Subject: SC22 N2535 - WG14 Minutes of June 23-27, 1997 Meeting CORRECTED

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 15:27:47 -0400 (EDT)

Note:  The WG14 minutes were sent out yesterday as document SC22 N2536 -
the same number assigned to the WG14 agenda for its October meeting.  The
WG14 minutes should have been document SC22 N2535.  This corrects that
error.  Nothing is changed in the document except the document number.
Please discard the SC22 N2536 document which contained the WG14 Minutes.

My apologies for any inconvenience this error has caused.

Bill Rinehuls
SC22 Secretariat

________________ beginning of title page ____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2535

August 1997

TITLE:
Minutes of SC22/WG14 (C) Meeting on June 23-27, 1997 in London, United
Kingdom

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

n
WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
WG14 Meeting Minutes

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

________________  end of title page; beginning of minutes _____________

                Minutes ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG14 and ANSI J11
                             23-27 June 1997
                             London, England

1.  	Opening Activities

1.1.  	Opening Comments
	
	Benito and Jaeschke welcomed all WG14 and J11 participants.

1.2. 	Introduction of Participants

	All participants introduced themselves:

	John Benito, Perennial 			J11, WG14 Convener
	Frank Farance, Farance Inc.		U.S., J11, Document Editor
	Clive Feather, Demon Internet		UK Head of Delegation
	Francis Glassborow, The Association	UK 
		of C & C++ Users
	Roger Golliver, Intel			J11	
	Erin Harris, IBM Corp.			Canada Head of Delegation
	Mark Hoerth, Hewlett-Packard		J11, Acting Secretary
	Rex Jaeschke, Self			U.S., J11 Chair
	Derek Jones, Knowledge Software		UK
	Larry Jones, SDRC			J11
	David Keaton, Keaton Consulting		U.S., J11, 
						FTP site administrator
	Jan Kristoffersen, DS			Denmark	
	Neil Martin, Plum Hall Europe		UK, Host
	Randy Meyers, Digital Equipment		J11
	Tom Plum, Plum Hall			U.S., J11
	Peter Seebach, Self			J11
	Bill Seymour, Self			J11
	Jim Thomas, Hewlett-Packard		J11
	Fred Tydeman, Tydeman Consulting	J11 
	Douglas Walls, Sun Microsystems		J11 International Rep., 
						U.S. Head of Delegation
	
1.3.	Selection of Meeting Chair

	Jaeschke was appointed meeting chair.

1.4.	Host Facilities and Local Information

	Martin has arranged for a workstation, laser printer and copy services
	for participants. 

1.5.	Procedures for This Meeting

	As usual, the meeting was conducted as a group of technical experts
	working toward consensus with straw votes used to determine sentiment.
	Formal J11 votes were used to establish a U.S. position (other 
	delegations could caucus at the same time) and formal WG14 votes were 
	used to determine whether consensus had been reached.

	Straw votes (indicated by SV in the margin) are generally recorded in 
	these minutes as For/Opposed/Abstain.  Where there are two successive 
	votes without other explanation, the first is of all persons present, 
	the second of national bodies present.  Formal motions (indicated by 
	FM) are made within J11 and indicate the mover and second.  Formal 
	motions which pass are also proposed resolutions in WG14; resolutions 
	which are not prompted by formal motions (indicated by R) may also 
	appear.  Formal J11 votes (indicated by FV) are recorded as For/
	Opposed/Abstain/Absent/Total, WG14 consensus votes (indicated by CV) 
	are recorded as For/Opposed/Abstain.  Items which were accepted without
	objection are recorded as being by acclamation (indicated by A).

	Since there is no permanent secretary, Jaeske appointed Hoerth as 
	Acting Secretary for this meeting.

1.6.	Approval of Previous Minutes [N670]

	Page 5, Item 2.2:  Change the last sentence which reads, "SC22 has 
	decided ..." to "ISO has decided ...".

	Page 10, Item 8: In the formal motion, change "FP_CONTRACT_OFF" to
	"FP_CONTRACT OFF". 

A	The minutes as recorded in N670 with the above corrections were
	approved by acclamation.

1.7.	Review of Action Items

	Action items appearing in these minutes are indicated by *** in the
	margin.

***	Benito, Degener, Keaton, Seymour, and Walls are the editorial review
	board to assist in more cleanly incorporating the MSE Item formatted
	I/O functions. -- pending 

	Feather to produce words for DR167 and supply to Mooney; Degener to
	support. -- done

	Farance will work with Tydeman and Thomas on LIA binding. -- dropped 

	Jaeschke will collect comments about user callbacks in printf from 
	Degener and Meyers and will supply to Benito for rationale.  
	-- dropped

	Seebach will write a proposal to disallow previously deprecated
	features for the language and library. -- done

	MacDonald will provide rationale to Benito that explains when restrict 
	should be used. -- done

***	Jaeschke will provide rationale for long long to Benito. -- pending

***	Mooney/Harris will warn Simonsen about the changes to assert in N611 
	and inquire about what POSIX does with wchar file names. -- pending

***	Benito will put the rationale draft on the FTP site. -- pending

	Benito will post the final draft of WG14's contribution to WG20's I18N 
	API on the restricted FTP site. -- done

	Keaton will submit a revised version of N489 "Unnamed Structure/Union 
	Members." -- dropped

	Gwyn, L. Jones, and Seebach will be the review committee for the DR166
	paper.  Gwyn or Jones will champion the paper at Kona. -- done

	Jaeschke will gather DRs from group leaders (MacDonald, Meyers, and
	Seymour) and hand them over to Benito for inclusion in the DR log. 
	-- done

