Subject: SC22 N2527 - Electronic Document Tips and Techniques

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 17:47:38 -0400 (EDT)

____________________ beginning of title page __________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A. (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2527

July 1997

TITLE:
Electronic Document Tips and Techniques Guide for E-Mail and Diskette
Distribution - Version 6

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
N/A

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

___________________end of title page; beginning of text ____________
                                                ISO/IEC JTC 1 N 4763
DATE: 25 June 197 
Replaces: JTC 1 N 4759

DOC TYPE:      Standing Document (for comment)

TITLE:         Electronic Document Tips & Techniques Guide for e-mail and  
               diskette distribution- Version 6

SOURCE:        Electronic Document Tips & Techniques Editor (P.A. Gibbon,  
               UK)

PROJECT:       --

STATUS:        As per JTC1 N 4559, Recommendation 1 of the JTC1 ad-hoc  
               group meeting on Strategy & Implementation of Information
               Technology held in Reston, VA, USA. on 25-27 February
               1997 requested the editor of the (diskette and e-mail) Tips  
               & Techniques Guide to produce a revised version of JTC1 N
               4367 taking into account the agreements reached in the
               Reston meeting and changes to the JTC 1 policy on
               electronic document distribution.  This document contains
               the changes requested in JTC 1 N 4559 and also
               incorporates updated material to reflect policy changes
               agreed at the Copenhagen, Denmark meeting of the JTC 1
               Ad Hoc IT strategy group.  This document is now forwarded
               to JTC1 National Bodies and Subcommittees for information. 
ACTION ID:     COM
DUE DATE:           
DISTRIBUTION:  P & L Members
               SC Chairmen and Secretariats
MEDIUM:        Diskette
NO. OF PAGES:  10

Address reply to:
Secretariat ISO/IEC JTC 1American National Standards Institute, 11 West 42nd Street, NY, NY 10036
Telephone:  212-642-4932;  Facsimile:  212-398-0023;  e-mail: [email-masked]

ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT TIPS & TECHNIQUES GUIDE - Version 6.0
Status of this version:  
As per JTC1 N 4559, Recommendation 1 of the JTC1 ad-hoc group meeting on  
Strategy & Implementation of Information Technology held in Reston, VA,
USA. on 25-27 February 1997 requested the editor of the (diskette and e-
mail) Tips & Techniques Guide to produce a revised version of JTC1 N 4367  
taking into account the agreements reached in the Reston meeting and 
changes to the JTC 1 policy on electronic document distribution.
This document contains the changes requested in JTC 1 N 4559 and also  
incorporates updated material to reflect policy changes agreed at the
Copenhagen, Denmark meeting of the JTC 1 Ad Hoc IT strategy group.
Readers are reminded that Version 3 of this document (JTC1 N 4185),  
included, as Annex A, the then latest available version of a substantial
contribution from CEN/CENELEC sources setting out techniques to be used in  
the preparation of WordPerfect 5.x documents which would increase the
likelihood of a document being converted to Word 2 and/or Word 6 without
loss of information. Readers are encouraged to make referenced to that  
version of the Tips & Techniques Guide until the final version of the
CEN/CENELEC guide is published under ISO/IEC auspices.

1.    Scope
This "Electronic Document Tips & Techniques Guide" has been developed as  
an aid to those involved in the diskette and e-mail electronic document
distribution activities within JTC1 and its subcommittees in an attempt to  
minimize the impact of problems experienced in the process. This document
exists as  JTC1 Standing Document (SD) for the information and advice of
all parties involved in the electronic document activities of JTC1  Any  
participant can, and is encouraged to, contribute tips and information.
The information contained herein is furnished on a "best efforts" basis.  
Any errors or omissions are regretted. Where reference is made to a
product or name to which copyright or a trade mark applies, the 
appropriate reference, where known, is made on the first occurrence of  
that term in the text of this document. 

2.    References
     ISO/IEC JTC1 N 4737 : Revised Electronic Document Templates
     ISO/IEC JTC1 N 4769: Revised JTC1 Policy on Electronic Document  
      Distribution using diskettes and e-mail, March 1997. (for 60-day  
      ballot prior to the JTC1 ad-hoc group meeting on Strategy &
      Implementation of Information Technology June 1997 Copenhagen
      meeting).
     ISO/IEC JTC1 N 4761: Revised JTC1 Policy on Electronic Document  
      Distribution, February 1997. (for 60-day ballot prior to the JTC1
      ad-hoc group meeting on Strategy & Implementation of Information
      Technology June 1997 Copenhagen  meeting).

