Subject: SC22 N2528 - Public Availability of IS 8652 Technical Corrigenda

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 17:19:42 -0400 (EDT)

___________________ beginning of title page ___________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2528

July 1997

TITLE:
Public Availability of Technical Corrigenda for ISO/IEC 8652:1995

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
Please note that this request will be considered under new Agenda Item
8.4.3 at the August 1997 SC22 Plenary.

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
N/A

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies for review.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_________________ end of title page; beginning of text _____________

From:  Jim Moore, Convener, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9

Subj:  Public Availability of Technical Corrigenda for ISO/IEC 8652:1995

ISO/IEC 8652 on Programming Language Ada was published in 1995.  Since
then a number of requests for clarification and interpretation have been
submitted.  WG9 is now planning for the development of a Technical
Corrigenda document responding to these requests.

WG9 requests that it be permitted to extend the open, public
availability of the defect reports to their responses including the
Technical Corrigenda document itself.

There are several reasons for making the document publicly and openly
available:

- - During the development process, language users need to be able to
evaluate potential corrections to the language to ensure that their
investment is not adversely impacted by a change.
- - During the development process, compiler vendors should be able to
comment upon the implementation difficulties and the potential
incompatibilities caused by changes to the language specification.
- - During the approval process, both users and vendors need to be sure
that early proposals for corrections are faithfully specified in the
corrigenda document at all stages.
- - All parties need to have access to the proposed changes in the most
timely fashion possible.
- - Finally, it should be noted that the corrigenda document would be of
no value to any user without the base standard itself.  On the other
hand, open availability of the corrigenda document would make all
corrections immediately available to those who have purchased the
standard and require timely access to corrections.

It should be noted that we are NOT requesting ISO to forgo its copyright
of the final document. Copyright is appropriate to ensure that third
parties do not make unauthorized changes to the document.  Rather, we
are asking that WG9 be authorized to publicly display (for example, on
the World Wide Web) the final Technical Corrigenda document itself, in
addition to copies of the defect reports, related working material and
draft documents.

Regards, Jim Moore

_____________________ end of SC22 N2528 _____________________________