Subject: N 4275 - IEEE Notification on P754 Standard for Floating-Point Ar ithmetic

From: Sally Seitz <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 14:32:59 -0400

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 
Programming languages, their environments and system software interfaces 

Secretariat:  U.S.A.  (ANSI) 

ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC22 N4275 

TITLE: IEEE Notification on P754 Standard for Floating-Point Arithmetic

DATE ASSIGNED: 
2007-09-14

SOURCE: 
SC 22 Secretariat 

BACKWARD POINTER: 

DOCUMENT TYPE: 
Other (Defined)

PROJECT NUMBER: 

STATUS: 
This document is circulated for information.

ACTION IDENTIFIER: 
FYI 

DUE DATE: 
N/A 

DISTRIBUTION: 
Text 

CROSS REFERENCE: 

DISTRIBUTION FORM: 
DEF

Sally Seitz
Program Manager
American National Standards Institute
25 West 43rd Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10036
Tel: 212 642 4918
Fax: 212 840 2298

____________________________________________end of cover page, beginning of
document______________________
This notification is to advise you that the
P754 Standard for Floating-Point Arithmetic
sponsor has decided to terminate this ballot due to

The current draft of the P754 Standard for Floating Point Arithmetic
has change significantly from the review of comments received and
reorganization into a more organized document.  These changes were
driven by more than 400 comments on the first ballot, 127 comments on
the first recirculation and now over 224 comments on the second
recirculation.

Major changes include:
    1.The moving the normative annexes into the main body of the text.
    2. The addition of a clause on reproducible results for
computations using this standard
    3. The possible addition of extendable precision formats.
    4. The expansion on the treatment of transcendental and other
functions

These changes have modified the draft to the point that it is not
feasible to have a clear document showing changes from the original
balloted draft to the current draft; any such document would show
mostly change and hence would be less useful than considering the new
draft as a whole.

This has led to a requirement to re-ballot the draft. Because of the
inability of the myBallot tool to cope with a re-ballot using the
existing ballot panel, a new call for participation must be issued, and
a new ballot group created.  We do hope that the current ballot group
will sign on to the new ballot group.
I am starting this process at this time with a 15 day ballot
invitation.

Because of the large changes with respect to language standards,
participation from language experts is requested in the review of this
new draft.

This invitation will go to the existing ballot group and to the 754
mailing list and the MSC mailing list.  This is also an opportunity for
other interested parties to sign up for the ballot. Please forward the
invitation to any interested parties.

This means that the ballot group has been disbanded.  If the ballot
starts again from the invitation stage, you must re-enroll in the
ballot
group when the sponsor initiates that function.