3.    Definitions

3.1.1 platform a particular computer environment for which a specific  
      version of software is required (e.g. IBM  Personal Computer (PC),
      Apple Macintosh , Unix , etc.)

4.    Abbreviations

    IPS     Internet Protocol Suite
    PDF     Portable Document Format 
    RTF     Rich Text Format

5.    General Considerations for Electronic Document Distribution

5.1   Minimizing change in the distribution process

In order to minimize change in the distribution process and thus increase the chances of error-free distribution of
documents, the following aspects should be observed:
  
Submit the document in the word processing package, platform and release  
version in which it was originally prepared, provided that the format is
one of the permitted formats.

When submission in another platform, release or word-processing package is  
necessary, then minimize the number of such changes and attempt to make
them in the following order of preference:
          Change the computer platform whilst keeping the word processor  
          and equivalent release level the same
          Change the release version of the word processor package
          Change the word processor package

Where possible, submit the document using one of the provided templates  
(Word)/ styles (Word Perfect). For many document types, a suitable
template or sample document is to be found in JTC 1 N 4737. Guidance on  
the choice of an appropriate format is contained in Annex E of ISO/IEC
JTC1 N 4769: JTC1 Policy on Electronic Document Distribution, March 1997.
In instances where a sample document is insufficient, change can be  
minimized by maintaining the original document in the form submitted by
the originator and generating a separate cover page at the secretariat.  
To assist in this process, the document originator should supply their own
template/style with the document. File naming considerations for this  
approach are documented in 4.4.2 of ISO/IEC JTC1 N 4769: JTC1 Policy on
Electronic Document Distribution, February 1997.
Several examples, covering both simple and complicated cases, are  
contained in Annex B to JTC 1 N 4769. It is important to note that the
ability to leave the submitter s document unchanged will often outweigh  
the disadvantage of a document being a composite of more than one file.

5.2   Information to be provided by the originator of a document
Document originators should provide any relevant information they consider  
might be useful to the recipient of a document in order to enhance the
recipient's chances of viewing the document in the way intended by the  
originator. Examples of information that might be of value to the
recipient includes:
  Word processing package and version used for creation of the document  
   (e.g. Microsoft Word for Macintosh Version 5.1)
  Operating system and version
  Hardware platform
  Graphics usage
  Language version, if more than one involved.
This information should be added to the preamble of the document.

5.3   Font and Character Set Guidance
There are many factors which result in discrepancies from the originator's  
layout being experienced by a receiver of a document. One contributory
factor is the occurrence of font substitution in the recipient s machine  
environment. Font substitution results in different kerning and vertical
spacing characteristics being used which upsets the original document
format. In order to limit the occurrence of this phenomenon, it is
recommended wherever possible, that the usage of fonts be limited  to
those shown in the table below:

Font Type         Apple Macintosh and      Microsoft Windows (TM)
                  other environments 1/        environment

Non-serif         ITC Helvetica            Arial (TM) TT (TrueType (TM))
Serif             ITC Times Roman          Times New Roman TT
Finex pitch font  Courier                  Courier New TT

Note 1.   Other environments means any environment where Adobe Type  
Manager  (for example IBM PC/DOS  or equivalent) or Apple TrueType fonts
are used.
It is recognized that observation of this recommendation may not always  
be possible in complex documents with specific font requirements (e.g. use
of ASN.1 or test notations).
The character set used in text documents should be encoded according to  
ISO 8859-1 as defined in Annex D of ISO/IEC JTC1 N 4769: JTC1 Policy on
Electronic Document Distribution.

5.4   Page-size considerations
Adherence to the common printable area of A4 and 8.5" x 11".defined in  
Annex A of ISO/IEC JTC1 N 4769: JTC1 Policy on Electronic Document
Distribution will reduce, but not necessarily eliminate, difficulties  
caused by the use of different paper sizes in North America from the ISO
216 standard sizes elsewhere. Particular attention needs to be paid to  
page layout in landscape format to ensure that the common area is
utilized.
Particular care needs to be taken in the preparation of documents which  
require both portrait and landscape orientation.  In order not to
inconvenience recipients who may have widely different printing  
environments, the use of separate sections in a document for each
orientation should be utilized. If, for some reason, this can not be  
accomplished, consideration should be given to making the parts of the
document with separate orientations into separate documents. 

