Subject: SC22 N2508 - Request for Workshop on Cultural Adaptability

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 12:18:46 -0400 (EDT)

_________________beginning of title page ____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2508

July 1997

TITLE:
Request for a JTC 1 Workshop on Cultural Adaptability

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
Note that consideration of this request will be an agenda item for the
August 1997 JTC 1/SC22 Plenary.

CROSS REFERENCE:
SC22 N2510

DOCUMENT TYPE:
N/A

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies, WG Conveners and HODS for consideration.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153 USA
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

____________________end of title page; beginning of text _____________

ISO/IEC JTC 1                                                         
Information Technology                                                

ISO/IEC  JTC 1 N 4789                   

DATE:  1997.06.25     

REPLACES                                     

DOC TYPE:
Other document                                                        

TITLE:
Request for a JTC 1 Workshop on Cultural Adaptability                 

SOURCE:
JTC 1 Secretariat                                                     

PROJECT:                   

STATUS:
As per Reengineering Ad Hoc Recomemndation 7, this document is        
circulated to JTC 1 National Bodies for a 60-day letter ballot.       
Subcommittees are encouraged  to participate in this Workshop and to  
submit an offer to Host the Workshop.                                 

ACTION ID:  LB  

DUE DATE:  1997.08.29

DISTRIBUTION:  P and L Members                                             

MEDIUM:  D

DISKETTE NO.:  139       

NO. OF PAGES:  3         

Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1, American National Standards Institute, 11 
West 42nd Street, New York, NY  10036; Telephone:  1 212 642 4932;    
Facsimile:  1 212 398 0023; Email:  [email-masked]                 

In accordance with JTC 1 Reengineering Ad Hoc Recommendation 7, the JTC 1
Secretariat is issuing a 60 day letter ballot to authorize a Workshop on
Cultural Adaptability to be held no later than March 1998.  The
recommended scope of the Workshop is as follows: 

* Engage multiple Technical Direction JTC 1 participation

* Develop policies to guide activities (in a like manner to that of
interoperability and portability) 

* Develop a process to ensure cultural adaptability

* Elaborate or amend the definition of cultural adaptability as contained
in document JTC 1 N 4627

* Recommended placement for Coded Character Sets and the relationship with
User Interface

* Increase the responsiveness of JTC 1 to cultural adaptability issues and
increase the visibility of JTC 1 in this endeavor

* Recommendations from the HLSG on CALS concerning multi-byte character
sets and internationalization should be taken into consideration

JTC 1 Subcommittees are encouraged to participate in this Workshop.  JTC 1
Subcommittees are further encouraged to submit an offer to serve as the
Host for this Workshop. 

The results of this Workshop are to be submitted to JTC 1 for review and
approval by the JTC 1 National Bodies.  Based on the Workshop conclusions,
JTC 1 expects to receive Workshop recommendations on the placement within
JTC 1 of SC 22/WG 20 (Internationalization) and SC 2 (Coded Character
Sets). 

______________end of SC22 N2508 _________________________________