Subject: SC22 N2515 - WG9 Minutes and Resolution - June 2 Meeting

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 12:46:25 -0400 (EDT)

___________________beginning of title page __________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2515

July 1997

TITLE:
Minutes and Resolutions of SC22/WG9 (Ada) meeting on June 2, 1997 in
London, United Kingdom

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
N/A

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
WG9 Meeting Minutes and Resolutions

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies for information.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

__________end of title page; beginning of minutes __________________

Minutes of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9 Meeting #32
Monday, 2 June 1997

Notes:

*  World Wide Web URLs are enclosed in {curley brackets}.

The 32nd meeting of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9 (Ada) was held Monday, 2 June
1997, in the Mortimer Room of the Tower Thistle Hotel, London, England,
United Kingdom in conjunction with the Ada-Europe'97 conference
{http://www.sis.port.ac.uk/adauk/Ada-Europe/Conference/1997/}.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opening Orders

Call to Order: Jim Moore, Convener, called the meeting to order at
about 9:00 am.

Appointment of Meeting Secretary

Clyde Roby agreed to serve as Secretary at meeting #32; appreciation
was given for this.

Approval of Agenda

The agenda was distributed and slight changes were made to accommodate
the lunch meetings of a few people.

Welcome and Administrative Arrangements: John Barnes (UK)

Convener thanked Ada-Europe and especially John Barnes for making
arrangements for this meeting.

Approval of Minutes of Meeting #31

By the following resolution, the minutes of the Philadelphia meeting,  
available as document N323
{http://www.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG9/documents.html#N323}, were approved as
corrected.

RESOLUTION: The Minutes of Meeting #31 (N323) are approved with the
following corrections:

  1. his term will run though August 2000: though -> through
  2. contains the Table of Contents, Forward, General, and: Forward ->
     Foreword
  3. between 1.1.96 and 31.11.96: 31 -> 30 (Erhard said 31, but November  
     has 30 days only.)
  4. whether technical details of AIs should discussed at WG-9 meetings:
     should -> should be
  5. Tom Plumb has replaced him: Plumb -> Plum

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Convener's Report

Convener's recent report to SC22 can be found at
{http://www.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG9/documents.html#N328}.

Copyrights of ISO Working Documents

The issue of copyrights of ISO working documents was discussed.  The
reason for copyrights for documents is so that changes are not
indiscriminately made to them.  In addition, contributions by National
Bodies (NBs), though not copyrighted, must be protected.  There is
currently a one-year trial period during which the requirement to
place a copyright notice on WDs and CDs has been suspended.

Electronic Distribution of Documents

JTC1 and SC22 are rapidly moving toward distributing documents only in
electronic form. SC22 will shift totally to electronic document
distribution by September 1997. Currently, only about 25 percent of
SC22's documents are distributed in paper copy.

Revised Procedures for Progress of Documents

The progression of documents among JTCs, SCs, and WGs is such that
the procedures are now being made more similar.  The inquiry phase
within NBs must be done at "Final CD ballot".

The normal progression of documents is now as follows (this was shown in
graph form on a slide, beginning with a Working Draft):

   * CD registration: Three months in duration.
   * CD ballot: Three months in duration. Technical comments accepted. May
     be repeated if necessary.
   * Final CD ballot: Four months in duration. Last chance for technical
     comments. May be repeated if necessary.
   * Final DIS ballot: Two months in duration. No technical comments. Up or
     down decision.

The DIS designation is now only used for fast-track ballots.

Role of Language Bindings in SC22 Work Programme

>From Robert Follett, Chair of SC22 -- Development of a standard for a
language binding requires knowledge and expertise in two areas - the
standard for the technical subject of the binding and the standard for the
programming language involved. Thus, for example, the development of the GKS
Fortran binding required expertise in both GKS and Fortran. It has generally
been the case in the past that the binding is best produced by experts in
the technical subject of the binding rather than by programming language
experts. As a result, the language bindings developed in SC 22 have involved
bindings to technical areas within SC 22, e.g., POSIX or PCTE, but not to
technical areas in other SCs, e.g., graphics bindings in SC24. SC 22
believes this division of work is appropriate. There may be times when a
language binding would be produced by the language experts but such cases
should be assigned on a case by case basis and are not the general rule.

Upcoming SC22 Plenary in Ottawa

Convener plans to attend the forthcoming SC22 plenary in Ottawa, 18-22
August 1997. Rapporteur Group chairs are reminded of the following action
item:

ACTION 31-3 (Rapporteur Group Chairs): WG9 encourages its Rapporteur Groups
to schedule their meetings in conjunction with the SC22 plenary in Ottawa,
18-22 August 1997. Each RG chair should correspond with Steve Michell
regarding their intentions. Open: RG Chairs are still encouraged to schedule
meetings in conjunction with the SC22 plenary meeting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

National Body Reports and Introductions

The following delegations and individuals attended this meeting; reports
given are also included.

   * Canada: Steve Michell (head), Vincent Celier
        The SC22 plenary meeting in Ottawa in August was again noted.