6.    Graphics
As defined in ISO/IEC JTC1 N 4769: JTC1 Policy on Electronic Document  
Distribution, March 1997, simple graphics may be embedded in revisable
documents provided they are editable by the graphics applications of the  
accepted word processing packages. For other graphics the following
approach should be considered:
 
In general, figures in documents (of certain types, especially developing
standards) should be developed as separate files, using whatever
application software is available and appropriate for the task.  Then,
final figures should be converted into files using ISO/IEC10918-1 (JPEG).   
Finally, the individual files are inserted into the word processing
document at the appropriate points using, for example, Word's JPEG filter.
Even when the figures are inserted into the document, it is important to  
consider the provision of the figures/graphics files as separate files in
the original image file format.
 
There are several reasons for this approach.  

Most commercial publication firms prefer separate text and figures files.   
This also can ease the conversion of the document to other formats. 

There is a wide variety of application software for generating
graphical figures.  This approach allows the most appropriate software
to be used for each figure, and yet requires that the figures in the final  
deliverable form will not require support of more than one standard file
format. It must be emphasized that JPEG files can be very compact
representations of bitmaps, but are still bitmaps.  So the original files  
in the native format of the production application should be kept for
future maintenance editing.
  
The figures and the text document can be worked by different editors in  
parallel.  Having text place-holders in the document instead of the
inserted figures can make the text editing task easier, since the file is  
smaller and graphics do not need to be rendered.  The figures can be
inserted only when a draft must be presented for consideration.
(There is a possibility of using other file formats during the transition:  
TIFF ,GIF and EPSF are generally acceptable.)

7.    Word Processor Considerations

7.1   General Word Processor considerations
In the JTC1 Policy on Electronic Document Distribution (ISO/IEC JTC1 N  
4769) the release versions of acceptable word processor software are
stated as, for example, "Microsoft Word Version 2.0   7.0" or "Word  
Perfect Version 5.1   7.0".  Clearly, difficulties can arise if one user
is at a lower level of the software and another user utilizes a higher
version which either stores the file in an incompatible format or uses
functions which are unique to the higher version. However, the acceptable
formats have been defined in this way in order to encourage a
move towards the highest common factor of software use, rather than
expressly limiting it to the perceived lowest common denominator. Two  
types of software can also be extremely useful in bridging the gap between
different releases of word processor packages. They are in addition to the
built-in capability of many word processor to convert from and save in  
many formats:
Converters which permit the conversion of earlier or even later versions  
of the same software. These are usually available form the software
vendor, often at no extra charge. Examples are the availability of  
converters so that Microsoft Word 6.0/95 documents  can be read by Word
for Windows 2.0 software and, more recently, the provision of converters
for the Word 97 format. With this capability a user may both read and  
revise a document from a different release.  Viewers which permit a user,
usually at no charge, to read and print, but not modify, a document in a  
word processor form, without that user needing to have the word processing
package itself. No charge Microsoft Word viewers are, again, an example.

7.2   Rich Text Format (RTF) considerations
RTF is one of the formats as defined in ISO/IEC JTC1 N 4769: JTC1 Policy  
on Electronic Document Distribution. Care should be taken to ensure that
the content of the document is such that fidelity of transfer can be  
expected when the document is transferred in RTF form. If the document
contains aspects which are unlikely to be transferred with integrity in
RTF, then distribution in a permissible word-processor should be
considered.  Guidance on format choice is given in Annex E of JTC1 N 4769.
Examples of technical aspects which may not be transferred with integrity  
in RTF are:
  The use of revision marking such as the strike-out and underline  
    approach for deleted and inserted text respectively.
  The strikeout and underlining may be lost in RTF, rendering the  
    document unreadable.
  The use of other than trivial graphics. For guidance see the section on  
  Graphics.
Another aspect to be aware of when RTF is used as a transfer format is  
the possibility of losing space characters in the text. Many gateways,
usually for performance reasons, are configured so that trailing blanks  
(i.e. space characters) at the end of each line are treated as nulls and
stripped off before forwarding. This has no effect on transfer of ordinary  
ISO 646 data streams but can cause the loss of space characters between
words in RTF data streams. As RTF data streams are a composite of control
and text characters, the omitted spaces may occur anywhere in the
document.  If a user frequently experiences this phenomenon, it is likely
that the source of the difficulty is close to that user (e.g. at the user
gateway) and it may be possible to arrange for the option of stripping
trailing blanks to be suppressed.
Since RTF can be processed by many word processors, it is highly desirable  
to avoid the use of features which may not translate directly in another
(or possibly the same) word processor environment. Examples of such  
features are:
  The use of printer's quotes (known as smart quotes in Microsoft Word)
  Bullets, en- and em-dashes
  The Symbol character set

