Subject: SC22 N2547 - Correction to WG20 Convener's Report - PLENARY ITEM

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 1997 12:56:06 -0400 (EDT)

_______________ beginning of title page _______________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2547

August 1997

TITLE:
Correction to the WG20 Convener's Report for the August 1997 JTC 1/SC22
Plenary

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
Please note that this correction will be added to Agenda Item 8.12 for the
August 1997 SC22 Plenary

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2492

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Correction to Convener's Report

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies for review.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

__________________ end of title page; beginning of report ____________

(Note:  This is a replacement for Paragraph 1.2 of the WG20 Convener's
Report previously issued as document SC22 N2492.)

1.2	PROJECTS UNDERWAY

Project number
Description
Editors

22.13
Second edition of TR 10176: "Guidelines for the preparation of
programming language standards"
Akio Kido and Makoto Noda

We are not aware of any similar work anywhere else.  But new programming
languages, such as Java, do state their requirements for character set
and internationalization support in their specifications.

22.30.01 (completed)
TR 11017: "Framework for internationalization"
T.K. Sato

22.30.02.01 (umbrella project - no standard associated)
Functionality of the internationalization of applications
Keld Simonsen

22.30.02.02
ISO/IEC 14651: International string ordering
Alain LaBonté

There are multiple projects under way that deal with aspects of
ordering:  

a) TC37 has developed IS 12199 which is currently in DIS ballot.  We do
not see that project as a competition, it was approved to specifically
addresses the legitimate needs of terminologists and
related professions and is more like an application than a generic
sorting standard.  

b) TC46 owns ISO 999 part 9 .  Again, the focus of this standard differs
from the scope of ISO 14651 which allows ordering of multilingual data,
coded in ISO 10646, with a default sequence and culturally correct
ordering for specified markets.  

c) CEN/TC304/WG1's Project 9 is an developing an ordering standard for
the European languages.  WG20 has established very close cooperation
with this group, the experts in both camps work together on the methods
and the tables.

22.30.02.03
ISO/IEC 14652: Specification of Cultural Conventions
Keld Simonsen

CEN TC304's ENV 12005 is quite similar to CD 14652, but also contains
registration of specifications.  It is limited to European conventions.
The experts for both standards are working together closely to avoid
duplicate standards with differing contents.

22.15435
ISO/IEC 15435: Internationalization API
Keld Simonsen

We are not aware of any other standardization work in this area.

_______________________ end of SC22 N2547 ____________________________