Subject: SC22 N2555 - Canadian National Activity Report - FOR PLENARY

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 16:28:50 -0400 (EDT)

_______________________ beginning of title page ______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat: U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2555

August 1997

TITLE:
Canada National Activity Report for the August 1997 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
This Report will be considered under Agenda Item 7.2 at the August 1997
SC22 Plenary

CORSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Canada National Activity Report

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

__________________ end of title page; beginning of report _______________

                       CANADIAN STANDARDS ASSOCIATION
                     COMMITTEE ON PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES
                                CAC/JTC1/SC22

                          NATIONAL ACTIVITY REPORT
        ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 MEETING, OTTAWA, CANADA: 18-22 AUGUST 1996

The CSA/CPL currently has 11 members, and continues to meet quarterly,
with typically 4-6 attendees at each meeting.  Technical advice is
provided to CPL by 5 Working Groups (APL, POSIX, Lisp,
Internationalization, C++) and 6 Interest Groups (COBOL, Fortran, Ada,
Modula-2, Prolog, Formal Specification Languages), which have additional
members.  All working/interest group chairmen are members of CPL.  We
also have experts active in C and PCTE, and have recently formed a Java
WG, whose members have been active in the SC22 Java Study Group.

Members of CPL and its working/interest groups have continued their
participation in the SC22 Working Groups for most of the areas listed
above.  Canada provides the convener for SC22/WG2 (APL), Leroy Dickey,
and has hosted, or will be hosting, the meetings of a number of SC22
WGs:

-  WG14 in Toronto, October 1996,
-  WG20 in Quebec City, May 1997,
-  WG3 in Toronto, August 1997,
-  WG15 in Cornwall, October 1997.

However, the membership of working/interest groups has continued to
steadily decline, and the total number of experts involved in CPL
activities is now less than 50.  The decline in the level of
participation is mainly due to the decreasing availability of resources,
and this is most noticeable in some of our groups that were formerly
quite strong (e.g. Fortran, POSIX).

Of course, the major activity for CPL in the past year has been our
preparations for hosting the 1997 SC22 Plenary meeting.  Our thanks go
to our sponsors (Cognos Inc, Digital Equipment of Canada Ltd, IBM Canada
Ltd, Maurya Software Inc, Nortel Technology, Odyssey Research
Associates, Oracle Corp. Canada Inc, Xerox Canada Ltd.), and to the
Government Conference Centre for providing the meeting location.
Without this generous support, we would have been unable to host the
SC22 Plenary.  Finally, my special thanks must go to Doug Langlotz of
the Standards Council of Canada, for his knowledge and expertise, and
Steve Michell of Maurya Software Inc, for his energy and enthusiasm.
They have made major contributions in laying the foundations for what
we hope will be a successful and enjoyable Plenary.

Graham Warren
Chairman, CSA/CPL

____________________  end of SC22 N2555 _____________________________