   * France: Jean-Pierre Rosen
        A meeting was held at AFNOR on 24 May where many of the AIs were
        discussed.  France voted NO on the Numeric standards because the
        French translation on the title is currently wrong.  Convener
        noted that ISO 12182 is the preferred choice of English/French
        phrases for translations.

   * Germany: Erhard Ploedereder, Karlotto Mangold
        Rudolf Landwehr resigned as Head of Delegation; Erhard
        substituted as acting Head of Delegation from Germany.

   * Japan: Kiyoshi Ishihata
        No report.

   * Sweden: Bjorn Kallberg
        No report.

   * Switzerland: Alfred Strohmeier
        no report.

   * United Kingdom: John Barnes, Michael Pickett, Brian Wichmann
        They responded to ASIS document comments.

   * United States: Joyce Tokar (Head), Ted Baker, Currie Colket, Robert
     Dewar, Clyde Roby, Tucker Taft
        The US will probably constitute a Technical Advisory Group (TAG)
        for Ada.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scheduling of Meetings #33 and #34

The following resolution was approved.

RESOLUTION: Meetings #33 and #34 of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9 are scheduled as
follows:

   * Meeting #33: Friday, 14 Nov 1997, with Tri-Ada in St. Louis, Missouri,
     USA
   * Meeting #34: Friday, 12 June 1998, with Ada-Europe, Uppsala, Sweden

Rapporteur Groups are encouraged to meet in Ottawa, Canada in conjunction
with the SC22 Plenary meeting, 18-22 August 1997. The point of contact for
arranging meetings is Steve Michell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Electronic Communications and ISO Copyright Policy: Convener

JTC1 and SC22 are moving aggressively to eliminate paper distribution
of documents and to move toward electronic distribution methods, even
for balloting.  On the other hand, ISO seeks to impose its copyright
upon all products of the standardization product.  A one-year trial
period has been approved during which the requirement for ISO
copyright upon documents below the level of DIS has been suspended.

Additional information regarding these changes can be found at a Web
site dedicated to this purpose, {http://www.dkuug.dk/JTC1/IMPIT/}
particularly {http://www.dkuug.dk/JTC1/IMPIT/open/j1n4558/j1n4558.htm}.

It was noted that other standards groups are planning to make their
documents openly available.  JTC1 has indicated that SC22 can make
pilot projects to test their procedures.

Currie noted that electronic distribution of ASIS related documents
has been a necessity; information was provided in electronic form and
distributed and used electronically.  He made two points:

   1. Electronic distribution is indispensable for ASIS, allowing
      much more participation in the international community.
   2. The ASIS specification needs to be distributed electronically as
      it is a compilable Ada specification needed by ASIS implementors;
      the copyright policy is an issue for ASISRG.

Would the ASIS specification have to be licensed from ISO?  Alfred
suggested that we ask our Convener to ask the JTC1 Secretariat for
clarification/guidance, showing examples as POSIX, GKS (Fortran
binding), and the C Template Library.

It was noted that the IEEE POSIX group would not allow copying of any
of its standards, even with computer language code in them.  But they
later relented and allowed the distribution of the code.

Effects on WG9 participants

SC22 adopted a policy concerning formats, thus you should be prepared
to read documents in any of the following formats:

   * Hypertext Markup Language (HTML);
   * Portable Document Format (PDF);
   * Plain DOS Text file, encoded in ISO/IEC 8859-13;
   * Microsoft Word Version 2.0 or higher;
   * WordPerfect Version 5.1 or higher.
   * Rich Text Format (RTF)

Word is not a suitable mechanism for trading electronic documents.

For distributing documents where CONTENTS are important, HTML is a
good mechanism.  For distributing information where PRESENTATION is
more important, PostScript is probably the best.  But there are
problems with PostScript; it is not totally compatible for all
printers.  It was noted that PDF may be better than PostScript, but
many people have problems in generating PDF.

We concluded that we should avoid Word and WordPerfect for standards
documents, but not necessarily for informal documents.  Also,
PostScript is much more platform independent but it is not one of the
choices that ISO allows.  It was noted that although the ASIS Working
Draft is maintained in Microsoft Word, Version 6.0, the document is
also available in PostScript, ASCII, RTF, and hopefully soon, HTML.

WG9 will continue to use its Web site to make documents available. At
some point, we will set up a password-protected Web site also. We are
capable of doing this whenever it is desired.

For informal documents, HTML and plain ASCII text are preferred
methods of distribution. RTF may be preferable to either Word or
WordPerfect. Word documents should be designed so that
understandability is not hampered by changing page size between 8-1/2
x 11 and A4. The use of the default "Normal" style for text should be
avoided.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

WG9 has been using RGs as standing bodies, but they perform a task and
then go away.  Convener's policy is to aggressively discharge RGs when
their work is complete.