	Benito will put the DR log in the next mailing. -- done

	Gwyn, L. Jones, and Mooney will be the review committee for N581. 
	-- dropped

	Meyers will draft words for item 4 of N579. -- done

	Gwyn will complete the wording for // comments. -- done

1.8.	Approval of Agenda

	2.4 "WG15 POSIX Update" should include N719 "Response of the Uniform
	Driver Interface Committee to the ISO C Committee".
	5. "Inlining", N709 "Inlining Proposal, Revision 1" (MacDonald) is 
	an updated version of N700 "Inlining Proposal" and should replace it.
	6. "General Wording Issues", N739 "General wording issues (clauses 1
	to 6), first revision" (Feather) is an updated version of N676 
	"General wording issues (clauses 1 to 6)" and should replace it. 
	N735 "General wording issues (clause 7), first revision" (Feather)
	is an updated version of N689 "General wording issues (clause 7)"
	and should replace it.
	7.2 "DR 143" should include N729 "Mode strings in fopen" (Feather).
	8.  "Implicit Int Cleanup" should include N722 "Removing implicit int 
	-- further lacunae" (Feather).
	9. "scalbn Math Function" should include N728 "scalbn" (Tydeman)
	11. "Unary * lvalue/rvalue conversion" should include N720 "Proposed
	Defect Resolutions" (Feather) and N721 "Unary * operator -- a fix 
	(reprinted)" (Feather).
	14. "Representation of values" should include N723 "Changes to shift
	operators" (Feather), and N724 "Minor alteration to representations 
	of types" (Feather). 
	15. "Implementation-Defined Integral Types" should include N736 
	"Preprocessor arithmetic" (Meyers).
	18.1. "Varargs" should include N707 "Varargs for function-like macros" 
	(Feather).  
	18.5. "Integer conversion rules" should include N725 "Simplified 
	integer conversion rules" (Feather).
	19. "Bool, revised words" should include N738 "Improved boolean 
	wording" (Farance) and N743 "Bit-Field Enhancements" (Keaton).
	23. "Basic I/O H/W addressing", N731 "Basic I/O hardware addressing
	<iohw.h>" (Kristoffersen) is an updated version of N706 "Basic I/O
	hardware addressing <iohw.h>" and should replace it.
	24.1 "POSIX alignment" should include N714 "POSIX Alignment" 
	(Simonsen)
	24.2 "strftime alignment" should include N715 "strftime alignment" 
	(Simonsen) and N733 "New formats for strftime" (Feather).
	29.1. "Extended Identifiers" should include N717 "Wording for 
	Extended Identifiers [Revision 3]" (Plum).
	29.2. "Compound Literals" should include N716 "Compound Literals" 
	(Prosser and Keaton).
	29.3. "Aggregate initialization" should include N730 "Cleanup of 
	aggregate initialization" (Feather).
	29.4. "Floating-Point Cleanup Items" should include N734 
	"Miscellaneous Floating-Point Cleanup Items" (Thomas).
	29.5. "Cleanup section 7.4.x <inttypes.h>" should include N737
	"inttypes.h changes"
	29.6. "size_t and ptrdiff_t issues" should include N708 "Issues 
	with size_t and ptrdiff_t" (Feather).
	29.7. "Mixing declarations and code" should include N712 "Mixing 
	declarations and code" (Feather), and N740 "Mixing Declarations 
	and code, Final wording changes" (Feather). 

A	The agenda presented in N699 with the above changes was approved
	by acclamation.

	In order to make the most efficient use of time, many topics were
	addressed at multiple times during the meeting.  For ease of 
	reading, these minutes collect such fragmented discussions 
	together into a single item.

1.9.	Distribution of New Documents

	New documents distributed throughout the week will be included
	in the next mailing.

1.10.	Information on the Next Meeting [N681]

	The next meeting will be hosted by Douglas Walls of Sun Microsystems 
	on 20-24 October, 1997 in Menlo Park, California, USA.  Walls provided 
	hotel and travel information in N681.  To facilitate the preparation 
	of security badges, Walls asked that those planning to attend notify 
	him by Thursday, 16 October 1997.

1.11.	Identification of National Bodies and J11 Voting Members

	All 17 J11 voting members are eligible to vote.  There have been two
	changes in membership.  Intel has satisfied the attendance requirement 
	and becomes a voting member at this meeting.  Jim Thomas has joined 
	Hewlett-Packard and so becomes an alternate representative for HP.

	Four National Bodies were in attendance:  Canada, Denmark, the United 
	Kingdom, and the United States.

	An attendance sheet is attached to these minutes.

2.	Liason Activities	

2.1.	J11 & ANSI (C)

	Benito reported that X3 has changed their name to NCITS (National 
	Committee for Information Technology Standardization).  The last
	official word is that working groups should drop the "X3" from their
	official designation so X3J11 is now just J11.

2.2.	WG14 + ISO/SC22

	Benito reported that WG14 has sent the working paper for CD 
	Registration to Bill Reinhuls, the SC22 Secretariat.  The ballot 
	closes the 25th of July.  Benito completed N710 "WG14 Business Plan 
	and Convener's Report" this week, and submitted to the SC22 
	Secretariat.  Benito will be representing WG14 at the SC22 Plenary 
	during the week of 18 August 1997, in Ottawa, Canada.  Benito 
	expects no controversial issues.

	Benito reported that WG14 is working toward providing mailings 
	electronically, allowing members to receive material faster and 
	avoid the expense of receiving paper mailings.  To meet this goal, 
	after this meeting all papers must be sent to Benito electronically 
	in either postscript or text format.  PDF is an acceptable optional
	format which may be provided in addition to postscript or text.  

***	Benito to work with the FTP administrator to furnish mailings 
	electronically by the end of the year.

2.3.	J16/WG21 (C++)
	
	Plum reported that the second CD ballot for the pending C++ standard 
	has closed.  The committee has received a long list of public comments 
	on the second CD, but the good news is that there appear to be no 
	diametrically opposed comments in this set of ballots.  Plum believes
	most delegations are satisfied with the current draft pending the 
	resolution of its comments.

	The committee meets again in two weeks to organize the comments from
	the second CD and begin to resolve them.  The committee plans to 
	complete a new draft by November, at which time the SC22 Secretariat 
	will determine if the new draft satisfies the requirements for a DIS.

2.4.	WG15 (POSIX)  [N719]

	A group of POSIX-member companies has formed the Uniform Driver 
	Interface (UDI) working group to define I/O interface standards.  This 
	work may create a liason issue with WG14 which is also considering I/O 
	interface proposals. 

***	Jaeschke to contact the UDI working group and discuss next steps.

2.5.	WG20 (I18N)

	Benito had no news to report.

2.6.	Other Liason Activities

2.6.1.	T2/WG11 (Language Independent Arithmetic)

	It was reported that Mary Payne of Digital Equipment, who served
	as project editor for the committee, has passed away. The committee 
	is recruiting a new editor.

3.	Redactor Reports 

	Benito reported that he will be circulating the C Rationale 
	document for comment and needs to receive all input before 
	8 August 1997.  Walls reported that N711 "Status of approved 
	proposals for C9X" has been updated to reflect what is in draft 
	10-pre1.  Walls and Farance further reported that their top 
	priority for this week is to correct errors in draft 10 and make 
	the draft available to members of the committee.  Walls and 
	Farance may plan evening editing sessions during the meeting 
	and in the coming weeks.

*** 	Benito to provide the C Rationale document on the reflector before
	the next meeting.

4.	CD Ballot/Schedule Discussion

	Benito reiterated the goal of the committee to complete the 
	standardization process for C9X during 1999.  If the committee 
	makes additional substantive changes after this meeting then the
	first CD will need to be the Final CD before going to DIS.  Once 
	a Final CD is released, substantial changes should be limited to 
	what is required to respond to issues raised from a national body.

	The result of discussion was consensus that the committee is on
 	track to release a first CD later this year.  In order to keep to 
	this tight schedule, the committee may need editorial review 
	subcommittee meetings in the weeks after this meeting.

5.	Inlining [N709]

	Meyers presented N709 "Inlining Proposal, Revision 1" in order to 
	address several issues which arose from the discussion of N633 at 
	the last meeting.

