Subject: SC22 N2556 - UK National Body Report - PLENARY ITEM

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 16:37:56 -0400 (EDT)

___________________ beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2556

August 1997

TITLE:
United Kingdom National Activity Report for the August 1997 JTC 1/SC22
Plenary

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
This Report will be considered under Agenda Item 7.2 at the August 1997
SC22 Plenary

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
United Kingdom National Activity Report

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________________ end of title page; beginning of report ____________

UK National Body activity report, September 1996 - August 1997 

The UK equivalent of SC22 is BSI IST/5 Programming Languages.  As most of  
you are aware Brian Meek, Chairman of IST/5 passed away at the beginning
of July.  For over thirty years, Brian devoted great efforts towards
International standardisation, as an editor, as a chairman, as an author
of books, reports and standards, and as a tireless campaigner for
the virtues of standardisation.  His belief in standardisation included
the standardisation of the process itself.
After working on the standards for FORTRAN and ALGOL, he became a leading
proponent of the Language Independent standards.

The impact of his passing on the UK and International Standards arena has  
yet to be fully appreciated.

Technical work

Almost all of the technical work of IST/5 is in relation to SC22 projects,  and
it maintains technical panels which co-ordinate the UK contribution to the  
SC22 WGs in which the UK is active.  These panels advise IST/5 on  matters
such as letter ballots. The UK provides the secretariat and convenor for
WG5 FORTRAN, WG17 Prolog and  WG19 Formal Specification Languages, in the
case of WG19 maintaining  technical panels for both VDM-SL and for Z. 

We are also active in, and maintain panels for, WG4 COBOL, WG9 Ada, WG11
Bindings, WG 13 Modula-2, WG14 C, WG15 POSIX, WG16 Lisp, WG21 C++ , WG22  
PCTE and the Java Study Group.   We are  not currently active in, and do
not have a panel for  WG3 APL.  Our participation in WG 20
Internationalisation is currently under review.

The UK has played host to a number of International meetings in the past  
year, including the SC 22 Plenary meeting 1996, SC 22/WG 9 Ada,  SC 22/WG
14 C, SC 22/WG 15 POSIX, SC 22/WG 21 C++  and the JAVA Study group.

Syntactic metalanguage

ISO/IEC 14977 : Extended BNF has been published, and BS 6154 will be
withdrawn shortly in its favour.  

______________________ end of SC22 N2556 _______________________________