Project editors are recognized as officers of JTC1/SC22.  Convener
will aggressively appoint project editors; project editors maintain a
list of technical clarifications and corrections for a document and
then develop a Technical Corrigenda at an appropriate time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report of Project Editor, TR 11735: Nasser Kettani

22.35, TR 11735:1996, Real-time Extensions

The Type 2 Technical report was published 14 November 1996.

The following resolution was approved.

RESOLUTION: Having completed their chartered mission, the Real-Time
Rapporteur Group is discharged, as of Meeting #31, with the grateful
appreciation of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9. The RRG has made important
contributions to Ada technology through the drafting of Type 2 Technical
Report 11735, describing real-time extensions suitable for use with Ada.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report of Project Editor, IS 12227: Andreas Koeller

22.31, IS 12227:1995, SAMeDL

The following resolution was approved.

RESOLUTION: Having completed their chartered mission, the SQL Rapporteur
Group is discharged with the grateful appreciation of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9.
The SRG has made important contributions to Ada technology through the
drafting of the SAMeDL standard, IS 12227.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report of Ada Rapporteur Group: Erhard Ploedereder, Chair

22.10.01, IS 8652:1995, Ada Programming Language, Project Editors - Chris
Anderson and Tucker Taft (US)

ADMINISTRATIVE ACTION: Subject to approval by SC22, the convener appointed
Erhard Ploedereder and Bob Duff as Project Editors to perform the continuing
responsibilities associated with IS 8652:1995.

The following resolution was approved.

RESOLUTION: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9 expresses its grateful appreciation to
Chris Anderson and Tucker Taft for their accomplishments as Project Editors
of IS 8652:1995.

Standard Corrigendum

Erhard Ploedereder gave his report on the ARG. The ARG met at Henley and
approved a new set of AIs.  The AIs presented at the current WG9 meeting
reflect the work of the previous ARG meeting.

The following resolution was made.

RESOLUTION: To approve the following AIs which have been previously approved
by the ARG:

   * AI95-00001 -- Ada.Streams.Stream_IO.Stream can raise Status_Error
     (10-0-1)
   * AI95-00012 -- The first subtype of a type defined by an
     access[_type]_definition (10-0-0)
   * AI95-00054 -- When is a Small clause allowed? (6-1-0)
   * AI95-00060 -- No Predefined 'Truncate Attribute on Fixed-Point Types
     (6-0-1)
   * AI95-00064 -- Elaboration checks for renamings-as-body (9-0-0)
   * AI95-00086 -- Passing generic formal packages with (<>) (5-0-2)
   * AI95-00094 -- Exponentiation: 0.0 ** 0.0 raises Argument_Error. (7-0-0)
   * AI95-00099 -- Accuracy requirements for elementary functions (6-0-1)
   * AI95-00123 -- Equality for Composite Types (10-0-2)
   * AI95-00125 -- Order of Size and Small Clauses for Fixed Point Types
     (6-0-1)
   * AI95-00128 -- String Packages (12-0-0)
   * AI95-00135 -- Circular Renamings as Body (6-0-3)
   * AI95-00157 -- Visibility of Inherited Private Components (12-0-0)
   * AI95-00163 -- User-defined fixed,fixed multiplying op (10-0-1)
   * AI95-00180 -- Pragma Elaborate for Child Units (8-0-2)

Jean-Pierre Rosen of France raised an issue concerning AI95-00157 (an
editorial correction) and AI95-00163 (for which there was some
discussion).  No changes were made.

The above resolution was approved 8-0-0.

Briefing and Discussion of C Interfacing Issues

Briefing

There are several issues in this area:

  1. The problem with the positioning of exceptions in the C.Interfaces
     packages. This was resolved at the last WG9 meeting.
  2. The calling convention for records passed to C routines
  3. The rules for the conventions of inherited subprograms
  4. Java interfaces modeled in Ada by changing the renaming
     semantics a little bit. This is interesting but more must
     be written up.

The global question is: how progressive and how (in)compatible can changes
be to make Ada more easy to interface with other languages?

Calling Conventions

At issue is the parameter passing convention for records passed to a
subprogram with convention C (AI-131). The RM contains Implementation
Advice to use by-reference passing in this case. B.3(69). However, the
C standard passes structs by-value. While this Implementation Advice
models the C programming idiom to often pass structs by reference,
i.e., as t* rather than t, and hence is a convenience in many cases,
it also makes it impossible to interface to a C routine that does not
adhere to this idiom.

The possible actions are:

   * 1. Confirm the RM. The argument in favor is the "too late for the
     change" argument, since existing bindings relying on by-reference
     passing would be affected.
   * 2. Fix the RM to alter the Advice to by-value passing. The argument in
     favor is that this matches the C standard and that interfacing to all C
     routines becomes possible.
   * 2.a. As an alternative to 2, it has been proposed to advise by-value
     only for record types with convention C, thus slightly ameliorating the
     incompatibility.
   * 3. Follow the action of (at least) two Ada implementations which are
     providing implementation-defined pragmas to achieve by-value passing of
     records. In this case, form and semantics of the pragma should be
     specified. (The "too late" argument applies here as well, since the two
     implementations are rumored to have different semantics.)

