Subject: SC22 N2503 - WG17 Business Plan and Convener's Report

From: "william c. rinehuls" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 13:25:10 -0400 (EDT)

_______________beginning of title page ____________________________
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces
Secretariat: U.S.A.  (ANSI)

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22
N2503

July 1997

TITLE:
WG127 Business Plan and WG17 Convener's Report for the August 1997 JTC 1/
SC22 Plenary

SOURCE:
Secretariat, ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22

WORK ITEM:
N/A

STATUS:
Please note that consideration of this Report and Business Plan will be an
agenda item for the August 1997 SC22 Plenary.

CROSS REFERENCE:
N/A

DOCUMENT TYPE:
Convener's Report

ACTION:
To SC22 Member Bodies for review.

Address reply to:
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 Secretariat
William C. Rinehuls
8457 Rushing Creek Court
Springfield, VA 22153
Tel:  +1 (703) 912-9680
Fax:  +1 (703) 912-2973
email:  [email-masked]

__________________end of title page; beginning of report ______________

BUSINESS PLAN AND CONVENER'S REPORT: ISO/IEC JTC1/SC22/WG17 (PROLOG)

PERIOD COVERED: 
August 1996 - May 1997

SUBMITTED BY: 
R S Scowen  (ISO/IEC JTC1 SC22 WG17 Convener)
9 Birchwood Grove, Hampton, Middlesex
United Kingdom     TW12 3DU
E-mail: [email-masked]
27 June 1997

1. MANAGEMENT SUMMARY

1.1 JTC1/SC22/WG17 STATEMENT OF SCOPE 

  Development of ISO/IEC standards related to the programming language
  Prolog.

1.2 PROJECT REPORT 

1.2.1 COMPLETED PROJECTS 

JTC1.22.22.01 -- ISO/IEC 13211-1 Prolog - Part 1: General core

  ISO/IEC 13211-1 was published in June 1995.  So far, no serious
  problems have been reported.

1.2.2 PROJECTS UNDERWAY 

JTC1.22.22.02 -- ISO/IEC 13211-2 Prolog - Part 2: Modules

  CD 13211-2 was approved in a ballot ending in January 1997. A
  disposition of comments has been agreed at the WG17 meeting in
  Schliersee, Germany (28-30 April 1997), and will be published
  shortly. The Final CD ballot is scheduled for December 1997.

  A meeting has been provisionally scheduled for next summer to
  handle the Disposition of Comments and hopefully prepare the
  publication of the DIS.

1.2.3 COOPERATION AND COMPETITION 

  WG17 has always tried to cooperate with the whole Prolog community.
  Although many are not well aware of Prolog and its unique
  functionality, there are many important applications.  Where
  appropriate, WG17 has established contact with other SC22 working
  groups. There is no direct competition with any other efforts.

2.0 PERIOD REVIEW 

2.1 MARKET REQUIREMENTS 

  The Prolog user community has not expressed any wish for changes or
  extensions to ISO/IEC 13211-1 except for the definition of a module
  facility (which will be Part 2).

2.2 ACHIEVEMENTS 

  ISO/IEC 13211-1 (Prolog, General core) was published in June 1995.

  CD 13211-2 (Modules) was approved in Jan 1997.

  SC22 WG17's web site is:
    http://www.sju.edu/~jhodgson/wg17/wg17web.html

2.3 RESOURCES 

  Although resources in general are declining, the future of the
  current WG17 projects seems to be secured.  There is a project editor
  and backup project editor for Part 2 as well as for the completed
  core Language Standard.

3.0 FOCUS NEXT WORK PERIOD 

  For the upcoming work period, WG17's main task will be the
  preparation, publication, and balloting of of the Final CD for Part 2.

3.1 DELIVERABLES 

  ISO/IEC 13211-2 Prolog - Part 2: Modules 
  Publication of Final CD                 Dec 1997
  Final CD - Disposition of comments      Aug 1998
  Publication of DIS                      Oct 1998
  Camera ready copy of standard to ITTF   Feb 1999
  
3.2 STRATEGIES 

  The final CD is being considered inside WG17 prior to publication 
  in order to try and obtain the maximum possible agreement from the
  countries who voted 'NO' to the CD.

3.2.1 RISKS 

  Unexpectedly heavy technical comment could delay Part 2.  However, no
  problems are anticipated.

3.2.2 OPPORTUNITIES 

  No further opportunities have been identified.

3.3 WORK PROGRAM PRIORITIES 

  The completion of ISO/IEC 13211-2 has priority at present.

4. OTHER ITEMS 

  This section lists other items that are not part of the "Business
  Plan" but are appropriate for Convener's Report.

4.1 POSSIBLE ACTION REQUEST AT FORTHCOMING PLENARY

  None.

4.2 RE-APPOINTMENT OF CONVENER 

  Roger Scowen is able to accept nomination for re-appointment as WG17
  convener at the 1997 SC22 plenary.

4.3 PROJECT EDITORS

  The following individuals have been appointed project editors and
  backup project editors, respectively:

  JTC1.22.22.01 -- Prolog, Base Language
    Roger Scowen (main), Jonathan Hodgson (backup)

  JTC1.22.22.02 -- Prolog, Modules
    Jonathan Hodgson (main), Roger Scowen (backup)

4.4 ELECTRONIC DOCUMENT DISTRIBUTION

  WG17 has been working over e-mail for a considerable time now, and
  recent decisions within the working group have mostly been taken
  using e-mail.

4.5 RECENT MEETING

  The last meeting of WG17 took place at Schliersee, Bavaria, Germany,
  28-30 April 1997.

4.6 FUTURE MEETINGS

  As soon as the end of the Final CD ballot for ISO/IEC 13211-2 is
  known, a meeting will be scheduled to handle the Disposition of
  Comments and the preparation of the DIS.

________________end of document SC22 N2503 ______________________