Subject: SC22 N2510 - SC22 Chairman's Report on Reengineering Ad Hoc

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 12:39:49 -0400 (EDT)

____________________beginning of title page _______________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2510

July 1997

TITLE:
SC22 Chairman's Report on the JTC 1 Ad Hoc on JTC 1 Reengineering Meeting
Held June 16-20, 1997 in London, United Kingdom

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
Note that this report will be discussed further at the August 1997 JTC
1/SC22 Plenary

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2506, N2507, N2508, N2509

DOCUMENT TYPE:
N/A

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies, WG Conveners and HODs for consideration.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

_____________end of title page; beginning of report ________________
SC22 Chairman's Report on JTC1 Ad Hoc on Re-engineering Meeting

I participated on your behalf at the meeting of the JTC1 Ad Hoc on
Re-engineering that met in London on 16-20 June 1997. 

Ad Hoc items of particular interest to SC22 are as follows: 

* The Ad Hoc recommended a JTC1 reorganization plan based on the 14
Technical Directions shown in Attachment 1.  A ballot is being distributed
to JTC1 and, if approved, will result in the following: 

	-- Subcommittees 14, 18, 21, and 30 will go out of existence; 
	-- A new SC for Data Management Services will be created
consisting of the projects previously in SCs 14 and 30 plus those projects
in SC21/WG3 relating to data base and data management; 
	-- A new SC for Distributed Application Services will be created
consisting of projects previously in SC18/WG4 and SC21/WG7, the ASN.1
project in SC21, and the remaining projects in SC21/WG3; 
	-- SC18/WG8 and SC18/WG9 will temporarily become independent WGs
reporting directly to JTC1. 

	Several Technical Directions have more than one SC.  These SCs are
urged to have dialog and encouraged to move toward operating as a single
SC.  Technical Directions with only one SC (such as the one containing
SC22) will continue operating substantially as before.  All SCs are
encouraged to use the "tool box" to engage others in the standards
development process (see second paragraph of JTC1 N4775 which we are
distributing as SC22 N2506). 

	Further details are in SC22 N2506. 

* During the meeting, France took a strong position that SC18/WG9, SC2,
and SC22/WG20 should be placed in the same Technical Direction.  I
explained the origin of WG20 and its close relationship with programming
languages and POSIX.  WG20 remains in SC22, at least for the time being
(but see next bullet). 

* The Ad Hoc took note of the three common strategic characteristics in
document JTC1 N4627 (SC22 N2461).  It noted that considerable groundwork
had been done in the areas of portability and interoperability but that
this was not the case (across JTC1) for cultural adaptability. 
Accordingly, the Ad Hoc recommended that JTC1 authorize a workshop on
cultural adaptability to be held no later than March, 1998.  The workshop
is expected to have cross JTC1 participation, to develop policies to guide
activities in this area, and to develop a process to ensure cultural
adaptability.  Among other things, the workshop will address
organizational issues, including the placement of work currently in
SC18/WG9, SC2, and SC22/WG20.  It will, of course, be essential that SC22
have strong participation in the workshop. 

	JTC1 SCs are being encouraged to submit an offer to serve as host
for the workshop.  I understand that the US may suggest that SC22 be the
sponsor. 

	The workshop proposal is in JTC1 N4789 (SC22 N2508) and will be an
agenda item at our August plenary. 

* The Ad Hoc recommended that Technical Corrigenda under ballot no longer
be distributed at the JTC1 level, but only to the concerned SC.  National
Body contributions on this topic are being solicited for consideration at
the JTC1 September plenary. 

* All SCs are being requested to review the SC21 procedures for the SC21
Maintenance Pilot Project which we already have on our agenda for our
Ottawa plenary (agenda item 11.2.2 regarding documents SC22 N2373 and
N2374). 

For further information, see the complete set of Ad Hoc recommendations in
JTC1 N4780 (SC22 N2507). 

Attachment 1

 Proposed Organizational Structure of Technical Directions

Data Capture and Identification Systems 	SC 17, SC 31

Data Management Services			SC 30, SC 14, SC 21/WG 3  
                                                (most)

Distributed Application Services		SC 21/ WG 7, SC 18/WG 4,  
                                                ASN.1

Information Interchange Media			SC 11, SC 23

IT Terminology					SC 1

Multimedia and Representation			SC 24, SC 29

Networking & Interconnects			SC 6, SC 25, SC 26

Office Equipment				SC 28

Programming Languages & Software Interfaces	SC 22

Security					SC 27

Software Engineering				SC 7

User Interfaces					SC 18/WG 9

Document Description Languages			SC 18/WG 8  

Coded Character Sets				SC 2

______________________ end of SC22 N2510 ____________________________