Subject: SC22 N2540 - WG11 Business Plan for August Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 13:05:04 -0400 (EDT)

________________ beginning of title page _______________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2540

August 1997

SUBJECT:
WG11 Business Plan for the August 1997 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
Please note that this Business Plan will be considered under Agenda Item
8.5 at the August 1997 SC22 Plenary.

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Business Plan

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies for review.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

________________ end of title page; beginning of report __________________

BUSINESS PLAN FOR JTC 1/SC22 WG11

PERIOD COVERED: September 1996	-  July 1997

SUBMITTED BY:

W. F. Wakker (Convener JTC 1/SC22 WG11)
ACE Consulting bv
Van Eeghenstraat 100
1071 GL, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Email: [email-masked]

1.  MANAGEMENT SUMMARY:

1.1  JTC 1/SC22 WG11 STATEMENT OF SCOPE

Development of ISO/IEC Standards and Technical Reports related to Binding
Techniques and (Programming) Language Independent Issues.

1.2  PROJECT REPORT

1.2.1  COMPLETED PROJECTS
JTC1.22.14 -- TR 10182:1994: Language Bindings Guidelines

JTC1.22.16 -- ISO/IEC 13886:1996 - Language Independent Procedure Calling

JTC1.22.17 -- ISO/IEC 11404:1996 - Language Independent Datatypes

JTC1.22.28 -- ISO/IEC 10967-1:1994 - Language Independent Arithmetic, Part
1: Integer and Floating Point Arithmetic

1.2.2  PROJECTS UNDERWAY
JTC1.22.33 -- (F)CD 10967-2 - Language Independent Arithmetic, Part 2:
Elementary Numerical Functions
The FCD was ballotted (closing date: June 1997; a meeting has to be called
to discuss the ballot comments.
No project editor is available.

JTC1.22.33 --  WD 10967-3 - Language Independent Arithmetic, Part 3:
Complex Floating Point Arithmetic and Complex Elementary Numerical
Functions
The work on this part of IS 10967 will follow (in time) the work on part 2,
No project editor is available.

JTC1.22.46 -- WDTR 14369 - Guidelines for the Preparation of Language
Independent Service Specifications
Although a lot of work has been done on this document (see Review and
Comment version SC22 N2470) its future remains unclear.
No project editor is available.

1.3  COOPERATION AND COMPETITION

The WG11 documents are mainly produced to be used by other programming
language committees.  Therefore, WG11 maintains liaisons with many of the
SC22 WGs.

2.  PERIOD REVIEW

2.1  MARKET REQUIREMENTS

There are no clearly defined market requirements for the WG11 projects;
however several ISO/IEC standards make reference to the documents.  There
is thus apparently an indirect market requirement.

2.2  ACHIEVEMENTS

Despite the sometimes small participation in WG11, a number of high quality
ISO standards have been produced.

2.3  RESOURCES

WG11 resources have been a problem for the past years, and are even more a
problem now.  Attendance is very low, and no project editors are available.

3.  FOCUS NEXT WORK PERIOD

3.1  DELIVERABLES

Two projects (LIA-2 and LISS) should progress to their next stages; the
progression will be discussed at a WG11 meeting in the last quarter of
1997.

3.2  STRATEGIES

3.2.1  RISKS
Participation and lack of editors is a clear risk for the progression of
the WG11 work.

The SC22 Member Bodies are invited to provide resources so that WG11 at
least can finalize its current work items.

3.2.2  OPPORTUNITIES
No further opportunities have been identified.

3.2.3  WORK PROGRAM PRIORITIES
The finalization of LIA-2 has the highest priority.

_________________-- end of SC22 N2540 _______________________________