Subject: SC22 N2514 - JTC 1 IT Strategy Timeline

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 12:32:36 -0400 (EDT)

___________________beginning of title page ____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2514

July 1997

TITLE:
JTC 1 IT Strategy Timeline

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
Note that consideration of this document will be an agenda item for the
August 1997 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary.

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2511, N2512, N2513

DOCUMENT TYPE:
N/A

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies, WG Conveners and HODs for consideration.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

________________________end of title page; beginning of text ____________

JTC1 N4796 

JTC 1 IT Strategy Timeline

September 1997	begin:  document distribution via the web
			begin:  hyperlinked document registers
			begin:  e-mail notification of newly available 
                                documents
			begin:  security password distribution for members
			begin:  hyperlinked agenda for JTC 1 plenary
			begin:	problem solving "hit team" 
			[Problems/Suggestions should be sent to Michelle  
                        Maas ([email-masked]) who will distribute problems
                        to "hit team" to resolve.]

December 1997		end:	diskette distribution
			begin:	paper distribution for those without access
			meet:	ad hoc to share successes/resolve issues

March 1998		begin:	JTC 1 Secretariat web based balloting and  
                                tabulation 

June 1998		review:	non-web based distribution
			give:	status on implementation
			end:	ad hoc on IT Strategy (Determine the 
				ongoing maintenance requirements of policy
				and tips-and-techniques documents)

Operating Principles:

As a WG document progresses through the SC to the JTC 1,the 
following is understood:

 -	SC "owns" the document, provides a cover page with necessary 
actions and assigns an SC document number

 -	work progresses to the JTC 1 level (JTC 1 "owns") where the 
JTC 1 Secretariat adds a cover page with necessary actions and 
a JTC 1 number, posts to the web, and sends e-mail notification 
to NBs that such a "distribution" has occurred

 - 	NB processes the document locally to their members, either 
forwarding the JTC 1 e-mail or through extracting the necessary 
files, attaching a cover page with local information, and 
distributing using local "rules"

The following assumptions are therefore made:

 -	mirroring or extractions are permitted by NBs - NBs take 
responsibility for distribution to their members in a timely 
manner

 -	mirroring or extraction are not mandatory - it is up to the NB to 
determine local operation and if such an activity is "value 
added" for their membership

 -	posting of documents for a meeting shall cut off 1 week prior to 
the meeting to permit adequate time for NB distribution and 
review

 -	announcement of late documents before a meeting should have 
a cutoff time of one week before the meeting in order to ensure 
"fair" worldwide distribution.

 -	if a document is limited to "members only" distribution, NBs 
must retain the secure nature of those documents worldwide 

 -	based on the preparedness of a given SC, the date by which 
diskette distribution will end shall be left up to the SC so long 
as it occurs by end of year, 1997.  This phased implementation 
towards web servers may actually be a benefit for those NBs 
handling multiple SCs

____________________ end of SC22 N2514 ______________________________