The ARG is split on the issue. In Montreux, 2/2a was the preferred
alternative, in Vermont opinion swayed to 1, in Henley it received a 2:3:5
vote.

Discussion at this meeting included the following salient points.

In real terms, this is really a uniformity issue.  Should there be
Implementation Advice (which is relatively weak)?  Action 3.b. was
added; it was similar to 3 above, except that the pragma(s) would be
specified.

There was some discussion about whether or not real Ada bindings
should have an access type to the C struct, whether or not it is
implemented as call-by-value; but for the quick-and-dirty bindings, we
should be compatible with the C language standard.  It would remain as
Implementation Advice, though.

Action 2.b. was added. Make it a Binding Interpretation and reference
the C language standard.

We finally agreed to a straw vote (for the ARG) on the following two
actions:

   1. Make call-by-value mandatory (reference the C standard).
      The individuals present voted 13-1-1.
   2. Use mandatory pragma(s).
      The individuals present voted 6-1-8.

The following resolution passed 8-0-0.

RESOLUTION: It should be possible to write portable bindings to C
programs.  The ARG is requested to propose an appropriate mechanism.

Rules for the conventions of inherited subprograms

At issue are the language rules regarding the convention of
dispatching operations. Presently, the rules specify that their
calling convention is Ada, unless the convention is specifically
overridden. On the other hand, there is the rule that overriding
subprogram declarations must have the convention of the overridden
subprogram. (With friendly reading of the RM, inherited subprograms
inherit the convention of their parent, rather than being always of
convention Ada.)

If tagged types are interfaced to OOP types in another language,
e.g. C++, the imported operations will have to be of convention
C++. This leads to two problems:

  1. Although there is no choice on the convention of overriding subprograms
     for types derived from the interfaced type (they must be C++), the user
     is forced to insert a convention C++ pragma for each subprogram to make
     the program legal. This is unfriendly, error-prone, and clutters up the
     source code.
  2. If the convention pragmas on the parent subprograms are hidden in the
     private part of the interfacing package, the user nevertheless needs to
     know about them to make his program legal; this breaks the privacy
     rules.

The ARG therefore proposes new rules, which are reasonably
upward-compatible and much more friendly:

  1. All inherited and overridden subprograms inherit the convention of
     their parent subprogram. (a language change)
  2. New operations of type extensions have the convention of the type
     unless a new convention is defined for the operation, if this is
     permitted by an implementation. (a language change)
  3. Derived types have as default the convention of the parent type (which
     is the current rule of the language)
  4. The convention of the partial view of private types and private
     extension is the convention of the full type. (which is the current
     rule).

Erhard said that the ARG would produce an AI on this subject (the one
above) by next meeting.

Technical Corrigendum Timeframe

One of the technical editors, Bob Duff, is losing financial support.
Otherwise, a first draft could be done by July 1998, i.e., an initial
draft to look at.  A target date for completing the Corrigendum is
circa 2000.

The corrigendum will follow the C language approach -- issues and
responses.  The ARG's technical corrigendum will use mainly AIs
without discussion, thus it will be mostly editing the AIs.

A formal printing of the AIs is a product of the ARG.  We must make
sure that resources are well used.  The ARG's business is to be
preparing a Technical Corrigenda.  WG9 is required to have a formal
defect reporting process and the product of that process is the
Technical Corrigenda.  However, the priority of using resources should
be in correcting the current AIs.

It was noted that SC22 insists on periodically processing proposed
corrections and clarifications to standards.  WG9 cannot simply
maintain them on a web page without forwarding them for approval.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report of Annex H Rapporteur Group: Brian Wichmann, Chair

Supplementary Paper

The chair of the Annex H RG has provided a supplementary paper, High
Integrity Ada, which can be found at:
{http://www.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/WG9/HRG-High-Integrity-Ada.html}, {as a
PostScript file (57K bytes)}, and {as a text file (33K bytes)}.

Three documents were discussed at this time: the New Work Item,
the acceptance criteria, and the aforementioned paper.

Brian then led a discussion about why the guidelines are needed.  The
Supplier and Regulator need to sign-off the component that is being
developed/delivered.  Many suppliers provide their products to a prime
contractor and suppliers may be from different countries.  Many
suppliers are ignorant of Ada and some regulators are not
knowledgeable of Ada.  Many people do not think that the language for
development matters much, but the fact is that the "devil is in the
details" -- that is, the language does matter.  Brian concluded that
the HRG want an ISO document, which can be referenced, so that people
can use it for sign-off purposes.  This document could be either a
type 3 Technical Report or a standard.

Much discussion ensued.

The following resolution passed 6-0-1.

RESOLUTION: WG9 is prepared to accept responsibility for a project
resulting from the produced New Work Item.

An amendment to the following resolution to remove Wichmann's paper
passed 3-1-3.

The following resolution passed 6-0-1.