7.3   Microsoft Word  specific section 

7.3.1 General Word considerations
The following are some of the areas which may affect the ability to  
reproduce a document with content and layout fidelity: 
  When moving between different platforms, font substitution may take  
  place. Since this may result in the substitution of a font with
  different kerning characteristics, reformatting and re-pagination may
  well take place. This is particularly true when Macintosh   fonts such
  as New York and Monaco are present in the incoming document.

  Word set-up can be varied to select a more appropriate font.
 
  Similar to font substitution, style formatting alterations may take
  place. A typical problem is the substitution of 18-point for the  
  "spacing before" paragraph attribute instead of the more typical
  settings of  "single-space", zero point, or a point size equal to the
  point size being used in the paragraph. A global change to the document
  will help.
  Submitters should try, wherever possible, to limit the size of an object  
  such as a table or a diagram to a size which is equal to or less than
  the size of the common printable area of A4 and 8.5" x 11". The
  dimensions of this area are defined in Annex A of ISO/IEC JTC1 N 4769:
  JTC1 Policy on Electronic Document Distribution, March 1997. It is
  important to note that the sensitivity of word processors to changes in
  a document is such that changes of as little as 0.3mm can be sufficient
  to cause re-pagination of the document. Attempts to keep within the
  common printable area may therefore not be sufficient to prevent  
  re-pagination taking place. If it is deemed to be of great importance to  
  maintain the same pagination over different paper sizes, then 
  consideration should be given to using the PDF file format as specified
  in 4.1 of JTC 1 N 4769.

Many of these factors, as well as other important considerations  
associated with both moving to Microsoft Word and from one computer
platform to another within Microsoft Word, are treated in detail in the  
on-line Microsoft Office webpages to be found at
http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/021/021.htm. Converters and viewers,  
as mentioned in 7.1, are available from the http://www.microsoft.com site.

7.3.2 Word for the Macintosh 5.1 considerations
Preparers of documents using Word for the Macintosh 5.1 should pay  
specific attention to the following points in order to increase the
probability of trouble-free document distribution to other environments.
  Word for the Macintosh 5.1 contains a filter which enables pictures  
  generated on a MAC to be saved in PC Word format. The equivalent
  filter is not present in Word for Windows 2 or Word 6 in a PC Windows
  environment.
  Accordingly MAC Word 5.1 documents containing MACDRAW graphics should be  
  saved as Word for Windows documents before attempting to export them to
  a PC environment.
  Fonts used in drawing objects may not be preserved when moving from a  
  MAC to a PC platform. Although it may be possible to edit the drawing
  and change the fonts, doing so on a PC may cause links to be lost. This
  difficulty can be minimized by a judicious choice of fonts at drawing
  creation time (see Section 5.3). There is a Truetype (TT) font for the
  MAC which is identical (from an identifier standpoint) to the Windows
  fonts (e.g. Arial TT).  The easiest way of ensuring, in a MAC
  environment, that font conversion problems are minimized is to use the
  MAC version of the Windows fonts. These fonts are distributed with  
  PowerPoint , but may also be purchased separately.
  If conversion cannot be avoided, then the non-graphics fonts convert as  
  defined in Section 5.3, but the fonts in pictures convert to printer
  fonts which may well cause editing difficulties where Adobe Type Manager
  is not used. Printing difficulties may also occur where the printer
  fonts (PostScript Type 1 or 2) are not available.

