Subject: SC22 N2534 - JSG Conveners Report for August SC22 Plenary

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 17:32:10 -0400 (EDT)

___________________ beginning of title page __________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2534

August 1997

TITLE:
SC22/JSG Convener's Report for the August 1997 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
Please note that this Report contains a number of action items for SC22
approval at the August 1997 SC22 Plenary.  The Report will be considered
under Agenda Item 8.15.

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Convener's Report

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies for review and action.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________ end of title page; beginning of report _________________

Report of the Java Study Group (JSG) to the
SC22 Plenary, Ottawa, Canada, August 18-22, 1997

This report and the referenced documents are available on the JSG Web page
(http://www.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/JSG). The work of Keld Simonson in
maintaining this page and the support of the Danish Unix Users Group are
very much appreciated. Most of the Study Group work has been accomplished
using this Web page and the associated mailing list. All documents are
archived there.

The JSG held two meetings:
January 7-8, 1997, Cupertino, California, hosted by JavaSoft and Apple
June 30, 1997, London, hosted by BSI

JSG had strong liaison's with SC24 (about graphics and user interfaces in
Java) and with SC29 (about using the Java Virtual Machine as a target
architecture for delivering multi-media and hyper-media applications).

JavaScript was submitted to ECMA for standardization. JSG has maintained a
close liaison with ECMA TC-39. The ECMA General Assembly approved the
standard in June 1997 (as ECMA-262) and plans to submit it to ISO under the
Fast Track Process.TC-39 is the appropriate organization for continued
maintenance of the standard.

Sun applied to JTC1 for special status to submit Java through the PAS
(Publicly Available Specification) process (SC22 N 2455). The ballot on
that application for PAS submitter status closed on July 14, 1997 (SC22 N
2530). The JSG has served as useful forum for discussing the issues
involved. Comments have been mixed about the proposal and its probability
of success. It is likely there will have to be ballot resolution at the
JTC1 level. By the time of the SC22 Plenary (August 18-22), this issue may
still be unresolved.

The JSG had invited Sun to submit Java to ISO with the more traditional
processes. This would have involved the normal New Work Item Proposal
process and expected eventual assignment to SC22 and a Working Group
growing out of the existing JSG. This is still a possibility if the PAS
approach is not accepted by JTC1.

JSG recommends that SC22 continue the Java Study Group for another year to
1. continue the investigation of standardization alternatives for Java,
2. recommend future actions to SC22 in response to JTC1 actions on Java,
and
3. coordinate ballot resolution on behalf of SC22 on either JavaScript or
Java.

The Java Study Group should continue to operate in the same open fashion as
it has.

Bob Mathis, Convener SC22 Java Study Group

JSG Resolutions (California, USA, January 7-8, 1997)

R-1: ECMA Script: JSG acknowledges the need to standardize ECMA Script and
is encouraged that ECMA TC39 is actively working towards this goal. JSG
feels that no additional standards activity on ECMA Script should be
undertaken by ISO at this time. JSG invites ECMA TC39 to make drafts of the
ECMA Script standard available to JSG via its convener, so that individual
members can contribute comments during the review process.

R-2: MHEG: SC22/JSG is interested in standardizing the JVM as quickly as
possible in conjunction with Sun. SC22/JSG wants to work with the language
and application committees that are interested in the JVM. Until an ISO
standard exists for the JVM, SC22/JSG suggests MHEG6 reference the
Addison-Wesley books.

R-3: Formal Submission to Sun Microsystems
The ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 JSG invites Sun Microsystems to submit the Java Core
Technology for processing as an ISO standard or standards. To encourage Sun
Microsystems to adopt this approach rather than other routes to
standardization, we note that:
* ISO has the widest world recognition and ISO standards meet many
regulatory requirements.
* The scope of an SC22 project can be narrowly defined; for example, a
project can be limited to producing clarifications only, from a designated
base document.
* A tightly controlled scope can be used to expedite project deliverables.
* The development of standards can be timed to match the maturity of
different components of the technology.
* We believe that ISO policies would allow a cooperative agreement that
would satisfy Sun Microsystems, for example on:
        Intellectual property rights
        Brand naming
If it occurs that the initial standards are developed outside of ISO
auspices, the Java Study Group suggests that subsequent development should
occur in ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22.

R-4: Java Technical Issues List [Convener's Note: Actions in early 1997
made this action inappropriate and it was delayed via e-mail discussion
confirmed at the London meeting.]

JSG Resolutions (London, UK, June 30, 1997)

R-1: ECMA-262. JSG recommends that, if SC22 is assigned ballot resolution
for the fast track of ECMA-262, JSG serve as the ballot resolution group
for the fast track ballot.

R-2: ECMA-262. JSG recommends that, if SC22 is assigned responsibility for
ECMA-262, SC22 rely on ECMA's TC39 for maintenance and revision, and not
establish an SC22 Working Group for this standard.

R-3: JTC1/SC22. Whereas JSG believes that the Java language, Java Virtual
Machine, and core APIs are very interrelated, JSG recommends to SC22:
* That SC22 seek the responsibility for the initial PAS submissions based
on Sun's pending application.
* That JSG should be the ballot resolution group for Sun's initial Java
submission(s).
Whereas some National Bodies have requested that future maintenance of Java
be done within JTC1, JSG recommends to SC22 that JSG be assigned future
maintenance of any standard(s) assigned to SC22 based on these initial
submission(s).

R-4: JTC1/SC22. JSG recommends that SC22 continue the Java Study Group for
another year.

Summary of Actions Recommended to SC22 Plenary

Continue Java Study Group (London, R4) (draft based SC22 Resolution 96-25):
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 continues its study period on Java-related
standardization (in accordance with Paragraph 6.2.3 of the JTC 1
Directives) to investigate potential approaches for Java-related
standardization and continues its Java Study Group (JSG) to coordinate this
study and report to the next JTC 1/SC22 Plenary (if not sooner). SC22
reappoints Dr. Robert Mathis (United States) as Convener of this Java Study
Group. The Convener is empowered to involve other organizations and
individuals that might contribute to understanding and resolving issues.
The work of the Java Study Group will be conducted via email and other
Internet mechanisms to the maximum extent possible.

JSG Ballot Resolution on SUN PAS Submissions (London, R3):
If Sun Microsystems is approved as a PAS submitter and submits
specifications for the Java Programming Language, Java Virtual Machine, and
core class libraries, SC22 will seek responsibility for ballot resolution
and continued maintenance and assign those tasks to JSG

ECMA-262 Ballot Resolution (London, R1):
If SC22 is assigned ballot resolution for the fast track of ECMA-262 (as
will be requested by ECMA), JSG shall host the ballot resolution group for
the fast track ballot.

Liaison with SC24:

Liaison with SC29 (WG12 in particular) (SC22 N 2458):

Liaison with ECMA TC39:
SC22 appoints Dr. Robert Mathis (United States) as liaison with ECMA TC39.

_________________ end of SC22 N2534 __________________________________