SV	Are you in favor of the model proposed in N709, subject to the 
	favorable resolution of the points discussed?
	12/0/2
	4/0/0

SV	Should the committee remove the constraint that inline function 
	specifiers be used only at file scope?
	4/2/6
	3/0/1

SV	Should the committee move from semantics to constraints the 
	requirement that the inline keyword not appear on the declaration 
	of main?
	Acclamation

SV	Should the first paragraph be reworded to more clearly convey that 
	the inline keyword is a suggestion for the translator?
	Acclamation

SV	Should the committee clarify the effect of an addition or removal 
	of the inline keyword on a correct program?
	Acclamation 	

SV	Should the standard allow local static storage within an extern 
	inline function?
	3/7/4
	0/2/2

SV	Should local static storage within an extern inline function be a 
	constraint violation?
	3/3/8
	1/1/2

SV	Should local static storage within an extern inline function be 
	undefined behavior?
	5/1/8
	3/1/0

SV	Should additional words be added to explain that taking the address 
	of an inline function should be allowed and operate as if it were 
	not inlined?
	5/5/4
	3/0/1

	With this feedback, Meyers presented N741 "Revised inline wording"
	which contains proposed wording changes.

FM	Meyers/Walls, that the proposed wording changes of N741 "Revised
	inline wording" be incorporated into the C9X draft with the following 
	wording changes:  
	on line 3 of Constraints change "definiton" to "definition"; 
	on line 6 of Semantics change "funtion" to "function"; 
	on line 3 of footnote 1 change "within the function" to "within the 
	body of the function".
FV	11/0/1/5/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

6. 	General Wording Issues, 1 [N739, N735]

	Feather presented N739 "General wording issues (clauses 1 to 6), 
	first revision" to identify and propose solutions to a variety of 
	wording issues in the current draft.

FM	L. Jones/Tydeman, that the proposed wording changes of N739 "General
	wording issues (clauses 1 to 6), first revision", Items 2, 3, 4, 5,
	6a, 6b, 8, 9a, and 10 be incorporated into the C9X draft with the 
	following wording changes:  
	change "behaviour" to "behavior" throughout; 
	in Item 5, change the paragraph insertion between existing paragraphs 
	3 and 4 to: "Unless explicitly stated otherwise, where this 
	International Standard uses the term "identifier" to refer to some 
	entity (as opposed to the syntactic construct), it refers to the
	entity in the relevant name space whose declaration is visible at the
	point the identifier occurs." 
FV	8/0/4/5/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

	Feather separately presented Item 14 of N739 which proposes changes
	to the ability of a function not of type void to execute a return
	statement without an expression.

SV	Are you in favor of the change in Item 14?
	8/2/2
	3/0/1

SV	Are you opposed to Alternative B of Item 14?
	Majority

FM	Tydeman/Keaton, that the proposed wording change of N739 "General
	wording issues (clauses 1 to 6), first revision", Item 14 up to 
	but not including Alternative B, be incorporated into the C9X draft 
	with the following wording changes: 
	change all occurrences of "behaviour" to "behavior"; 
	in Alternative A, the modification to the subclause 5.1.2.2.3 change 
	"If the "main" function executes a return that specifies no value" 
	to "If the } that terminates the "main" function is reached".
FV	5/4/2/6/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed 	

	Feather also presented N735 "General wording issues (clause 7), 
	first revision" as an attempt to identify wording issues in clause
	7 of the standard and to propose solutions.

	Regarding Item 1 in N735:

SV	Should alternative A be chosen over alternative B?
	3/5/4

SV	Should alternative B be chosen over the status quo?
	6/3

FM	Jaeschke/Benito, that the proposed wording changes of N735 
	"General wording issues (clause 7), first revision", Item 1 Option 
	B be incorporated into the C9X draft as is.
FV	5/3/3/4/17 -- Passed
CV	2/0/2 -- Passed

	Regarding Item 2 in N735:

SV	Should the proposal in Item 2 be accepted?
	2/9

SV	Should the behavior discussed in Item 2 be explicitly defined in
	the standard?
	5/2

*** 	Plum to write a proposal to further refine the use of sequence
	points in the evaluation of a library function for the October 
	meeting.

7.	Actions Resulting from DR Promises [N705]

	Benito presented N705 "Defect Reports since TC2 that promise
	some action for C9X."  There are currently 39 outstanding DRs, 11 of 
	which have no answer and 9 of which take no real action on the 
	standard.  The remaining DRs are work in progress.  Jaeschke has 
	allocated DRs to a variety of owners.

7.1. 	DR 77 [N675]

	At the request of Jaeschke, Feather presented N675 "Changes related 
	to DRs 77, 143, 144, 146, 147, and 149", which contains proposed 
	resolutions to several Feather defect reports.

FM	L. Jones/Tydeman, that the proposed wording changes of N675 "Changes 
	related to DRs 77, 143, 144, 146, 147, and 149", Section DR 77, be 
	incorporated into the C9X draft with the following wording changes: 
	prefix rather than append the change to footnote 21.
FV	10/0/1/6/17 -- Passed
CV	3/0/1 -- Passed

7.2.	DR 142 

	Jones presented DR 142 submitted 23 Feb 95 by Feather and discussed
	the Technical Corrigendum.

FM	Walls/Jones, that the following proposed wording change from DR 142
	Technical Corrigendum be incorporated into the C9X draft: 
	Replace the third bullet in subclause 7.1.3 with the following: 
	"Each macro name in any of the following subclauses (including 
	"Future library directions") is reserved for use as specified if 
	any of its associated headers is included; unless explicitly stated 
	otherwise.  Forward reference: 7.1.7."
FV 	6/1/4/6/17 -- Passed
CV	3/0/1 -- Passed

7.3.	DR 143  [N675, N729]

	Feather proposed the solution in N675 for DR 143.  However discussion
	revealed that many people believe that a broader set of strings can 
	cause behavior that does not conform to the standard.  In response
	Feather introduced N729 "Mode strings in fopen".

FM	Seebach/Seymour, that the proposed wording changes of N729 "Mode 
	strings in fopen" be incorporated into the C9X draft as is.
FV	10/0/4/3/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

7.4.	DR 144  [N675]

FM	L. Jones/Tydeman, that the proposed wording changes of N675 "Changes
	related to DRs 77, 143, 144, 146, 147, and 149", Section DR 144, be 
	incorporated into the C9X draft as is.
FV	10/0/2/5/17 -- Passed
CV	3/0/1 -- Passed

7.5.	DR 145  [N705]

FM	L. Jones/Tydeman, that N705 "Defect Reports since TC2 that promise
	action for C9X" Defect Report 145 Future Change, be incorporated into 
	the C9X draft with the following wording changes: 
	The first change is applied to Section 6.4, Constant Expressions, 
	Semantics, Paragraph 7; 
	the second change is applied to the same section, Paragraph 9.
FV	8/0/4/5/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed 	

7.6.	DR 146   [N675] 

FM	Seymour/Seebach, that the proposed wording changes of N675 "Changes
	related to DRs 77, 143, 144, 146, 147, and 149", Section DR 146, be 
	incorporated into the C9X draft as is.
FV	10/0/2/5/17 -- Passed
CV	3/0/1 -- Passed

7.7.	DR 147 and DR 149  [N675]

FM	Tydeman/L. Jones, that the proposed wording changes of N675 "Changes
	related to DRs 77, 143, 144, 146, 147, and 149", Sections DR 147 and 
	DR 149, be incorporated into the C9X draft as is.
FV	12/0/0/5/17 -- Passed
CV	3/0/1 -- Passed

7.8.	DR 150  [N705]

FM	Tydeman/L. Jones, that N705 "Defect Reports since TC2 that promise
	action for C9X" Defect Report 150 Suggested Future Change, be 
	incorporated into the C9X draft with the following wording changes:
	the change is applied to Section 6.5.7, Paragraph 4.
FV	11/0/1/5/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

7.9.	DR 155 and DR 158  [N705]

	Seymour presented the proposed resolution to DR155 and DR158.	