RESOLUTION: WG9 recommends approval of the proposed New Work Item [NWI
proforma (modified to not reference the Wichmann paper), expressions of
support of NBs].

The following resolution, entered by the US, to offer guidance to the
HRG from WG9, passed 6-0-1.

RESOLUTION: WG9 directs the HRG to present the resolution of this Work
Item in a positive fashion which includes some abstraction of the
regulatory rules; the resolution shall demonstrate:

    1. how Ada supports these abstractions
    2. how other languages support these abstractions
    3. usage paradigms for resolutions of these abstractions
       with a subset of Ada

WG9 saw this as an opportunity to show Ada's strengths to solve problems,
particularly in the safety critical community.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report of ASIS Rapporteur Group: Currie Colket, Chair

22.15291, WD 15291, Ada Semantic Interface Specification (ASIS), Project
Editors - Steve Blake and Clyde Roby (US)

As planned at the last meeting, the ASIS Working Draft was balloted by
national delegations and approved.

In accordance with the plan approved at the WG9 meeting of December
1996, the ASIS Project Editors prepared a revised Working Draft in
accordance with the comments received during the balloting and
prepared a Comment Disposition Report for consideration at this
meeting. Approval of the Comment Disposition Report authorizes the
Convener to forward the revised Working Draft to SC22 for CD
registration.

A number of comments came in; ASISRG divided these into Editorial
Comments and Technical Comments.  A Comments Summary and all Editorial
Comments were distributed with their resolutions and appropriate
rationale.  These are available electronically at:
{http://www.acm.org/sigada/WG/asiswg/Comments-Summary.html}.  An
Issues Summary and all technical Issues were distributed with their
resolutions and appropriate rationale.  These are available
electronically at:
{http://www.acm.org/sigada/WG/asiswg/Issues-Summary.html}.  Note that
issues submitted as a result of WG9's review begin with Issue #023.
The WG9 balloting process resulted in 90 Editorial Comments and 57
Technical Comments (Issues).  Those comments approved by ASISRG were
incorporated into ASIS version 2.0.M, distributed to WG9 on 1 May 1997
(except for three comments, now incorporated into ASIS version 2.0.N
and discussed below).

Editorial Comment #076: Provide an Index -- An index is now provided
with Ada syntactic categories denoted in lower case and ASIS
interfaces denoted with the first letter of underscored terms in upper
case.

Technical Comment #041: Example B.3 Does Not Compile -- Example B.3
could not be made executable for ASIS version 2.0.N, so it was
removed.  Dr. Sergey Rybin did implement ASIS version 2.0.M in
ASIS-for-GNAT to test the execution of Examples B.1 and B.2; these
execute correctly.

Technical Comment #047: Paragraph and Line Numbers -- The line numbers
have been removed to conform with ISO standards.  Paragraph numbers
were not added as ISO does not use paragraph numbers.  These would
have been difficult to automatically generate as much of the ASIS
paragraphing is provided in the form of compilable Ada comments.

Since the delivery of ASIS version 2.0.M to WG9, the status of
Technical Comment #064 was changed:

Technical Comment #064: Ada Wide_Character and Wide_String -- As a
result of discussions at the March meeting in Phoenix, we added about
42 duplicative interfaces; of these, nine created a problem.  Their
names were changed from XXX to Wide_XXX as a result of a compromise
solution in the last two weeks.  A possible better solution would be
to provide ONLY Wide_String; however, this issue will continue to be
discussed over the next few weeks.

ASIS version 2.0.N was distributed in hardcopy and in electronic form
(as a Word 6.0 document and as a PostScript file).  There is an index
of ASIS terms as well as Ada syntactic terms in this latest version of
ASIS.

Before the vote on the following resolution, Convener stated that if
the following resolution is approved, he will forward ASIS on to SC22
for Registration as an ISO Committee Draft (CD).

The following resolution passed 8-0-0.

RESOLUTION: The disposition of comments on the ASIS Working Draft ballot is
approved by WG9 and the Project Editor of project 15291 is authorized to
forward Version 2.0.N of the draft to the SC22 secretariat for CD
registration.

The following resolution was passed 8-0-0.

RESOLUTION: WG9 authorizes Convener, in his judgment, to combine CD
registration and CD ballot.

The following resolution was then voted on and passed 7-0-1.

RESOLUTION: WG9 authorizes Convener, in his judgment, to combine CD
registration and CD ballot and Final CD ballot.

ASIS version 2.0.N is now under configuration control.  If format
changes are needed by the ISO secretariat, ASISRG will do that before
forwarding to SC22 for registration as an ISO CD.  Otherwise, no
further changes can be made to ASIS at this time.

It was noted that the first ASIS 95 commercial tool, ObjectMaker by
Mark V Systems, was demonstrated at the Software Technology Conference
(STC'97).  A syntactic parser and semantic analyzer for Ada 87 was
replaced with ASIS 95 calls.  Only five days were needed to replace
the part that had previously taken 6 1/2 staff-years of effort to
create.