7.4   WordPerfect   specific section
Annex A contains a draft of a report generated by the CEN/CENELEC AGC  
Project Team 1, entitled "Originating documents: Keep it simple". When
completed, it is the aim of the CEN/CENELEC AGC group to submit the final
document into the ISO/IEC process via the ITSCG. This information is based  
on the latest draft (March 1996).  The aim of this guide is to provide
recommendations on the preparation of documents intended to be used on  
different word processors. Primarily it applies to documents created in
WordPerfect 5.x (5.1, 5.2 or 5.2+) and imported into Word 2 and Word 6.
This guide has four main sections covering: 
  text attributes;
  tables;
  formulae;
  graphics.
There are comprehensive tables at the end of the document which set out  
the character sets which can be successfully translated from and to
WordPerfect and Word. These common sets cover ASCII, Multinational 1 & 2,  
Box Drawing, Iconic Symbols, Math/Scientific Basic and Extension sets and
Greek characters.
The annex gives recommendations that should increase the likelihood of a  
document being converted from WordPerfect 5.x to Word 2 and Word 6 without
loss of information and with the presentation preserved as far as possible  
and with the format preserved as far as possible. Many of the general
observations in the areas of fonts, tables and margin and tab settings are
also useful in other word-processing environments.
In addition, the website mentioned in the Microsoft Word specific section  
above (http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/021/021.htm): is a useful
source of information to use in minimizing difficulties when moving from
one word processor package (or platform) to another. 

7.5   Text format considerations
When documents are intended to be distributed in text format, particular  
attention should be paid to the following
considerations:
  Preservation of layout may mean that the text should be saved with line  
    breaks to prevent wrapping from destroying the layout
  Tab characters may not be preserved with fidelity
  Quote marks and lists should utilize ordinary characters available in  
    the intended character set

8.    Page Image Considerations

8.1   Portable Document Format (PDF)  specific section

8.2   Acrobat   specific section
Adobe  Acrobat  software permits  access to documents in their original  
form, independent of computer platform. With the Acrobat Reader, it is
possible to view, navigate, print and present any Portable Document Format  
(PDF) file.  Acrobat Reader is distributed as a no-charge, licensed
product and the latest version (3.0 at time of writing), maybe accessed
from the Adobe homepage on the World-Wide-Web at http://www.adobe.com
It is permissible to re-distribute the Acrobat Reader program provided  
that the Read-Me file containing the license agreement is also
re-distributed. The Read Me file contains installation instructions and  
product information for the Acrobat Reader program. There is also an
On-line Guide (help_r.pdf) which provides essential information to help a  
user to  begin using Acrobat Reader 3.0.
If redistributing Acrobat Reader, users should place the Read Me file  
standalone in the directory with the acroread.exe file to assist the end
user with installation of the program. This file contains the following  
topics:
New features in Acrobat Reader 3.0
Installing Acrobat Reader
System requirements
Using the Weblink tool with Acrobat Reader
Known Problems
Creating your own PDF documents
Technical support
Electronic End User License Agreement
It should be noted that the ability to create PDF documents (in contrast  
to viewing and printing) requires the use of other at-a-charge software
available from Adobe Systems Inc. More information can be found on the  
Adobe homepage at http://www.adobe.com

9.    Compression and encoding

9.1   General
Compression may be used on diskettes in order to reduce the amount of  
space needed. Both compression and encoding may be employed in on-line
transmission and encoding may well have to be utilized when sending  
documents in a binary  format such as Word or WordPerfect documents. These
considerations apply to documents allowable as the E form (e-mail) method
of transmission as defined in ISO/IEC JTC1 N 4769: JTC1 Policy on Electronic Document Distribution, March
1997.

9.2   Recommended Compression/ De-Compression approach
The recommended Compression/ De-Compression mechanism is to use PKZIP   or
PKZIP-compatible software. An uncompressed file or message should state
which files are compressed and to indicate if any optional aspects of  
PKZIP have been used. Note that compression is an optional capability
which is used for efficiency reasons and its use should be considered when
a file in excess of 500KB.

9.3   Encoding techniques
When electronic document transfer takes place using an Internet Protocol  
Suite software stack, it is necessary to employ a form of encoding for the
transfer of documents held in binary form, as in many popular word  
processor formats. This encoding is performed for functional, rather than
performance enhancement reasons, as distinct from compression.
Experience has also shown that encoding is highly desirable for the  
transfer of textual file formats such as RTF for  which the presence or
absence of space characters can be critical. The JTC1 recommendation is to  
use UUENCODE/UUDECODE or MIME Base 64 techniques This recommendation is
based on the observation that there is no universal method for encoding
which will cover the varying computer capabilities of the JTC1 user set,  
but that the choice of UUENCODE/UUDECODE or MIME Base 64 covers the major
operating system platforms. and thus has the greatest reach of potential
users. It is important to note that many e-mail products enable easy  
encoding in UUENCODE/UUDECODE or MIME Base 64 and provide  automatic
de-coding on receipt (e.g. Eudora  by Qualcomm Inc. and Microsoft Mail by
Microsoft Inc.). A number of gateways are not capable of associating more  
than one attachment with a message, so it is desirable to limit the number
of attachments to one. Similarly, care should be taken by a document
originator to test whether a file is actually sent as an attachment to a  
message or whether embedding within the message takes place. This avoids
the recipient looking for non-existent attachments.