FM	Walls/L. Jones, that N705 "Defect Reports since TC2 that promise 
	action for C9X" Section Defect Report 155 and Defect Report 158 be 
	incorporated into the C9X draft with the following wording changes
	to Defect Report 155: 
	The change is applied to 7.13.3, Memory Management Functions, 
	Paragraph 1; 
	and the following wording changes to Defect Report 158: 
	The change is applied to 6.2.2.3, Pointers, Paragraph 4.
FV	12/0/0/2/14 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

7.10.	DR 159

***	Benito to investigate whether the C9X draft conforms to ISO
	directives with respect to DR 159.

7.11.	DR 160  [N705]

FM	Tydeman/L. Jones, that N705 "Defect Reports since TC2 that promise
	action for C9X", Defect Report 160 Suggested Future Change, be 
	incorporated into the C9X draft as is.
FV	10/0/2/5/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

7.12.	DR 162  [N705]

FM	L. Jones/Tydeman, that N705 "Defect Reports since TC2 that promise
	action for C9X", Defect Report 162 Future Change, be incorporated 
	into the C9X draft with the following wording changes:  
	The change applies to Section 7.15.3, Paragraph 1; 
	change both occurrences of "strtime" to "strftime". 
FV	8/0/4/5/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

8.	Implicit Int Cleanup [N692]

	L. Jones presented N692, "Implicit int cleanup" to follow up on a 
	small number of dangling issues that remained after adopting N661 
	at Kona. This submission fulfills the action item to scan the 
	standard and remove all implicit int references and examples.

FM	Tydeman/L. Jones, that the proposed wording changes of N692 "Implicit 
	int cleanup" be incorporated into the C9X draft as is.
FV	10/0/0/7/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0  -- Passed

	Feather presented N722 "Removing implicit int -- further lacunae" to
	further extend the deprecation of implicit integer declarations taken
	by N692. 

FM	Walls/L. Jones, that the proposed wording changes of N722 "Removing 
	implicit int -- further lacunae" be incorporated into the C9X draft
	as is.
FV	10/0/1/6/17 -- Passed
CV	2/0/1/1 -- Passed

9.	scalbn Math Function [N680]

	Tydeman presented N680 "scalbn" to make the scalbn function approved 
	in Kona a true type-generic function.  Tydeman presented a number of 
	potential alternative actions.

SV	Should some change be made to the scalbn function to make it more 
	type-generic?
	2/1/7
	1/0/2

FM	Tydeman/Walls, that the proposal for new forms of scalbn labeled
	"An alternative is to change scalbn ..." in N680 "scalbn" be passed
	on to an editorial review board to draft the changes necessary to 
	incorporate the proposal in the C9X draft.
FV	2/1/7/7/17 -- Passed
CV	2/1/1 -- Passed

	Tydeman, Walls, and Thomas formed the editorial review committee and
	then provided N728 "scalbn" which contains final wording.

FM	Tydeman/L. Jones, that the proposed wording changes of N728 "scalbn" 
	be incorporated into the C9X draft as is.
FV	7/0/3/7/17 -- Passed
CV	3/0/1 -- Passed

10.	Addition of the function vscanf [N701]

	L. Jones presented N701 "scanf".  Although the standard library 
	provides va_list versions of the printf family of functions, it does 
	not provide them for the scanf family.

FM	L. Jones/Tydeman, that the proposed wording changes of N701 "vscanf" 
	be incorporated into the C9X draft with the following wording changes: 
	change all references to footnote 109 to 108; 
	change all references to footnote 186 to 185; 
	change all references to footnote 222 to 221;
	page 2, the change intended for 7.12.6.7 The vfprint function, should
	be applied to 7.12.6.8.
FV	10/1/3/3/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

11.	Unary * lvalue/rvalue Conversion [N697]

	Meyers presented N697 "Unary * lvalue/rvalue conversion".  Feather
	introduced N720 "Proposed DR resolutions" because DR76 addresses the
	same issues.  As neither approach met every requirement, Feather then
	introduced N721 "Unary * operator -- a fix (reprinted)".  

FM	Meyers/Seebach, that the proposed wording changes of N721 "Unary *
	operator -- a fix (reprinted)" be incorporated into the C9X draft
	with the following wording changes: 
	in the insertion at the end of Paragraph 3, end of the first sentence, 
	change " ... does not exist." to " ... does not exist, except that the 
	constraints on the operators still apply and the result is not an 
	lvalue."; 
	in the first sentence of footnote 54 change "(E1 + E2)" to "(E1 + 
	(E2))"; 
	change all occurrences of "behaviour" to "behavior".
FV	8/1/4/4/17 -- Passed
CV	3/0/1 -- Passed

12.	Type-Generic Math Functions [N693]

	Thomas introduced N693, "Type-Generic Math Functions".  This paper 
	received editorial review board approval after stage 3 approval at 
	the Kona meeting. The only substantive change since Kona is the 
	replacement of the proposed change to the nextafter function with
	the addition of the addition of the nextafterx function with a 
	long double second parameter. 

FM	Thomas/Walls, that the proposed wording changes of N693 "Type-Generic
	Math Functions" be incorporated into the C9X draft as is.
FV	10/0/4/3/17 -- Passed
CV	3/1/0 -- Passed

13.	Addition of the function strdup [N704]

	L. Jones reviewed N704 "strdup" which proposes the addition of the
	function to the standard library.  The major issue was the 
	desirability of adding a function to the standard library which 
	allocates heap memory automatically for the user.

FM	L. Jones/Meyers, that the proposed wording changes of N704 "strdup"
	be incorporated into the C9X draft as is.
FV	7/1/6/3/17 -- Passed
CV	1/1/2 -- Failed

14.	Representation of values [N691]

	Feather presented N691, "Representation of values" to further 
	elaborate on value representation, particularly integer 
	representation.

SV	Should all uses of "integral" be replaced by "integer" in the 
	standard where appropriate?
	11/0/3

FM	Plum/L. Jones, that the proposed wording changes of N691 
	"Representation of Values" be incorporated into the C9X draft with 
	the following wording changes: 
	In Section 6.1.2.7.1 General, second footnote, line 3, change 
	" ... but if the value ... " to " ... but the value ... "; 
	third footnote, line 2, change "mempcpy" to "memcpy"; 
	Section 6.1.2.7.2. Integral types, first footnote, line 2, change the 
	semicolon after "representations" to a comma; 
	delete the entire change intended for Section 6.3.7 (the << and >> 
	operators).
FV	8/4/2/3/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

	To answer concerns about the modification in N691 regarding the << 
	and >> operators, Feather submitted N723 "Changes to shift operators".