There are a number of people who have worked very hard to get ASIS to
where it is today.  We are indebted to the ASIS Working Group and ASIS
Rapporteur Group members who spent many hours evolving an ASIS for Ada
83 to an ASIS for Ada 95.  We are indebted to the work of the National
reviewers who provided excellent comments which will result in a
significantly improved ASIS specification for the Ada community.  We
are indebted to the many who helped resolve these issues.

These creators, reviewers, and resolvers included: Cheryl Barbasch,
Gary Barnes, John Barnes, Bill Beckwith, Roy Bell, Jim Bladen, Steve
Blake, Alex Blakemore, David Brookman, Gary Bundy, Dave Clark, Dan
Cooper, John Dawes, Robert Dewar, Bill Eastman, Bob Ekman, Dan
Ehrenfried, Dan Eilers, Magnus Ericson, Arthur Evans, Dan Fisher, Herm
Fischer, Vasiliy Fofanov, Wesley Hair, Hal Hart, Peter Hermann, Chuck
Hobin, Bob Hokanson, Rick Hudson, Kiyoshi Ishihata, Jesper Joergensen,
Bjorn Kallberg, Magnus Kempe, Allan Kopp, Alain Le Guennec, Robert
Leif, Pascal Leroy, Jim Longers, Ole Oest, Stefan Landherr, Bob
Mathis, Jim Moore, Peter Obermayer, Bertrand Petitprez, Michael
Pickett, Erhard Ploedereder, Ron Price, Gil Prine, Dan Rittersdorf,
Clyde Roby, Sergey Rybin, Tom Shields, Steen Silberg, John Solomond,
David Spenhoff, Doug Smith, Tom Strelich, Alfred Strohmeier, Joyce
Tokar, Bill Thomas, Kevin Tucker, Luba Vladavsky, Mickey White, Steve
Ziegler, and many others.

A very, very special thanks to those who served in key positions in
making ASIS happen.  These folks are: Currie Colket (ASISWG
Chair/ASISRG Chair), Steve Blake (ASISWG Vice Chair, ASISRG
Co-Editor), Clyde Roby (ASISWG Recorder, ASISRG Co-Editor), Dan Cooper
(ASISWG Vice-Recorder), Dr. Bill Thomas (ASISWG Vice Chair for
Publicity/Meetings), Gary Barnes (ASISWG Archivist), Cheryl Barbasch
(Active Member), Dr. Robert Dewar (Active member), Bob Hokanson
(Active Member), Jesper Joergensen (Active Member), Dan Rittersdorf
(Active Member), Dr. Sergey Rybin (Active Member), Steen Silberg
(Active Member), Professor Alfred Strohmeier (Active Member), and
Dr. Joyce Tokar (Active Member).  Several monumental efforts should be
recognized: Sergey Rybin rapidly brought ASIS-for-GNAT to ASIS version
2.0.M, making possible the testing of the examples by Bill Thomas; and
Clyde Roby and Steve Blake did a fantastic job as technical editors. A
very special thanks goes to Clyde Roby who is truly a wizard at
generating a large technical document and making the World Wide Web
effective for the dissemination of ASIS information via the ASIS Home
Page.  His work in providing ASIS and the Resolution of Editorial and
Technical Comments on the ASIS Home Page was vital to the success of
ASIS.  And yes, a special thanks goes to Dan Ehrenfried whose idea for
the LRM interfaces mushroomed into ASIS.  Currie Colket remarked that
it was a distinct pleasure to work with a highly professional and
cooperative team dedicated to producing a powerful interface to the
Ada compilation environment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Report of Numerics Rapporteur Group: Convener

22.10.02, IS 11430:1994, Ada Numeric Functions, Project Editor - Ken Dritz
(US)

22.10.03, IS 11729:1994, Ada Primitive Functions, Project Editor - Ken Dritz
(US)

22.10.04, DIS 13813, Ada Complex Functions, Project Editors - Don Sando and
Ken Dritz (US)

22.10.05, DIS 13814, Ada Complex Elementary Functions, Project Editors - Jon
Squire and Ken Dritz (US)

We can support the above two documents through DIS resolution now since
we have project editors in place.

The following resolution was passed 8-0-0.

RESOLUTION: Having completed their chartered mission, the Numerics
Rapporteur Group is discharged with the grateful appreciation of
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9. The NRG has made important contributions to Ada
technology through: (1) the drafting of supplementary arithmetic
standards 11430 and 11729; (2) the drafting of the Numerics Annex of
the Ada 95 standard; and (3) the drafting of two DIS documents for
Complex Arithmetic. The NRG's achievements have been widely recognized
including recognition as recipients of an Ada Distinguished Service
Award, presented by SIGAda.

The indicated individuals will continue to be listed as Project
Editors of the existing standards and the two new drafts. As many of
you know, funding problems endanger the active support of these
editors. So further changes may become necessary.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liaisons and Other Related Work

WG4 (Cobol): Ben Brosgol
        No report.

WG11 (Language Independent Standards): (No active liaison)
        We may have a candidate.

