Subject: SC22 N2502 - WG16 Business Plan and Convener's Report

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 12:11:33 -0400 (EDT)

__________________beginning of title page _________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2502

TITLE:
WG16 Business Plan and WG16 Convener's Report for the August 1997 JTC
1/SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
Please note that this Convener's Report and Business Plan will be
considered under Agenda Item 8.9 at the August 1997 SC22 Plenary

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Convener's Report

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies for review.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________________end of title page; beginning of Report ______________

BUSINESS PLAN AND CONVENER'S REPORT: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG16 (ISLISP)

PERIOD COVERED: 
August 1996 - July 1997

SUBMITTED BY: 
Pierre Parquier  (ISO/IEC JTC1 SC22 WG16 Convener)
9 rue de Verdun, 94253 Gentilly Cedex, France
+33 1 49 08 35 86
[email-masked]

1. MANAGEMENT SUMMARY

1.1 JTC1/SC22/WG16 STATEMENT OF SCOPE 

  WG16 is responsible for the single project 22.23, producing an
  international standard for Lisp.

1.2 PROJECT REPORT 

1.2.1 COMPLETED PROJECTS 

JTC1.22.23 -- ISO/IEC 13816 "Programming Language ISLISP"

  ISO/IEC 13211 was published in May 1997.

1.2.2 PROJECTS UNDERWAY 

  No project underway.

1.2.3 COOPERATION AND COMPETITION 

  WG16 has cooperated with EuLisp and Common Lisp communities.

  ISLISP being a small Lisp supporting common practices in the Lisp
  community, it partly leveraged on the efforts of the EuLisp
  community, funded by the European Commmission, which had similar
  goals.  Many EuLisp experts contributed to WG16.  As the project
  JTC1.22.23 matured, EuLisp community gradually ended stopped its
  activity.

  ISLISP is also meant to be somewhat embedable in ANSI Common Lisp
  implementations, so Common Lisp experts contributed to WG16 to
  ensure its implememntability in a Common Lisp environment.  Common
  Lisp is not as much a competing standard, since it aims at providing
  a much wider Lisp language.

2.0 PERIOD REVIEW 

2.1 MARKET REQUIREMENTS 

  The Lisp user and vendor community has not expressed any strong
  requirement for further standardization, except for C/C++ binding.
  The WG16 investigated modules, i18n, graphics, binding facilities,
  but none were identified as standardizable in the short term, either
  for lack of strong demand or lack of maturity of current technology.
  WG16 identified C binding should be included in a subsequent
  revision of the standard ISO/IEC 13816.

2.2 ACHIEVEMENTS 

  Move CD 13816 to DIS status: 
  - 1996-10-21: DIS passed unanimously
  - 1996-09-30: ITTF commented DIS proposal to gain time over the
                next step

  Move DIS 13816 to IS status: 
  - 1996-12-31: IS13816 sent to ITTF for publication
  - 1996-05-01: after new minute comments from ITTF are addressed,
                ISO/IEC 13816 is finally published

  I feel that the final step (IS publication) has been way too slow (4
  months).  I suggest SC22 determines if this is a usual delay, and if
  so asks JTC1 to improve the publication process.

2.3 RESOURCES 

  The work for the period reviewed has mostly been IS editing; the
  Project Editor (Kent Pitman, USA) supplied the required effort.
  Besides Canada, France, Japan, UK and USA contributed to the
  disposition of comments.

  Resources to address defect reports are secured (FR and US, and GB
  and JP as backup).

3.0 FOCUS NEXT WORK PERIOD 

  For the upcoming work period, WG16 will be ready to recieve reports
  on ISO/IEC 13816.

  Work on the next revision of ISO/IEC 13816 (e.g. C binding) is not
  expected to begin during the next period.

3.1 DELIVERABLES 

  none over the next period.
  
3.2 STRATEGIES 

  Wait for defect reports and organize the work of WG16 depending on
  the content of these reports.

3.2.1 RISKS 

  None for the work planned over the next period.

3.2.2 OPPORTUNITIES 

  None for the work planned over the next period.

3.3 WORK PROGRAM PRIORITIES 

  None for the work planned over the next period.

4. OTHER ITEMS 

  This section lists other items that are not part of the "Business
  Plan" but are appropriate for Convener's Report.

4.1 POSSIBLE ACTION REQUEST AT FORTHCOMING PLENARY

  None.

4.2 PROJECT EDITOR

  JTC1.22.23 -- Programming Language ISLISP
    Kent Pitman

4.3 ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT DISTRIBUTION

  WG16 has been working over e-mail for over 8 years.  Since March
  1996 every WG16 formal document is distributed electronically; it is
  still distributed on paper too.

4.4 RECENT MEETING

  15th WG16 meeting:
  - in Bath (United Kingdom), November 8, 1996
  - main focus: disposition of comments on DIS ballot, plan for IS
                ballot, future projects
  - 4 NBs attended
  - minutes and resolutions is SC22/N2339

4.5 FUTURE MEETINGS

  No meeting expected for the next period.

___________________end of SC22 N2502 _________________________________