FM	Seymour/Tydeman, that the proposed wording changes of N723 "Changes 
	to shift operators" be incorporated into the C9X draft with the 
	following wording changes: 
	change all occurrences of "behaviour" to "behavior".
FV	7/0/4/6/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

	Feather further introduced N724 "Minor alterations to representations
	of types" to further define the meaning of the sign bit in an integral
	representation.

FM	Tydeman/L. Jones, that the proposed wording changes of N724 "Minor
	alteration to representations of types" be incorporated into the C9X
	draft as is.
FV	4/0/7/6/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

15.	Implementation-Defined Integral Types [N698, N736]

	Meyers presented N698 "Implementation-Defined Integral Types" which
	allows the use of implementation-defined integral types in the 
	standard headers.  

SV	Should Sections 4.2, 5.2, and 6.2 of N698 be chosen for the final 
	standard over Sections 4.1, 5.1, and 6.1?
	15/0/3

SV	Should Section 7 of N698 be considered for final adoption?
	11/0/7

SV 	Should Section 8 be considered for final adoption?
	Acclamation

FM	Meyers/Seymour, that the proposed wording changes of Sections 3,
	4.2, 5.2, 6.2, 7, and 8 of N698 "Implementation Defined Integral
	Types" be incorporated into the C9X draft with the following wording 
	changes:  
	In Section 3, begin a new paragraph with the third sentence of the 
	added paragraph which begins "The extended ..."; 
	in the same sentence, change the first "unsigned" to "signed" so 
	the sentence begins "The extended signed integer types ..."; 
	in Section 4.2, the change is applied to the standard at the end of 
	Section 6.1.2.7.2.; 
	in the sentence labeled "Add:" change "... excluding the sign bit 
	(if any) and any padding" to "... excluding any sign and padding 
	bits".  In Section 6.2, fourth paragraph of the replacement text, 
	third line, change "... then operand with signed integer type is 
	converted ... " to " ... then the operand with signed integer type 
	is converted ... "; 
	fifth paragraph of the replacement text, fourth line, change 
	"... integer type is converted to the type of operand ... " to 
	" ... integer type is converted to the type of the operand ..."; 
	Section 7, insertion for Section 6.1.3.2, second line, change 
	" ... can not be represented by a type ..." to " ... can not be 
	represented by any type ... ".
FV	11/1/2/3/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

SV	Are you in favor of the principles expressed in Section 9?
	12/1/5

	With this guidance, Meyers presented N736 "Preprocessor arithmetic"  
	with several alternative wordings for Section 9.

FM	Seymour/Meyers, that the proposed wording changes of N736 
	"Preprocessor arithmetic", Alternative D be incorporated into the C9X
	draft with the following wording changes: 
	on line 4 change the phrase "had the same representation" to "have 
	the same representation".
FV	9/0/2/6/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

16.	An 'm' conversion specifier [N668]

	Feather presented N668 which proposes an I/O modifier for values of
	type intmax_t and uintmax_t.

FM	Seebach/Jaeschke, that the proposed wording changes of N668 "Format
	modifier for intmax_t and uintmax_t values" be incorporated into the
	C9X draft in some form.
FV	1/6/4/6/17 -- Failed
CV	1/2/1 -- Failed

17.	Seebach Papers [N687, N686, N688]

17.1.	strsep [N687]

	Seebach presented N687 "Replacement for strtok" to propose the 
	strsep function addition to the standard library.  Strtok cannot 
	handle empty fields or more than a single string at a time.  If 
	accepted, a wide character version may also be needed for 
	consistency within the standard library.

SV	Should N687 "Replacement for strtok" be accepted in concept?
	3/4/6 
	0/2/2
	
17.2.	Obsolescent Features in the C Standard [N686]

	Seebach led a discussion of potential actions regarding several 
	features labeled "obsolescent" in C89.

FM	L. Jones/Meyers, that the proposed change of N686 "Obsolescent
	Features of the C Standard" Section 6.9.5, Alternative 1 be 
	incorporated into the C9X draft as is.
FV	6/2/6/3/17 -- Passed
CV	3/0/1 -- Passed

SV	Should there be some change to C9X regarding old-style function
	declarations?
	5/8/1
	1/1/2

17.3.	<inttypes.h> namespace issues [N688]

	Seebach presented N688 "<inttypes.h> namespace issues" to reserve
	a selected namespace for expansion of types defined in <inttypes.h>.

FM	Walls/L. Jones, that the proposed wording change of N688 
	"<inttypes.h> namespace issues" be incorporated into the C9X draft
	with the following wording changes: 
	in the Proposal section change "7.19.2" with "7.19.x"; 
	in the proposed wording on line 3 change "and ending in '_MAX'" to 
	"and ending with '_MAX'"; beginning on line 5 change "by any printf 
	or scanf format character suitable for formatting integer typed 
	objects," to "by any lower-case letter or 'X'".
FV	7/0/4/6/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

18.	Several short papers 

18.1.	Varargs [N707]

	Feather presented N707 "Varargs for function-like macros", intended
	to be final words for N581 as discussed in Amsterdam and Toronto.	

FM	Tydeman/Walls, that the proposed wording changes of N707 "Varargs
	for function-like macros" be incorporated into the C9X draft as is.
FV	9/0/2/6/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

18.2.	Reorder subclauses 6.1 and 6.2 [N672]

	Feather presented N672 "Reorder subclauses 6.1 and 6.2", as changes
	to enhance the readability of the standard, particularly by reducing
	forward references, without altering the language defined.

FM	L. Jones/Tydeman, that the proposal N672 "Reorder subclauses 6.1 and
	6.2" be passed on to an editorial review board to draft the changes
	necessary to incorporate the proposal into the C9X draft.
FV	5/3/3/6/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

***	Feather to lead editorial review committee.  Seebach and Martin to 
	participate.

18.3.	__va_copy [N671]

	Feather presented N671 "va_copy proposal".  va_copy was approved in 
	principal in Amsterdam; Feather has had the action item to develop
	the final words.

FM	Seebach/Jaeschke, that the proposed wording changes of N671 "va_copy
	proposal" be incorporated into the C9X draft with the following 
	wording changes: 
	change all occurrences of "__va_copy" to "va_copy".
FV	7/2/2/6/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

18.4.	Phases of translation [N673] 

	Feather presented N673 "Adjustments to phases of translation" 
	intends to clarify and correct the descriptions of translation 
	phases in the standard without adding or deleting features.

FM	Meyers/Seymour, that the proposed wording changes of N673 
	"Adjustments to phases of translation", Detailed Proposal, the 
	change in subclause 5.1.1.2. only, be incorporated into the C9X 
	draft as is.
FV	11/0/1/5/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

18.5.	Integer conversion rules [N725]

	Feather presented N725 "Simplified integer conversion rules" to 
	reduce the standard's extensive use of the word "size".