WG14 ( C ): (No active liaison)
        This Working Group has expressed a desire to work closely with other
        language WGs to specify inter-language calling conventions.

        We should send them a copy of what we're doing with respect to
        interfacing with the C language (in ARG).

WG15 (POSIX): Ted Baker
        This is on a fast-track ballot at JTC1.
        X-Windows bindings have stalled.
        Sockets bindings are still open; much POSIX work is falling off
        due to lack of participation.  An issue was raised about whether
        sockets should be implemented as tagged types (Ada95) or not (Ada83).
        POSIX real-time interest has fallen off; smaller companies are
        doing the work but can't put resources on standardization efforts.

WG16 (LISP): (No active liaison)
        No report.

WG21 (C++): (No active liaison)
        No report.

SC21/WG3 (IRDS): Currie Colket
        It was noted that the IRDS Ada binding is the first Ada 95 ISO
        standard binding.  The reference to that document is:

                Amendment 2:1996 to ISO/IEC 10728:1993
                Ada language binding
                Number of pages: 20

        The base document is:

                ISO/IEC 10728:1993
                Information technology -- Information Resource Dictionary
                System (IRDS) Services Interface
                Number of pages: 108

The following resolution was passed:

RESOLUTION: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9 expresses its grateful appreciation
to Currie Colket for his service as liaison to SC21/WG3 (IRDS).

SC22 JSG (Java Study Group): Bob Mathis

>From Bob Mathis, Convener, SC22 Java Study Group (JSG) -- Sun decided
to apply for PAS (Publicly Available Specification) submitter status
and use that approach for initial standardization of Java. The JTC1
ballot on this application closes July 14 so the results at not yet
known. There has been some discussion on this topic on the JSG mailing
list. There have been more formal public comments associated with the
US voting process.

ECMA TC-39 has completed its initial work in developing a standard
based on JavaScript and JScript. Bob expects it to be approved by the
ECMA General Assembly at the end of June and submitted for ISO Fast
Track processing very soon after that. Anyone interested in reviewing
that standard should contact Bob directly.

The JSG will hold its next meeting, June 30 - July 1, 1997, at BSI in
London, UK.

More information can be obtained: about the Java Study Group from
{http://www.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC22/JSG}, about the US consideration of Sun's
application from {http://www.jtc1tag.org}, and about the ECMA TC-39 from
{http://www.ecma.ch}.

Participation in the work of JSG is welcomed; information about the mailing
list is on the Web page.

Other questions can be sent to Bob Mathis directly:
[email-masked]}.

IEEE CS SESC: Jim Moore

        IEEE Std 990 (PDL/Ada) will be administratively withdrawn this
        year because there is no interest in updating it to the level
        of Ada 95 and object-oriented technology.

ARA: Joyce Tokar
        ARA met at Tri-Ada'96 (all members were present except for
        Rational).  There have been no meetings since then.  Oliver
        Cole says to "lay low" until interest in Ada95 increases.
        The AdaIC is now administrator of ARA's stuff.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfinished Business

The following resolution passed.

RESOLUTION: Having completed their chartered mission, the Uniformity
Rapporteur Group is discharged, as of Meeting #30, with the grateful
appreciation of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9. The URG has made important
contributions to Ada technology through the promotion of uniform
implementation of Ada language features.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Business

The following resolution passed.

RESOLUTION: WG9 gratefully recognizes and appreciates the fine work of Clyde
Roby in developing and maintaining the WG9 Web Page.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Administrative Actions

The following Rapporteur Group Chairs were reappointed: Erhard Ploedereder
(ARG), Currie Colket (ASIS RG), and Brian Wichmann (Annex H RG).

Subject to approval by SC22, the convener appointed Andreas Koeller as
Project Editor to perform the continuing responsibilities associated with IS
12227:1995 (SAMeDL).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adjournment

Adjournment occurred at about 6:00 pm.

_______________end of minutes; beginning of resolutions _________________

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9 N331 -- Resolutions from Meeting #32

RESOLUTION: The Minutes of Meeting #31 (N323) are approved with the
following corrections:

  1. his term will run though August 2000: though -> through
  2. contains the Table of Contents, Forward, General, and: Forward ->
     Foreword
  3. between 1.1.96 and 31.11.96: 31 -> 30 (Erhard said 31, but November  
     has 30 days only.)
  4. whether technical details of AIs should discussed at WG-9 meetings:
     should -> should be
  5. Tom Plumb has replaced him: Plumb -> Plum

RESOLUTION: Meetings #33 and #34 of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9 are scheduled as
follows:

   * Meeting #33: Friday, 14 Nov 1997, with Tri-Ada in St. Louis, Missouri,
     USA
   * Meeting #34: Friday, 12 June 1998, with Ada-Europe, Uppsala, Sweden

Rapporteur Groups are encouraged to meet in Ottawa, Canada in conjunction
with the SC22 Plenary meeting, 18-22 August 1997. The point of contact for
arranging meetings is Steve Michell.

