ has been working on two SC22 work items: Prolog Part 1 
- General Core and Part 2 - Modules and sending delegations to most of 
SC22/WG17 meetings. In the period since last September, Prolog WG had 
domestic meetings, and sent a delegate to SC22/WG17 Schliersee meeting.

WG19 - Formal Specification Languages
Formal Description Technique Sub Working Group (FDT-SWG) in ITSCJ is the 
corresponding WG for SC22/WG19. This SWG is actively reviewing not only 
VDM-SL but also Z.

WG20 - Internationalization
Internationalization WG is the corresponding group for SC22/WG20 in Japan. 
The working group meeting is held once a month regularly and ad-hoc meeting 
when necessary inviting other related specialists such as each program 
language groups or even outside of the SC22's scope.
As for the international activity there are three project editors from 
Japan for SC22/WG20, and Japanese delegate is participating SC22/WG20 
meetings very actively.

WG21 - C++
Major effort continued to focus on stabilization of the language and the 
library. C++ WG in ITSCJ has contributed to the effort primarily in areas 
of particular interests such as extended characters, strings, locales and 
I/O streams by creating and reviewing proposals. 
The second and final CD was put for ballot in December of 1996, and we are 
now in the process of reviewing the result of ballot for the next stage. 
We are hoping to have a DIS ballot to be successfully conducted by early 
1998.

WG22 - PCTE
 There is no corresponding WG in Japan for SC22/WG22. This year, activity 
on PCTE standards in Japan was low and we just responded to the couples of 
voting on PCTE related ballots.

2. Development of National Standards

The Japanese national standard is known as Japanese Industrial Standard 
(JIS).
The current status of JISs in the area of SC 22 is as follows:

1) Established JISs

- Fortran      (JIS X 3001 - 1994)  = ISO/IEC 1539:1991
- COBOL        (JIS X 3002 - 1992)  = ISO/IEC 1989:1985 + AMD 1
- Full BASIC   (JIS X 3003 - 1993)  = ISO/IEC 10279: 1991
- Pascal       (JIS X 3008 - 1994)  = ISO/IEC 7185:1990
- Ada          (JIS X 3009 - 1991)  = ISO/IEC 8652:1987
- C            (JIS X 3010 - 1993)  = ISO/IEC 9899:1990
- MUMPS        (JIS X 3011 - 1995)  = ISO/IEC 11756:1990
- POSIX Part 1 (JIS X 3030 - 1994)  = ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990

2) JISs to be established in FY 1997

- POSIX Part 2           = ISO/IEC 9945-2:1993
- Fortran Part 1         = ISO/IEC 1539-1:1996
- revision of Ada        = ISO/IEC 8652:1994

3) Draft JISs being prepared in FY 1997

- revision of C for inclusion of AMD 1 = ISO/IEC 9899/AMD 1:1995
- Prolog Part 1: General Core          = ISO/IEC 13211-1:1995
- ISLisp                               = ISO/IEC 13816:1997

___________________ end of SC22 N2560 ________________________________