FM	Meyers/Walls, that N725 "Simplified integer conversion rules" be 
	passed to an editorial review board to draft the final changes 
	necessary to incorporate the proposal into the C9X draft.
FV	8/0/3/6/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

***	Feather to head review board; Meyers and Walls to participate.

19.	Bool, revised words [N702, N738, N743]

	Farance presented N702 "Boolean as a new type, revision 2".  The
	committee is interested in the more sophisticated boolean type but 
	identified the need for several clarifications to the proposal.

SV	Should N702 be more fully developed and given more agenda time at 
	this meeting?
	8/2/3
	4/0/0

	With this guidance, Farance introduced N738 "Improved boolean 
	wording" for further consideration. 

SV	Are you strongly in favor of converting logical and relational
	operators to type bool?
	5/5

SV	Could you accept a bool which does not include extensions to 
	printf/scanf?
	10/2/0
	4/0/0

SV	Could you accept a bool which does not include making logical and
	relational operators type bool?
	11/2/1
	4/0/0

SV	Could you accept a bool which does not include extending the
	is* macros to return boolean?
	12/0/2
	4/0/0

SV	Could you accept a bool which does not include boolean bit fields?
	5/6/3
	0/3/1

SV	Should the bool proposal be given more agenda time at this meeting?
	9/2/3
	4/0/0

	With this feedback, Keaton introduced N743 "Bit-field Enhancements"
	to propose general bit-field enhancements including bool bit-fields.
	The U.S. objected to considering enhancements to bit-fields beyond 
	the scope of the boolean type due to the timing of the arrival of 
	this paper, and the author agreed to withdraw all but the boolean-
	related aspects of N743.

FM	Keaton/Farance, that N738 "Improved boolean wording" as augmented
	by the boolean-related aspects of N743 "Bit-field Enhancements" be 
	passed on to an editorial review board to draft the final changes
	necessary to incorporate the proposal into the C9X draft.
FV	6/3/3/5/17 -- Passed
CV	2/0/2 -- Passed

***	Keaton to head review board; Plum, Seebach, and Feather to 
	participate.

20. 	VLA, final edits [N683]

	Jaeschke presented N683 "Final edits for incorporating VLAs into 
	C9X" in place of Tom MacDonald.  N683 records final wording changes 
	forwarded from the editorial review board.

FM	Keaton/Walls, that the proposed wording of N683 "Final edits for 
	incorporating VLAs into C9X" be included into the C9X draft with 
	the following wording changes: 
	Change #5, change the definition of "fsize3" from "int" to "size_t", 
	change the definition of "main" to "int main" and add "return 0;" 
	as the last statement in main, change the declaration "int size" 
	to "size_t size"; 
	Change #7, change "results are still the same" to "results are the 
	same", add the "variable length array (6.5.4.2)" forward reference 
	to 6.3.6.; 
	Change #11, change the comment "q is a static block scope VM" to 
	"q is a static block scope pointer to VLA"; 
	Change #12, the footnote line 2, change "bacause" to "because"; 
	Change 19, the paragraph labeled "With:" line 1, change "and 
	integer constant expressions" to "and are integer constant 
	expressions"; 
	Change #20, change the definition of "fcompat" to "void fcompat"; 
	Change #22, change the definition of "main" to "int main" and add 
	"return 0;" as the last statement in "main"; 
	Change #33, change the modified section from "7.6.2.1" to "7.9.2.1"; 
	identify the changes in the section Language Syntax Summary as 
	Change #34, delete the line "X.1.2.2 Declarations" in the paper; 
	in the change for 6.5.4. direct-declarator, delete "opt" from the 
	rule "direct-declarator [* opt]"; 
	in the change for 6.5.5. direct-abstract-declarator, delete the 
	"opt" from the rule "direct-abstract-declarator [* opt]".
FV	12/0/2/3/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed 
	 
21. 	Edits for Section 6.5.3. [N682]

	Meyers presented N682 "Suggested edits for C9X Draft 9 Section 6.5.3"
	on behalf of Tom MacDonald.   N682 introduces further examples and 
	clarifications into the specification for the variable length array.  
	There may need to be some further rectification of N682 Section 3 with 
	the function inlining specification.

FM	Seymour/Keaton, that the proposed wording of N682 "Suggested edits for 
	C9X Draft 9 Section 6.5.3" be included into the C9X draft with the 
	following wording changes:  
	paragraph 1, line 2, change "(#6 through #11 in c9xd9-pre3)" to (#7 
	through #12)"; 
	paragraph 2, line 3, change "#5 in cdxd9-pre3)" to "#6)"; 
	paragraph 4, second example defining g(void), change "extern float 
	d[100]" to "extern int d[100]"; 
	paragraph 5, second line, change "const can used" to "const can be 
	used"; 
	rationale paragraph 4, second paragraph, change "outer-to_inner" to 
	"outer-to-inner".
FV	11/0/2/4/17 -- Passed
CV	3/0/1 -- Passed

*** 	MacDonald to re-evaluate the references to inlined functions in 
	rationale, paragraph 3 in light of the addition of function inlining
	to C9X.

22.	FP/Complex Arithmetic Issues [N694]

	Thomas presented N694 "Floating-Point and Complex Arithmetic
	Enhancements", a revised version of N657 presented in Kona.  

FM	Tydeman/L. Jones, that the proposed wording changes of Points 1, 2, 
	and 3 of N694 "Floating-Point and Complex Arithmetic Enhancements"
	be incorporated into the C9X draft with the following wording 
	changes: 
	page 2, line 12, change " ... supports imaginary types as
	specified in G.3; ..." to " ... supports imaginary types [23] ; 
	..."; 
	change footnote 23 to "A specification for imaginary types is in 
	informative Annex G.".
FV	12/0/2/3/17 -- Passed
CV	3/0/1 -- Passed

SV	Should some form of fma be included in C9X?
	6/2/6
	2/0/2

SV	Should the fma be provided as specified in N694?
	5/3/6
	1/0/3

SV	Which of these alternatives for fma are minimally acceptable?
	Alternative 1: Add a feature test macro
	3/3/6
	Alternative 2: Add a macro which tells the user whether the fma
	is implemented in hardware or software.
	8/0/5
	Alternative 3: Add a macro which tells the user if the 
	implementation performs one round or two. 
	1/7/3

	With this guidance, Thomas provided the following proposal:

FM	Tydeman/L. Jones, that the proposed wording changes of Point 4 
	of N694 "Floating-Point and Complex Arithmetic Enhancements" be 
	incorporated into the C9X draft with the following wording 
	changes: 
	insert this new paragraph after paragraph 6 of Section 7.7 in the 
	C9X draft:

	"The macro
	
		FP_FAST_FMA

	is optionally defined.  If defined, it indicates the fma function
	generally executes about as fast as a multiply and an add of 
	double operands [1].  The macros

		FP_FAST_FMAF
		FP_FAST_FMAL

	are respectively float and long double analogs of FP_FAST_FMA.