9.4   Useful software for encoding/decoding
The following software packages, in addition to those mentioned above,  
have been found to be of use for encoding/decoding in a Windows
environment.

9.4.1 Wincode 
Wincode encodes and decodes files in the following formats:
UUENCODING
XXENCODING, which can be of particular value when national characters are  
  used in Latin character sets
MIME Base 64
Binhex,
USR, BTOA, BOO, or
User-defined

The latest known version of this freeware package is 2.7.3c. Wincode can  
also be customized to link to and from PKZIP/UNZIP software and DOS virus
check programs. It also has built-in Winsock program support for auto  
e-mail.  An on-line help file is available at a charge. For further
information, see the home page at: http://snappy_software.com. or send
e-mail to [email-masked].

9.4.2 WinZip 
WinZip will zip and unzip files in the usual PKZIP form but also in LZH  
and ARJ formats. The latest version, WinZip 6.2, was released in October
of 1996. This version allows the opening and extraction of UUencoded,  
XXencoded, BinHex, and MIME files. These files can be opened via the
File/Open dialog or via drag and drop. WinZip 6.2 includes WinZip
Self-Extractor Personal Edition. Both 32-bit (Windows 95 and Windows NT)  
and 16-bit (Windows 3.1 and Windows for Workgroups) versions are
available. More information, including downline purchase and upgrade  
availability, is available from the WinZip home page:
http://www.winzip.com.
The ail address is Nico Mak Computing, Inc., P.O. Box 919, Bristol, CT  
06011, U.S.A..

10.   National considerations
Editors in countries with national alphabetical extenders should be aware  
of how this might impact the JTC1 distribution and filing of the documents
in electronic form.  When using national versions of word processing
software in fixed set layouts, etc. text in the national language could be
passed on, for instance, in headers or footers.
Document originators should also may attention to whether the text  
preparation software uses any national characters as control characters,
etc. as their use can produce unexpected formatting results.

11.   Acknowledgements
     Acrobat is a trademark of Adobe Systems Inc.
     Adobe is a trademark of Adobe Systems Inc. 
     Eudora  is a trademark of  the University of Illinois Board of  
       Trustees, licensed to Qualcomm Inc.
     IBM is a trademark of the IBM Corporation
     Microsoft Word is a trademark of the Microsoft Corp.
     Macintosh is a trademark of the Apple Corp.
     PKZIP is a trademark of PKWARE Inc.
     Portable Document Format (PDF) is a trademark of Adobe Systems Inc.
     PostScript is a trademark of Adobe Systems Inc.
     PowerPoint is a trademark of the Microsoft Corp.
     TrueType is a trademark of the Apple Corp.
     Unix is a trademark of X/Open Corporation.
     Wincode is a trademark of Snappy_Inc
     Windows is a trademark of the Microsoft Corp.
     WinZip is a trademark of Nico Mak Computing, Inc.
     WordPerfect is a trademark of Novell Inc

Annex A to JTC1 N 4763
Tips & Techniques Version 6
                                                                              
Originating documents: Keep it simple!
CEN/CENELEC AGC Project team 1
March 1996 - Edition 2
                                                                              
Version 3 of this document (JTC1 N 4185), included, as Annex A, the then  
latest available version of a substantial contribution from CEN/CENELEC
sources setting out techniques to be used in the preparation of
WordPerfect  5.x documents that would increase the likelihood of a
document being converted to Word 2 and/or Word 6 without loss of
information. The Tips & Techniques Editor expects the final  version of  
this document to be made  available to JTC1 in due course. Meanwhile,
readers are referred to Annex A to JTC1 N 4185 if they wish to make  
reference to the previous version.

_____________________ end of SC22 N2527 ___________________________