RESOLUTION: The following Ada Issues, previously approved by the ARG,
are approved by WG9:

   * AI95-00001 -- Ada.Streams.Stream_IO.Stream can raise Status_Error
   * AI95-00012 -- The first subtype of a type defined by an
     access[_type]_definition
   * AI95-00054 -- When is a Small clause allowed?
   * AI95-00060 -- No Predefined 'Truncate Attribute on Fixed-Point Types
   * AI95-00064 -- Elaboration checks for renamings-as-body 
   * AI95-00086 -- Passing generic formal packages with (<>) 
   * AI95-00094 -- Exponentiation: 0.0 ** 0.0 raises Argument_Error. 
   * AI95-00099 -- Accuracy requirements for elementary functions
   * AI95-00123 -- Equality for Composite Types 
   * AI95-00125 -- Order of Size and Small Clauses for Fixed Point Types
   * AI95-00128 -- String Packages
   * AI95-00135 -- Circular Renamings as Body
   * AI95-00157 -- Visibility of Inherited Private Components
   * AI95-00163 -- User-defined fixed, fixed multiplying op
   * AI95-00180 -- Pragma Elaborate for Child Units

RESOLUTION: The following guidance is provided to the Ada Rapporteur Group 
in dealing with Ada Issues: it should be possible to write portable 
bindings to C programs.  The Ada Rapporteur Group is requested to propose 
an appropriate mechanism.

RESOLUTION: WG9 forwards a proposed New Work Item, "Guidance for the Use
of Ada in High Integrity Systems," to ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22 and recommends that 
SC22 propose its approval by JTC1. WG9 is prepared to accept the 
responsibility for the performance of this project.

[The submission will be modified to delete the reference to the Wichmann
paper and the expressions of national body support will be added.]

RESOLUTION: WG9 provides the following direction to the Annex H 
Rapporteur Group (HRG) for the performance of any project resulting
from approval of the proposed New Work Item on "Guidance for the Use
of Ada in High Integrity Systems": 

WG9 directs the HRG to present the resolution of this Work
Item in a positive fashion which includes some abstraction of the
regulatory rules; the resolution shall demonstrate:

    1. how Ada supports these abstractions
    2. how other languages support these abstractions
    3. usage paradigms for resolutions of these abstractions
       with a subset of Ada

RESOLUTION: The disposition of comments on the ASIS Working Draft ballot is
approved by WG9 and the Project Editor of project 15291 is authorized to
forward Version 2.0.N of the draft to the SC22 secretariat for CD
registration.

RESOLUTION: WG9 authorizes the Convener, in his judgment, to request
simultaneous processing of any or all of the following steps in the 
progress of project 15291: CD registration, CD ballot, final CD ballot. 

RESOLUTION: Having completed its chartered mission, the Real-Time
Rapporteur Group is discharged, as of Meeting #31, with the grateful
appreciation of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9. The RRG has made important
contributions to Ada technology through the drafting of Type 2 Technical
Report 11735, describing real-time extensions suitable for use with Ada.

RESOLUTION: Having completed its chartered mission, the SQL Rapporteur
Group is discharged with the grateful appreciation of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9.
The SRG has made important contributions to Ada technology through the
drafting of the SAMeDL standard, IS 12227.

RESOLUTION: Having completed its chartered mission, the Numerics
Rapporteur Group is discharged with the grateful appreciation of
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9. The NRG has made important contributions to Ada
technology through: (1) the drafting of supplementary arithmetic
standards 11430 and 11729; (2) the drafting of the Numerics Annex of
the Ada 95 standard; and (3) the drafting of two DIS documents for
Complex Arithmetic. The NRG's achievements have been widely recognized
including recognition as recipients of an Ada Distinguished Service
Award, presented by SIGAda.

RESOLUTION: Having completed its chartered mission, the Uniformity
Rapporteur Group is discharged, as of Meeting #30, with the grateful
appreciation of ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9. The URG has made important
contributions to Ada technology through the promotion of uniform
implementation of Ada language features.

RESOLUTION: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9 expresses its grateful appreciation to
Chris Anderson and Tucker Taft for their accomplishments as Project Editors
of IS 8652:1995.

RESOLUTION: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9 expresses its grateful appreciation
to Currie Colket for his service as liaison to SC21/WG3 (IRDS).

RESOLUTION: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG9 expresses its grateful appreciation
to Clyde Roby for developing and maintaining the WG9 Web Page.

ADMINISTRATIVE ACTIONS

The following administrative actions were taken by the convener:

The following Rapporteur Group Chairs were reappointed: Erhard Ploedereder
(ARG), Currie Colket (ASIS RG), and Brian Wichmann (Annex H RG).

Subject to approval by SC22, the convener appointed Andreas Koeller as
Project Editor to perform the continuing responsibilities associated with IS
12227:1995.

Subject to approval by SC22, the convener appointed Erhard Ploedereder 
and Bob Duff as Project Editors to perform the continuing responsibilities 
associated with IS 8652:1995.

__________________end of document SC22 N2515 ___________________________