	Footnote 1: Typically, the FP_FAST_FMA macro is defined if and 
	only if the fma function is implemented directly with a hardware 
	multiply-add instruction.  Software implementations are expected 
	to be substantially slower."
FV	8/2/4/3/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed 			

23.	Basic I/O Hardware Addressing [N731]

	Kristoffersen presented N731 "Basic I/O hardware addressing 
	<iohw.h>" 

FM	Farance/Jaeschke, that N731 "Basic I/O hardware addressing <iohw.h>"
	be passed on to an editorial review board to draft the final changes
	necessary to incorporate the proposal into the C9X draft.
FV	5/8/0/4/17 -- Failed 
CV	2/2/0 -- Failed	

***	Hoerth to investigate and assist Jaeschke in initiating liason 
	activities with UDI.

24.	POSIX alignment and strftime alignment 

24.1.	POSIX alignment  [N714]

	Jaeschke presented N714 "POSIX Alignment" on behalf of Simonsen.
	
***	Jaeschke to provide Simonsen through e-mail an itemized list of the 
	changes to N714.

24.2.	strftime alignment [N715]

	Jaeschke presented N715 "strftime Alignment" again on behalf of 
	Simonsen.  Since the paper is divided roughly equally in two parts, 
	Jaeschke moved that they be considered separately, first considering 
	the changes in entries.

FM	Jaeschke/Benito, that N715 "strftime alignment" through Section 
	7.5.2.1. be passed on to an editorial review board to draft the final
	changes necessary to incorporate the proposal into the C9X draft.
FV	1/5/8/3/17 -- Failed
CV	0/2/2 -- Failed

FM	Jaeschke/Benito, that the changes in Section 7.14.3.5. of N715 
	"strftime alignment" be passed on to an editorial review board to 
	draft the final changes necessary to incorporate the proposal into 
	the C9X draft.
FV	2/4/8/3/17 -- Failed
CV	0/1/3 -- Failed

FM	Keaton/Farance, that the ISO 8601 conversion descriptors of %f, %F, 
	%V, and %T from the list of Section 7.14.3.5. of N715 "strftime 
	alignment" be passed to an editorial review board to draft the final
	changed necessary to incorporate the changes into the C9X draft.
FV	6/2/5/4/17 -- Passed 
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed	 

	Feather drafted the wording changes and introduced N733 "New format
	for strftime".

FM	Tydeman/L. Jones, that the proposed wording changes of N733 "New
	formats for strftime" be incorporated into the C9X draft with the 
	following wording changes: 
	in the definition of %T change "%H-%M-%S" to "%H:%M:%S".
FV	9/0/2/6/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

25.	Standard pragmas -- improved wording [N696]

	Meyers presented N696 "Standard pragmas -- Improved wording" to 
	describe the problem of macro replacement in pragmas and suggest 
	new wording.

FM	Walls/Tydeman, that the proposed wording changes of N696 "Standard
	pragmas -- Improved wording" be incorporated into the C9X draft
	with the following wording changes: 
	in the rewritten Section 6.8.6 first paragraph under the 
	preprocessing directive change "where the preprocessing token STDC 
	does not follow" to "where the preprocessing token STDC does not 
	immediately follow", and in the following paragraph change the first 
	sentence "If the preprocessing token STDC does follow" to "If the 
	preprocessing token STDC does immediately follow"; 
	after the italicized "on-off-switch" remove the ":" after the phrase 
	"one of".
FV	12/0/2/3/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

26.	Deprecating ungetc at BOF [N703]

	Farance presented N703 "Standards wording for ungetc", which 
	received conceptual approval at the last meeting.

FM	Farance/Seymour, that the proposed wording changes of N703 
	"Standards wording for ungetc" be incorporated into the C9X draft
	with the following wording changes:  
	note that the wording changes are to be appended to 7.19.6. 
	Input/Output <stdio.h>.
FV	9/1/4/3/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

27.	Grammar start symbol [N695]

	Meyers presented N695 "Grammar Start Symbol" to correct the fact
	that the start symbol for the grammar is not clearly indicated.

FM	Meyers/Keaton, that the proposed wording changes of N695 "Grammar
	Start Symbol" up to but not including Section 2.7 be incorporated 
	into the C9X draft with the following wording changes:  
	In Section 2.6, the new sentence, change "until the end of the 
	translation phase 4." to "until the end of translation phase 4.". 
	Add an additional change to the standard: replace Clause 3, paragraph 
	2, sentence 2 with "Other terms are defined where they appear in 
	italic type or by being on the left side of a syntax rule.
FV	8/0/4/5/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed	

28.	Compatibility Issues with Union Members [N685]

	In place of Tom MacDonald, Jaeschke presented N685 "Compatibility 
	Issues with Union Members", which addresses an "aliasing loophole"
	for union objects having structure members with a common initial
	sequence of members.

FM	Meyers/Walls, that the proposed wording changes of N685
	"Compatibility Issues with Union Members" be incorporated into the 
	into the C9X draft as is.

FV	12/0/2/3/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

29.	Miscellaneous topics

29.1.	Extended Identifiers [N717]

	Plum presented N717 "Extended Identifiers", a specification for
	extended identifiers heavily leveraged from the C++ CD.

FM	Plum/Benito, that the proposed wording changes of N717 "Extended
	Identifiers" be incorporated into the C9X draft with the following
	wording changes: 
	Section 5.1.1.2, Translation phases, Paragraph 5, change 
	" ... member, escape sequence, or universal-character-name ... " 
	to " ... member, escape sequence, and universal-character-name ..."; 
	Constraints, page 1, add "inclusive" to the end of the sentence 
	which ends " ... 007F through 009F.".
FV	11/1/2/3/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

29.2.	Compound literals [N716]

	Keaton presented N716 "Compound literals" by Prosser and Keaton to 	
	complete the specification of compound literals that were approved in 
	principle February 1996.  Compound literals provide the ability to 
	create a static initializer without runtime overhead.

FM	Walls/Keaton, that the proposed wording changes of N716 "Compound
	Literals" be incorporated into the C9X standard as is.
FV	11/1/1/4/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

29.3.	Aggregate initialization [N730]

	In a related aggregate initialization issue, Feather introduced 
	N730 "Cleanup of aggregate initialization" to point out an 
	inconsistency in aggregate initialization related to N716.  The 
	chair expressed sentiment to allow additional review and comment 
	time before taking action on this new proposal coming from the 
	floor.

***	Jaeschke will add N730 to the agenda for the Menlo Park meeting.

29.4.	Floating-Point Cleanup Items [N734]

	Thomas presented N734 "Miscellaneous Floating-Point Cleanup
	Items"

FM	Tydeman/L. Jones, that the proposed wording changes of N734 
	"Miscellaneous Floating-Point Cleanup Items" be incorporated into
	the C9X standard with the following wording changes:  
	In change 1, delete the sentence "Omit it" from N734 and substitute 
	"Append the phrase 'expect where stated otherwise'."; 
	note that change 2 applies to section 7.13.1.5 "strtod" and in the 
	new text change "is no greater than DBL_MIN" to "is no greater than 
	the smallest normalized positive number in the result type; 
	In change 3, delete the sentence "Ditto for 7.18.4.1.1." and 
	substitute "Make the same change for the wide character version in 
	7.18.4.1.1 wcstod". 
FV	7/0/4/6/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

	At this successful conclusion of the last floating-point issue,
	the chair recognized and thanked Thomas for his exemplary effort
	over the last 8 years developing the floating-point enhancements
	in the C9X draft. 

29.5.	Cleanup section 7.4.x <inttypes.h> [N737]

	Gwyn submitted N737 "inttypes.h changes" electronically after 
	the meeting began.  The U.S. objected to considering this paper
	during this meeting due to its late arrival and the chair agreed
	to schedule time for consideration of this paper at the next 
	meeting.

***	Jaeschke will add N737 to the agenda for the Menlo Park meeting.

29.6.	size_t and ptrdiff_t issues  [N708]

	Feather presented N708 "Issues with size_t and ptrdiff_t".  After
	a brief discussion, Feather withdrew the paper due to meeting time 
	constraints.

29.7.	Mixing declarations and code [N712, N740]

	Feather presented N712 "Mix declarations and code" to incorporate
	the classical C++ capability of locating declarations anywhere
	in a block.

SV	Should this general principle be included in C9X?
	6/2/2
	4/0/0

SV	Should C9X include a solution which is more permissive than C++?
	2/10

SV	Considering the first section of the for () statement, should the
	standard allow one or multiple declarators?  
	Multiple: 12
	Single: 1
	Abstain: 1

SV	Should an initializer be required for such declarations?
	Yes: 1
	No: 11
	Abstain: 2

SV	Should the declarations be limited to scalars only?
	Yes: 1
	No: 11
	Abstain: 2
	
	With this guidance, Feather introduced N740 "Mixing declarations 
	and code, Final wording changes" which contains modifications to 
	the "Detailed proposal" section of N712. 

SV	Should C9X allow the "register" storage class specifier explicitly
	for declarations within a for loop?
	7/4/2

FM	Seebach/Seymour, that the proposed wording changes of N740 "Mixing
	declarations and code, Final wording changes" be incorporated into
	the C9X draft with the following wording changes: 
	Add a Constraint in Section 6.6.5 which reads, "The declaration in 
	a for loop shall only have storage class of auto or register."
FV	9/0/1/7/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

30. 	Administration

30.1.	Future Meetings

30.1.1.	Future Meetings Schedule

	Roger Golliver of Intel invites the committee to hold its February, 
	1999, meeting in the Portland, OR, USA area.  The committee 
	gratefully accepted and established February 1-5, 1999, as the date 
	for that meeting.  The schedule of all other future meetings remains 
	as it was shown in the previous minutes:

	October 20-24, 1997 	Menlo Park, CA, USA	Sun Microsystems
	February 2-6, 1998	Boulder, CO, USA	Keaton
	June 22-26, 1998	Copenhagen, Denmark	Danish Standards 
	October 5-9, 1998	New York, NY, USA	Farance
	February 1-5, 1999	Portland, OR, USA	Intel

30.1.2.	Future Agenda Items

	Jaeschke will post future agenda items on the reflector.

30.1.3.	Future Mailings

	Benito presented the following deadlines for the submission of 
	materials to be included in future mailings:

	July 18, 1997		Post London mailing
	September 26, 1997	Pre Menlo Park mailing
	November 21, 1997	Post Menlo Park mailing
	January 2, 1998		Pre Boulder mailing

	All deadlines are at the close of business PST [UTC-8].

	In addition, the deadline for submitting text to Benito for the 
	C Rationale document is 8 August 1997. 

30.2.	Resolutions

30.2.1. Review of Decisions Reached

	Hoerth read the formal motions, resolutions, formal votes, and 
	consensus votes as recorded in these minutes.

30.2.2. Formal Vote on Resolutions

FM	Farance/Tydeman, that the committee empower the Convener to forward
	the CD for ballot provided that editorial review is acceptable.
FV	11/0/0/6/17 -- Passed
CV	4/0/0 -- Passed

30.2.3. Review of Action Items

	Hoerth read the action items recorded in these minutes.

***	Jaeschke to draft a form letter for submission of comments about 
	the C9X CD and post the draft to the reflector by September 1.

***	Jaeschke to speak with Debra Donovan about the process for 
	electronic mail submission of comments.

***	Jaeschke to organize J11 meeting December 8-12, 1997, in the 
	Washington D.C. area to review and discuss public comments.

30.2.4. Thanks to Host

	The committee expressed its thanks to Neil Martin of Plum Hall
	Europe and BSI for hosting this meeting.

30.3.   Other Business

	The committee chose a new password for its restricted FTP site;
	contact your Head of Delegation to receive it.

31.	Adjournment

	The committee adjourned at 12:11 p.m. Friday, 27 June 1997.

			        Attendance
          Co-located Meeting of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG14 and ANSI J11
                              23-27 June 1997
                              London, England

	--------------------------------------------------------------
	U.S. J11 Attendees                       | M | T | W | T | F |
	--------------------------------------------------------------
     P	Digital Equipment, Randy Meyers ........ | X | X | X | X | X |
     P	Farance Inc., Frank Farance ............ | X | X | X | X | X |
     P	Hewlett-Packard, Mark Hoerth ........... | X | X | X | X | X |
     P	IBM Corp, Erin Harris .................. | X | X | X | X | X |
     P	Intel, Roger Golliver .................. | X | X | X | X | - |
     P	Keaton Consulting, David Keaton ........ | X | X | X | X | X |
     P	Perennial, John Benito ................. | X | X | X | X | X |
     P	Plum Hall, Tom Plum .................... | X | X | X | X | X |
     P	SDRC, Larry Jones ...................... | X | X | X | X | X |
     P	SGI/Cray, Tom MacDonald ................ | - | - | - | - | - |
     P	Sun Microsystems, Douglas Walls ........ | X | X | X | X | X |
     P	Unisys, Jonathan Ziebell ............... | - | - | - | - | - |
     P	U.S. Army, Doug Gwyn ................... | - | - | - | - | - |
     P	Self, Rex Jaeschke ..................... | X | X | X | X | X |
     P	Self, William Seymour .................. | X | X | X | X | X |
     P	Self, Peter Seebach .................... | X | X | X | X | X |
     P	Self, Fred Tydeman ..................... | X | X | X | X | X |
     A	Hewlett-Packard, Jim Thomas ............ | X | X | X | X | X |
	........................................ |   |   |   |   |   |
        	
--------------------------------------------------------------

	--------------------------------------------------------------
	Other National Bodies                    | M | T | W | T | F |
	--------------------------------------------------------------
	U.K. - Clive Feather ................... | X | X | X | X | X |
	U.K. - Francis Glassborow .............. | X | X | X | X | - |
	U.K. - Derek Jones ..................... | X | X | - | - | - |
	U.K. - Neil Martin ..................... | X | X | X | X | X |
	Canada - Erin Harris ................... | X | X | X | X | X |
	Denmark - Jan Kristoffersen ............ | X | X | X | X | X |
        Denmark - Keld Simonsen ................ | - | - | - | - | X |
	........................................ |   |   |   |   |   |
	--------------------------------------------------------------

___________________ end of SC22 N2535 __________________________